691 students|Jordan District
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This school seeks to educate every child and help them reach their full potential. We offer the full resources of Jordan School district and have the specialized staff to help all learners and those with learning difficulties. We also offer an innovative CAMPS program that gives each student Computers, Art, Music, PE and Science lessons to enrich their education while the teachers collaborate to improve instructions to each student in the core curriculum
September 26, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This school could be awesome, but the Principal needs some help. There is a lack of support from parents. Mrs. Hanson is amazing, she is calm with the Kindergarten kids. Miss Haworth is a great new addition! I love volunteering as often as I can. I was excited at the beginning of the year, but now I desperately want to get my kids out of this school. My kids teachers are the only reason we stay and love school!!

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

The bad kids get rewarded when they do anything... they should be doing. The bullies get a little talk and a pat on the back as they say they will be good... until the next time. I'm sick of this behaviour system.

Effective school leaders: Neutral

Too much attention is placed on the bad kids, while the good kids go unnoticed!

Develops character: Neutral

There is a real lack of parent involvement, and you can see it in these kids behaviour.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Yes, both my kids have great teachers, But the great teachers don't stay.

My son has been attending Oquirrh for three years now. I probably would not have had him stay if it wasn't for Mrs. Thurman. She has always met with me and worked with my son regarding issues with children bullying him. She is always willing to do what is necessary to protect our children and I know for a fact she doesn't leave most days until around 5. The teachers I have interacted with do the best with what they have available to them. Unfortunately Utah is behind compared to where we originally came from academically.

I would love to say this school is great but I can't. We are new to the area and are transfer students. I was hoping the principal, Many Thurman would be helpful, encourageable and kind like the other reviews stated but she was not. She seems annoyed, flustered and impatient with I asked reasonable questions. She was also very awkward when talking to my children. I voiced my concerns with other parents and they agreed that Principal Thurman is not approachable and lacks leadership skills. Meetings she holds are unorganized and she seems very uncomfortable in front of people. I have also heard that she had a difficult time working with teachers at the school. I am not impressed and am considering other options for my children. The teachers we have were very nice and welcoming. I would say my children are bored. Utah's curriculum is behind the state we moved from.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Be a buddy not a bully is one of the catch phrases, and it is enforced!

Supports LD students: Agree

Classes use the math and language arts assistants to help with putting kids in groups that have similarities of learning.

Effective school leaders: Agree

Mandy Thurman does a great job at our school. The 2 behavior units make it challenging at times, I'm sure, but she does a great job with her calm demeanor.

Last modified Oquirrh School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.