No rating

The Greenwood School

Private | 6-10 | 50 students

2:1 students to teachers

Living in Putney

Situated in a rural neighborhood. The median home value is $158,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $909.

Posted July 8, 2014

The teachers do really care about the boys and the campus does have a good feel about it. The school does provide many experiences and students can find new passions and interests which can be transforming as can reciting "The Address" . Whether students are given the foundations for college life or work is not so clear. Whether learning differences are remediated is also questionable, no data is provided regarding average skill gains made by students, lessons are prescribed rather than individualized as claimed. The progress reports provided are lengthy but more anecdotal than based on objective data. Exceptionally bad behavior in recent years has lead to a number of expulsions and suspensions of boys which is disruptive to the other students. It seems as if the school is struggling to find its identity now that it caters for a broader age group. Ken Burns ( The Address) will heighten the school's profile and may provide increased funding for training to teachers and therapists for them to cater for its HS population. If considering Greenwood , be aware of its limitations and consider options for transferring out in later grades to a more appropriate setting..

Posted May 10, 2014

Kind, committed staff who work hard to create a learning environment that suits the boys differing needs. It is good for bright middle school boys who do not need specialized instruction but benefit from small classes. It is still adjusting to older students now that it has been extended to be an accredited high school and this is proving to be a challenge. My son would have been better transferring out after grade 8 to a school more geared to HS which could offer more electives and provide qualified staff. ( most Greenwood staff are not qualified teachers) With no exams or set curriculum, student progress is unclear, progress reports are vague. Student behavior is generally good, and the school responds quickly to tackle challenging behavior. Students are actively involved in the community although social opportunities with students from other schools or from the town is very limited contrary information provided . The headmaster is committed, creative and well liked, hopefully he can make the staff and environmental changes required to turn the school into one suitable for high school students.

Posted June 19, 2013

The Greenwood School is an excellent school for boys with learning differences. My son is going on his fourth year as a student and looks forward to graduating in two years. The staff members are highly educated individuals who not only teach academics, but also life skills. I can't say enough about the nurturing the boys get from each and every one of the staff members. The school is located on a beautiful campus and offers many extracurricular activities that some of these boys would never have the opportunity to engage in. My son entered the Greenwood School well below grade level and has found great success academically. His future is looking brighter and his goal of attending college will become a reality due to the small class size and one on one instruction he has received. Four years ago college was just a dream. The Greenwood School offers an open door policy, parents are welcome any time and I have stopped by unannounced on several occasions and was thrilled to see the wonderful relationships between the staff members and the student body. Being a special education teacher myself, I highly recommend this school to any parent who has a child struggling in school.

Posted June 19, 2013

I love this caring & wonderful little boarding school in beautiful Putney VT. It has changed my son's life, & as a result has changed ours. He knew from his first month at Greenwood School that "I'm OK-You're OK" was the starting premise & the school was going to support him in the ways he needed to grow. Academic growth, discovery & building confidence were at the core of all that my son experienced this year. Greenwood days have a purpose & each success, challenge &/or misstep offered him the opportunity to learn. I love that its a kind place and that he felt appreciated, even when he misstepped. He found that his teachers had tremendous patience with him and his delayed processing capacity & while my son has been challenged in classes @ GW (w/ 2-5 students), he has grown in confidence. This has something to do with his non academic outlets like riding his bike on the campus trails or skate park, building in the workshop, learning how to snowboard or creating in jewelry class. After finishing year 1, my son is now more engaged with his world & more responsible because the school recognizes how to take regular teenage boy behavior & turn it into huge teachable moments.

Posted March 18, 2013

The headmaster is great and has good intentions along with some of the staff but some do bully students and care about being right, so much that they will lie to prove that. Communication is terrible. Lots of student bullying, stealing, sneaking around, etc. Go on campus unannounced on a non-parent weekend and you will experience a different atmosphere.

