Barre, VT

Barre Town Elementary School 2

Posted June 07, 2012
Academically, this school is good. Socially it needs major work. We have had trouble with bullying for multiple years with almost NO help from the school. Teachers are not trained in how to recognize what is/is not bullying and need sensitivity training. The Principal wants to project the school as a "wonderful community" but is quite self-important & does not want to hear negative things that may reflect poorly on himself. The Superintendent told us our child should punch another child in the nose to get bullying to stop! It is disappointing that bullying and blatant RACISM happen here but because it is whispered it is not disciplined. It should not be a well kept secret that bullying occurs at Barre Town, own it, deal with it, make the changes. We should not have to contemplate moving so our child feels safe at school

Barre Town Elementary School 1

Posted March 19, 2011
I am a previous student of BTEMS. I would NOT send my own child to this school. While I was there, I felt unsupported in my academics. When I asked for help, I rarely received it. My friends and I were treated horribly by both students and faculty. I had a few decent teachers, but not enough to make me consider sending my child to this school. If anything, this school has taught me that when it comes to my childs education, he will receive it at a private school

Barre Town Elementary School 1

Posted March 19, 2011
If i could rate this school a .5 I would. As a former student I would rather switch districts or pay a private school to teach my children that send them here. Despite have a few decent teachers, i always fwas left behind because "i came from a background that wasn't going to get me anywhere" that isn't something you tell a 7th grade student.

Barre Town Elementary School

Posted October 03, 2009
my kids went the, we moved to Barre Town for the school, my daughter moved back for it and my grand kids are going to Barre Town

Posted February 06, 2009
I have nothing but good things to say about Barre Town. Excellent and nationally recognized leadership, an overall understanding and accomodating staff. I have four children at BTMES, one with an IEP. I believe they have played a large part in helping them achieve to their highest potential.

Posted September 10, 2007
I have had two children go to this school and one has an IEP. I had nothing but complete cooperation from the staff with meeting requests and follow up. They really care about the kids and their success. Kudos to this school. :)

Posted February 20, 2007
This is a a great school. The environment is awesome, and the staff are excellent. Barre Town continually posts great test scores, and has many great teams: basketball, football, field hockey, soccer, and golf and tennis teams are in the works. The school has two spelling teams, a very active drama club, student council, homework club, an advanced language class which challenges many brighter students, and a very good para-education staff. Barre Town thoroughly prepares it's students for High School, and is arguably much better than Barre City School.

Barre Town Elementary School 4

Posted October 24, 2006
I think that children benefit from routine and the administrators at Barre Town understand this. They do not allow 'parties' in the classroom. It is very hard for the kids to concentrate when they know at 2:00 they get to have a party. My daughter did get upset at first, but now is fine with it. I like that the kids are not filled full of sugar and sent home. The only issue I have is that although I know it is a large school...more concerts/skits after hours would be great! I feel my child is getting a quality education and her skills prove it.

Barre Town Elementary School 2

Posted January 21, 2005
The school is good but it doesn't let any students have a choice for extracurricular activities. They are more focused on making sure that the students who goof off behave then they do focusing on classes and how students need a challenge and how students need help through things. Students that recieved a 'E' are held back even if they are passing the rest of their classes with B's or A's while students who are completely failing move onto the next grade. The school does not allow much individuality with the students and how they dress. I do understand some rules but others are made for reasons that are NOT explained leaving students upset and angry. People are punished for incomplete homework even when they tell the teacher they need to have help understanding it and the teacher does NOT take the time to do so and punishes the student instead.

Barre Town Elementary School 3

Posted August 24, 2004
This school building is great. It's in a great location and the enviorment is great. The building and it's surroundings are kept up very well. There's even a recreational area for barbecues, tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, track fields, and several baseball fields and two playgrounds! But the extra-curricular activities are poor. I don't see why they don't have baseball/softball, tennis teams, volleyball teams, or track. They offer only two sports teams and hardley any clubs. The vice principal is a joke and thinks that he's the principal and trys to run the school. All the parents dislike him. He trys to make the elementary children into little adults by taking away class parties and such. I understand doing this for the middle schoolers and getting them ready for high school, but preschoolers too? Let them by kids! This other parent is right, this school does push kids through!

Barre Town Elementary School
70 Websterville Rd, Barre, VT  05641
Last modified Barre Town Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Barre Town Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top