Burlington, VT

Posted July 18, 2010
A great school in a great community. It is too bad that the new principal is so out of touch with our neighborhood, but this is no reason not to send your kids to this wonderful school.

Posted April 14, 2010
The diversity, and the involvement of the parents in keeping this school going. There are a lot of students there from different cultures and countries and I have done a reading program there and it is a delight to be in the building. The spirit is in the air.

Posted November 05, 2009
It is simply amazing in more ways I can explain!

Posted November 05, 2009
I've worked at several schools throughout my career and I've never worked with such a devoted, professional and caring staff! The incredibly diverse children and families that we work with are also amazing in so many ways.

Posted November 05, 2009
Kids find a way to reach across sociocultural barriers to find laughter and commonground. They embrace diversity as part of their everyday world, and will continue to look for it beyond Barnes.

Posted November 05, 2009
Why Do I love Barnes school? I love it because I can go and visit my kids almost anytime. I it because you get a warm feeling when you walk into the school like cheers the bar where everybody knows your name. I it because my kids come home from school happy and well taken care of. I 100% trust everyone in the school and the care they provide my children. The parents of the children and most of the community feel like family and its nice when you can have that for a school. These and a million other reasons is why I love Barnes. Barnes is part of the community and the community is part of Barnes.

Posted November 04, 2009
Who wouldn't like the place that teaches and takes care of your children and all of their friends so well everyday!

Posted November 04, 2009
We're the country's first magnet school for sustainability. Sustainability is modeled in every element of the curriculum - from the waste stream to livable wages to the way history is taught using local communities. This school really is the cornerstone of a great community.

Posted November 04, 2009
Ms. O'Connor, my son's first grade teacher, is making a tremendous positive change in his life! And the dedication of the community(kids, parents, staff) to this school is like none I have ever seen or experienced!

Posted November 04, 2009
The Sustainability Acadamy at Lawrence Barnes school is the first of its kind in Vermont. As a new magnet school, Barnes Sustainability Acadamy has integrated into its curriculum key sustainability concepts of environmental stewardship; economic justice; civic engagement; and equity. Children from all walks of life attend the Barnes Sustainability Academy and are fully engaged in activities such as gardening; student government; live laboratories at local farms located in the City of Burlington; local history research; and service learning. Parents participate extensively in magnet school program design by teaching Afterschool courses; sitting on parent-teacher committees; and bringing diverse talents from many cultures into the classroom. There are over 9 languages spoken by families that attend Barnes and an active PTO that regularly organizes community dinners where multi-cultural fare is often included.

Sustainability Academy At Lawrence Barnes
123 North St, Burlington, VT  05401
Last modified Sustainability Academy At Lawrence Barnes is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sustainability Academy At Lawrence Barnes Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top