Posted December 19, 2012

The Greenwood School is a phenomenal community of dedicated faculty and staff and boys who are reaching their potential. It is truly a transformational and inspiring place; a home away from home. It is the best decision we ever made for our son. Our son started as a 6th grader and is now in his 3rd year at Greenwood. He is blossoming and growing into a fantastic creative young man with a love of learning, a passion for knowledge, a commitment to community, stewardship and leadership, a strong sense of self, and a joy of life and nature. I THANK Greenwood for nurturing all those qualities in my son, for loving him, for encouraging and supporting him to be the best person he can be, and for giving him the tools to succeed in life. His LD is something he now can work with and around and can tap for the wonderful creativity it gives him. Nothing holds him back...and Greenwood has made that possible. If your son wants to learn both socially and academically and wants to learn how to deal with their LD then Greenwood is the place. The kids who thrive at Greenwood are nice caring kids with little to no ED issues who value each other and their community. "GREENWOOD BOYS " are great.

Posted November 2, 2011

This is my son't second year at Greenwood and I really can't say enough about the school and the staff. In less than two short years my son has truly undergone a transformation that I really didn't think was possible. A year ago he could barely write a paragraph, and now he's writing multi-page papers and creating powerpoint presentations which he presents in front of the class. The remediation in writing and math have been incredible and is a result of the staff's commitment and dedication to these boys. I enthusiastically recommend the school to anyone with a child with learning differences.

Posted September 18, 2011

Greenwood offers boys with learning differences a small nurturing environment where they can be with other kids like them and have teachers who understand their learning differences and can address them. I taught there for 6 years and I saw so many boys make big positive changes, both in terms of their academics as well as their confidence and social skills. The campus is beautiful, the food is great, and the teachers are very dedicated. The school works hard to offer many extracurricular activities throughout the year so that the boys are always active and engaged in meaningful (and fun) activities. Because there's a waiting list, the school is selective about who they let in, so there are not too many issues regarding bullying, stealing, etc. But when such issues do come up, the school is very proactive in addressing them and it's usually another learning experience for the kids involved. I really enjoyed my years teaching at Greenwood and I know how hard the school and teachers work to make sure the students' needs are addressed and their goals-- academic, social, and personal--are reached. Greenwood is probably the best school in the US for students with learning differences.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 31, 2011

The Greenwood School is a remarkable place. It's not easy deciding to send a child to boarding school, but with Greenwood we knew it was the right place for our son. The staff focusing on reading and math remediation have been terrific. The integration of OT, social pragmatics and other tutorails into the daily life of the students is powerful and unique to Greenwood (from what we've seen). They have recently taken their assistive technology program to a new level which was critical for our situation. What makes the school stand out, however, is its culture. The headmaster and staff are truly dedicated to helping their students fully achieve their potential. They create a community in which the boys feel safe -- and in which parents can trust. In any group of 40-to-50 adolescent boys there will be problems, but the staff doesn't let them linger. They deal with it at the appropriate level. And their peer reconciliation program is outstanding. The Greenwood School has been a true partner in helping our son deal with his learning disadvantages while blossoming as a person. We highly recommend Greenwood.

Posted May 30, 2011

Our son arrived at Greenwood when he was 12 years old. He arrived, skeptical, cautious and depressed. The faculty, staff and administration took a unified and complete approach at understanding his past experiences, current deficiencies, and social and emotional weaknesses. Staff members ensured that Eric would achieve small success frequently. These small successes led the way to confidence, which started the upward spiral of many successes and the willingness for him to take chances and believe in himself. With the dedication of the staff at GW, Eric has become an advocate for himself, determined never to let his learning differences become an obstacle in achieving success. Currently, a high school junior, he takes advanced math classes, has a 3.9 GPA and he enjoys rigorous course studies. This is all from a child who arrived at GW just five years ago, broken in mind, spirit, body and soul. He is now a young man, confident, articulate and has an insatiable thirst for knowledge. We are so grateful to the faculty, staff and administration for executing a plan of action that resulted in the transformation of his academic, social and emotional well being.

