9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

The Putney School 5

Posted December 06, 2015
The Putney School is the very best thing that has ever happened to me. Here, I learned so many things that I was interested in, but never had the chance to get involved with before. For examples, my Fiber Arts teacher helped me so much while I tried to learn fashion design (fashion design is not offered as a class) and have opened so many new doors in that art for me; our inhouse graphic designer sponsored my project week (what we have instead of exams) to learn graphic design without having any prior experience. The Putney School is a place where kids are expected to just go out there and create amazing opportunities for themselves, with tremendous supports from amazing faculty. Teachers don't tell you what to do, but inspire you to do things, and then help you to realize it. Not a single time, has a teacher looked down on my ideas. Over my two years here, I have witnessed how this place shapes wonderful kids into independent, strong, determined individuals who are all pursuing very different things. Yet, these are also people who value working together for the community.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 06, 2015
Thank you, Emily Jones. Thank you for making and/or keeping this school a place where us students are constantly inspired to work hard for what we are passionate about, to create things and to make things happen, to be activists, to be compassionate and empathic, and for everything else you have done to ensure that this place remains such a beautiful, and wonderful place for all of us.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 06, 2015
I always feel challenged without persistently having to feel like my homework is killing me.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 06, 2015
Study is so project based, and individualized that students really take on things that they are passionate about. Thus, they become so determined.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted December 06, 2015
This is because the faculty here respects students so greatly, that students learn how to respect one another as well.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 06, 2015
One thing that stands out for me most is how much our English, History, and Humanities curriculum focus on social justice themes. Students are also encouraged to create social activism since their freshman year.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 06, 2015
Students get involved very strongly with student government: working with the board of trustees, heads of school, dorm heads, et. These things really develop integrity, honesty, and fairness in students as they realize that they have tremendous responsibility to the community. This is just among many other things like how classes are taught, how people treat one another, etc that contribute into students' development of integrity, honesty, and fairness.

The Putney School 4

Posted September 12, 2013
I just read what someone wrote about Putney, and I'd point out several points to prevent misunderstanding. This person said, "There was never a spare moment for my personal artwork advancement," but that's not at all true. Although school does not emphasize on grades, but I got straight As on all of the courses I took. I took a lot of time getting prepared for calsses, I still had plenty of time to get prepared for SAT on my own and read great literature. I haven't seen someone who manages time wisely among who say they don't have time because of work. Manage your time wisely. If you work on your assignment during the conference blocks and the second half of the lunch time, you will always have more than three hours for yourself in the afternoon or evening. Of course, I had jobs, afternoon activities, and evening arts. And many schools emphasize on athletics, and Putney is one of the few schools that are not so entrenched in athletics. They will tell you to do it, because it's good for your health. Unless your in varsity, you only have to do 3 hours a week. I cannot process how this would take all of your free time to work on your art pieces.

The Putney School 1

Posted July 21, 2013
This school is not what you think it is. They may seem to be a progressive independent school meant for individuals. However, there is such an emphasis on work and arts that the students do not have time to find their true passions. I was forced into athletic afternoon activities, when I wished to focus on my artwork. There was never a spare moment for my personal artwork advancement. When I had problems with my self-esteem and the school, I would email the dean of students. He was very slow in responding and never once met with me in person. My mother had to force him to have a meeting with me for him to even consider it. The school has one focus, and that is work. The student's health or goals hardly matter to the staff. In my time at Putney, I noticed that while the school is small there are noticeable friend circles that exclude others. It is not an inclusive environment for anyone to thrive in. Use your own judgement, but be careful when making a decision about sending your children to the Putney School.

The Putney School 5

Posted September 21, 2010
Putney is truly one of a kind, offering an exceptional context for the development of well rounded, engaged, thoughtful and hard working teenagers. Teachers at Putney do not just pay lip service to the lofty ideals of progressive education: they very definitely walk the walk. The current Head of School sets a wise and compassionate tone for the community. Things like the work program (all students have jobs!), project weeks (replacing conventional exam periods) and "Long Fall" expeditions set Putney apart.

418 Houghton Brook Road, Putney, VT  05346