675 students|Jordan District

Bad
Good

I've had two kids in school here for the last six years. The teachers we have worked with have all been fantastic and school administration is outstanding.

We've had kids going here for 6 years and haven't had a bad experience yet! The office staff is friendly and helpful. Our kids have liked all of their teachers and have tested well and have good grades. This year we will have a 6th grader, 3rd grader, and one who will be doing full day kindergarten. They are all very excited for the next year!

We just moved into the area this last year and we were trying to decide if we should send our children to a nearby charter school or to our neighborhood school, Westvale. Our children have been at Westvale since the beginning of the school year and have enjoyed their first year at the school. I have no complaints. My kid's 2nd and 3rd grade teachers are amazing. The communication between teachers/school and parents is very good. My kids have continued to excel at Westvale and get the individualized attention they need.

We just moved to utah this past year and we are zoned for Westvale. I wasn't sure what to expect of the schools out here. My 5th grader and I both love this school and his teacher. Rebecca Rendell is an amazing teacher and my son has learned so much from her. Overall this is a wonderful school and I am very happy!

Funny how the latest reviews blames the minorities and the poor kids for the failures of this school. The last principal was the wife of a bishop of a nearby ward. I bet the last review was written by one of her fellow ward members. Westvale is worst than schools in Glendale that have refuge children who speak a multitude of languages. shame on this women for blaming children just because they are darker than her and not as affluent.

When it came time to send my oldest to school, I put a lot of thought into whether to send her to Westvale, our neighborhood school, or to take her to a school that looked better "on paper" (test scores, etc.). I found out that Westvale has many students whose first language is something other than English, and also there are enough students from low income families that the school recently qualified for extra Title One funding. I decided that the test scores probably reflect those two factors more than reflecting badly on the teaching. I also felt a desire to contribute to the school as an involved parent, rather than seeking "greener pastures". Involved parents do make a difference! In our family's combined 6+ years at Westvale, we've been happy with the level of attention and learning our kids are receiving. This school has some excellent teachers, a good amount of involved parents, and helpful staff that listens to parents. I have had a few occasions when I've brought concerns or sought clarification for things my kids talked about, and I've always had prompt and helpful responses from staff. I also think the PTA at this school has done a good job, from what I've seen.

This school seems to be quickly going down hill. The new principal comes accross as very controling. The school has been turned into a title one school this year, which I am forsquare against (because of mediocracy). And the most of the teachers have been reassigned to a new grade level for next year (2013-2014). Between the new curriculum and the unfamiliarity of grades, next year looks like a bust. My kids have been here for 4 years. 3 of their teachers were awesome, 2 were just mediocer. However, I am becoming very dissatisfied and am looking for a new school.

this school is just horrible never let your kid go here the teachers are mean

I was not impressed with this school at all. 1-In 6th grade my daughter had a teacher who spent most of his day asleep instead of teaching the kids. I emailed EVERYONE I could. Called the principal monthly and nothing was done about it until I called Get Gephardt. The teacher is actually not teaching there anymore. 2-The school psychologist and the teacher spent over and hour encouraging me to put my ADHD son on medication. It seems medicated kids are easier to handle.

My special needs son went to Westvale, and he was bullied horribly. His IEP was not followed, and the principal was not willing to work with us. When we discussed the bullying with the teachers, we were told that he was simply in a class of tough kids, and there was nothing they could do about it. My son's class had very low parent involvement. Most of the parents in the neighborhood who are involved with their kids education have pulled their kids from the school in favor of the charter schools in the area.

Last modified Westvale School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.