Joel P Jensen Middle School

Public | 7-9

Posted March 22, 2014

This is a terrible school. My daughter was an A student and always smiling. Then she went here. Now I barely recognize her. She says everyone does drugs and there is peer pressure everywhere. She tries so hard to get good grades but most of the teachers are always in a bad mood so she doesn't feel comfortable approaching them. If you are moving to this area, I strongly recommend you keep on looking for a better area...if you care at all about your kids and their education!!!!!!!

Posted November 19, 2012

principals wen oulled into office to discuss possible thing u can get arrested for dont disscus their rights and say something happend wen it never did

Posted June 4, 2012

the staff, mostly the principal has been great to work with, we have had some family issues and she has been more than helpful and understanding along with attendance office staff. Not super impressed with some teachers or their counselor

Posted May 3, 2012

Joel P. Jensen is not too bad of a school. Some teachers are more willing to work with you than others. Like all schools it has some teachers that are better than others; it all depends on what teachers you get the kind of experience you have. They have honors classes available, student leadership, and frequent opportunities to make up work. However, they are a little low on after school activities and the administration could be a little better. I currently attend Joel P. and I don't think it's as bad as everyone brings it up to be. The school building itself is set up a little funny and they don't have air conditioning so it gets hot in the summer but the majority of the teachers have fans to cool it off though. Some students behave better than others but it's like that at every school and there's nothing anyone can really do about that. Over-all, its an okay school; I've seen better and I've seen a lot worse.

Posted January 23, 2012

The school principal of the year 2011/2012 is rude and mistreated me. I have MS and I needed assistance checking my student out of school, she has the rudest attitude towards me. She said "You need to go to the attendance office." I replied "Can you tell me which room it is in?" She rudely replied "Can't you see the sign down the hall? Well the sign is big enough you should be able to see it." I proceeded to tell her my eyesight was bad and i guess i will just go ask someone else further down the hall."I thought that conversation was polite on my end and very harshly and inconsiderate on her end. It's not like you couldn't see that I had MS or some type of disability, I was extremely unstable and I was walking with my cane. If she acts that way to a parent i can not imagine how she treats the students. I strongly suggest that you take your student to a different middle school until that principal is removed. Joel P. Jensen is a very old school and the principal is extremely rude and inconsiderate to people's disabilitys.

Posted December 16, 2011

The Principal of Joel P. is unapproachable to both students and parents. Concerns of bullying went unheaded and when I asked to be allowed access to photograph my child's locker, I was denied permission. The building is old and is in poor condition. The atmosphere is hostile and supressive.

Posted April 11, 2011

I recently attended Joel.P.Jensen and i do not recomend this school if your student is already strugging in school.The crime rate (not the crimes that have been recorded) is ridiculous. I was not the best student but I think that this school needs to try harder for their students. It seems as if some of the teachers and staff hate there jobs wich makes a negitive learning atmosphere. I had all failing grades from seventh grade to the time I left Joel.P.Jensen. And I am in no way blaming the teachers for me not following directions. This school needs to be looked at by the district. It got to the point that my teachers didnt even bother to give me assinments. I love Joel PJensen. I hope that they can manage to bring there scores up. My last report card from my new school came in the mail the other day and my worst grade was a A- haveing said.You can see that im am able to get god grades with the right motiveation thank you for your time and again i am mostly responsible for my poor grades but I hope someone will look at this and help me and all the other students that have fallen through the cracks. I hope that you can ignore the fact im just a student.

Posted December 9, 2010

i am not impressed with this school, the administration, or the faculty. My daughter went to Joel P and luckily she is the type of student that puts her head down and just gets things done. My son, on the other hand, is a little more of a challenge and I have to keep in contact with the school constantly. I email the principal and NEVER get a response. I email the teachers and rarely get a response. I call the teachers and once I got a response. I'm constantly trying to get them to care about my student and his success and I've found two that truly do and I can tell. The principal is a dictator and won't listen or even respond to the parents concerns. She has her assistant principal handle everything and he doesn't have a backbone. I cannot wait until my child is out of this school. It has been a constant fight trying to get them to do what is right.

