721 students|Jordan District

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I have two students attending this school and am also a member of the PTA. My youngest was able to be a part of their full day Kindergarten program. This program was so enriching and has helped him so much to be ready for the 1st grade. The principal Mandy Thurman is a very compassionate and understanding leader. She is very dedicated to her students, teachers, and community. i love Oquirrh Elementary and am so grateful for everything it has done for my children.

I couldn't agree more with the last review. Mandy Thurman is not experienced enough to be running a school of this capacity. I found her to be a very ineffective leader and unappreciative person. Having worked on the PTA for years, I've worked with several principals at this school and she by far has been the hardest to communicate with or approach. She is very socially awkward and many parents do not think she has the abilities needed to be a principal. Having been a former teacher myself in the JSD, it has been known that as a classroom teacher, Mandy Thurman was asked to leave schools and changed positions and grades regularly because of her lack of communication and inability to work well with the teachers in the buildings and at her grade level. Knowing this, I was very wary to send my child to this school but it was his last year and I didn't want to send him somewhere else for a year. The teachers are great but since Mandy Thurman has become the principal, the entire environment of the school was gone downhill. If you have a choice, do not send your child to this school if Mandy Thurman is still the principal. If this is the type of person JSD is hiring to lead buildings, the district is looking for lawsuits and trouble.

Horrible principal. Mandy Thurman has no clue what she's doing. She lacks leadership and personal skills. Makes me wonder how she got the job. The teachers do not respect her but neither do the students or parents. It's heartbreaking because we loved this school until Mandy Thurman became the principal.

Everyone there cares so much about the students and is so willing to help them no matter what it takes. They don't put up with bullying at all. The education is done so every student is learning at their rate.

I am sad to say that this is my childs last year at Oquirrh. She has been at this school since Kindergarten and I have absolutely loved this school! The teachers are wonderful! The staff and faculty are awesome too! They make sure to let you know that they care about their students and will do what ever it takes to help when help is needed. My child struggled through the years in some areas. And thanks to the patience and hard work from her teachers she has improved a lot in her struggling areas. My child would not be the student she is today without Oquirrh.

Excellent teachers, excellent curriculum

My son has attended this school for three years. The first two years we had wonderful teachers, however this year the 2006-2007 school year was horrible. His teacher made extremely inappropriate comments towards my son in front of the other students and ignored my childs request for assistance. Also, they have a huge problem with bullies. My son has been bullied in this shool for the past three years. I have brought this to the attention of the principal and other staff members and still nothing is being done. If I could change school districts and remove my son from this school and the district I would do it in a heartbeat.

My daughter started this year at Oquirrh. My daughters teacher is Ms. Goodsell and she is fantastic, very involved with the students. We came from a Murray school where there was much more Extracurriclar Activities and Parent involvement which was initated by the Principal. I joined the PTA but have yet to ever be contacted by them.

Last modified Oquirrh School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.