Posted March 10, 2010

I have not been imressed with the school admin. Recently my child received an award. They called to tell us about it only a few days before the event. We were there even with short notice, unfortunatly they told us the wrong time, missed the whole thing. This seems typical from what I have seen as a parent.. Joel P Jensen CAN do better, shame. I am thinking of enrolling my kids in a Charter School where they will be challenged, not lost in the shuffle and bullied by mean kids and respected by the admin.

Posted May 20, 2009

As a seventh grader at this school it is ok the teachers don't really care about you and they are no able for after school help. Some of the teachers don't get up from out of their desks and just tell us what to do or how many movie notes their are to take. And the lunch lines are so crowed. I kinda feel that the teachers don't care about us at all I have had a 4.0 all year long and I don't feel like the school cares. And their is so much extra credit available that you can not do any work and pass the class. There is sbo's ( student body officiers) at the school. But I don't feel there is enough after school clubs to be in. But don't kid me wrong there is plenty of things that are good like the lunch that is really good!

Posted January 30, 2009

As a former student I can tell parents flat out what the school is like. The school had a few pros but many cons. A lot of the teachers were fabulous, and they tried their best. Some of them even changed my life, but it seemed that for the most part the teachers were just there doing time. The building is dark, old, run down, and highly overcrwoded. Very little space in the hallways. The school has a very bad reputation. The kids at that school are really mean and wild beyond what is normal because the faculty and staff has no control over it's students. Sometimes the faculty consists of disgruntled teachers taking it out on the kids (no joke). At the same time they were very poor in disciplining their students. My mother and I were not satisfied with my experience.

Posted February 11, 2008

Excellent Staff and curriculum

Posted May 5, 2007

Joel P. Jensen has an awesome faculty. Unfortunately the district power school program that is used to communicate with parents and to track grades has changed ownership. The new software they are using has made powerschool unreliable. So if you are a parent that only communicates by E-Mail and your not hearing anything back from teachers, theres a good possibility that they aren't getting your E-Mails. Please call the school and leave a message for your child's teacher. They will return your call at the earliest possible time. I have been associated with this school for ten years and can guarantee that it has a faculty that cares about students and their success.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2007

I've had a very hard time communicating with teachers and administration! On numerous occasions, I've needed to consult with teachers/administration. I prefer to email so everything is in writing; However, my letters are usually ignored. One teacher became livid when I took this fact to her superior. There has to be a better way!

Posted August 1, 2006

This school has been an extremely bad experience for me. The teachers have no control over their classes and only a few teach and treat the kids the way they should be treated.

Posted October 11, 2005

The academic programs at JPJ are top notch. All of the teachers at this school are awesome! Almost every parent of these students are members of the ptsa, they are very involved. There are 2 art classes with amazing teachers, and the choir teacher is experienced and has great control over his class.

Posted September 4, 2004

Enviroment: This is an overcrowded school. Students are literally crammed into classrooms and in the summer it gets very hot. Some teachers can be overly harsh in criticizing ther students. One teacher I had read scores out loud mercilessly to the class. That doesn't make for a confidence booster.Teasing is high. Teachers: Very willing to work problems out w/ students, but harsh at times and slightly lenient when it comes to noisy students. Some of them don't stay after class when they promise to. Classes: Good quality, has honor programs. Discipline: Average, nothing special that adds or detracts to the quality of the school. Has moderate drug raids. One thing I have to say, the administration needs to control the lunch lines. People keep on cutting in line. Involvement and activities: High quality and helpful to some. Should you send your student to this school? If they can handle the stress, go ahead. Use caution.

Posted May 18, 2004

i think this school was a bad environment for me to be learning in. i had some bad experiences with the administration and they were not fair AT ALL in the situations. the students that i came in contact with were not such a great example either. the environment is dark and very upsetting!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 28, 2004

this school is not such a great school. the teachers are not very helpful, and they have way to many children enrolled in the school. the building is also very old and in need of repairs. they also do not have a very good diciplining system.
—Submitted by a former student

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 76%N/A48%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Gym

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8105 South 3200 West