Posted May 4, 2011

Greenwood is an amazing school. The thoughtful and individualized approach to each student is what every parent of a child with learning disabilities would wish for....and, here it is. In addition, all the teachers talk to each other frequently , so everyone is aware of what your son needs to work on, and they are all addressing those issues in their own subject or program. Lastly, the staff view every activity from the classroom, the dining room, the gym, sports, art, wood-working, recreational activities and the residential living as opportunities to develop your son's skills, capabilities and confidence. So, responsibility, organization, honesty, and other basic issues of character development are all constantly reinforced. Lastly, the staff clearly care about the boys and it shows. They also foster an atmosphere of respect, caring and understanding amongst the boys for each other. If I sat down to design a school for my son, I don't think I could do better than Greenwood has. Poor behavior and poor judgement on the part of the boys is handled swiftly and decisively, and every boy always has a chance to fix the issue before he is asked to leave the school.

Posted May 4, 2011

This is the premiere school for any student with a language-based learning difference. The faculty and staff are completely dedicated to see that the boys reach their full potential, even beyond what they could imagine was possible. The program is academically rigorous but with the support in place to ensure success. As parents of a Greenwood student we can't say enough positive things about this school.

Posted May 4, 2011

The Greenwood School is excellent, but a "Greenwood boy" is a very special student. Greenwood is not just a school for your average middle school boy with LDs. Boys who succeed at Greenwood are highly motivated even when faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges. Greenwood boys don't spend all their time trying to get around the rules. Boys who succeed at Greenwood learn to work with the rules and points systems, chores and responsibilities of the community, albeit reluctantly at times! Greenwood boys work hard to get along as a community even though they are a small population of very unique, quirky kids. Greenwood boys are very creative and talented. The school's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. They try to create a learning and personal environment that works for the individual child and the entire school as best they can. Tending to the specific needs of 40+ boys is overwhelming at times. Greenwood is a flawed, wonderful environment for a very specific type of boy--a brave, hard-working, fun, adventurous child. If your son succeeds at Greenwood it will be because of the character he came in with being met equally by what the school has to offer.

Posted May 4, 2011

I do not often write reviews but felt compelled to do so. Our son is in his third and final year at the Greenwood School in Putney, VT. He began at Greenwood at 11 and is now 14 and about to graduate. Greenwood was all that we could have hoped for our son. And more. He arrived at Greenwood a disheartened, discouraged boy whose self-esteem and confidence had been battered. The first year we saw slow, steady growth in all areas. The second we continued to see this and especially saw peeks of who our son was before his struggles in school became overwhelming . This was highlighted when he decide to run for a spot on school council and won. In his third year his achievements were even more impressive academically as well as personally. This year he ran for and won class president. Our son is back. Greenwood and the teachers at the school gave us back our son. He holds his head high now, believes in himself and that his efforts are worthwhile. Greenwood was everything we could have hoped for and more. We will be forever grateful for the amazing transformation we have seen in our son. It is a truly special place. A community of caring teachers and staff, a wonderful home away from home.

Posted May 4, 2011

Sending our son to the Greenwood School is undoubtedly the best decision we have ever made as a family. My son is 14 and will begin his 3rd year at Greenwood in the Fall of 2011. He is bright, thoughtful, kind and out-going, but the public school he attended before was not able to ever celebrate his strengths. He worked harder and harder only to fail again and again. He felt horrible about himself. At Greenwood he has gained so much self-confidence. He has learned that hard work can equal success. We think The Greenwood School is fantastic and will always be grateful to them for saving our son's life.

Posted May 4, 2011

Deciding to send our son abroad, hoping to find the school he needed was tough enough. We were cautious and selective, since we couldn t afford to make a mistake. After almost a year and a half later, we have realized that we couldn t have chosen better! Looking at our son with LDs move forward in his learning process seems like magic. This has obviously been achieved with the support, guidance and constant attention by a most professional staff at Greenwood. Most importantly, our son is very happy; enjoying school, which is just unimaginable! A significant change in our lives.

Posted September 13, 2009

My son recently graduated from The Greenwood School and I can't say enough about this school. From the day dad and I dropped him off until that wonderful graduation day. My son received what I refer to as the foundation of his education. He is more confident, secure, and independent in his life. He was more than ready to head off to high school with the tools he needs to succeed. The Greenwood School is the answer for parents who can't find the next step for their child's education. It is worth every dime you spend.

Posted June 23, 2009

If your child has had any success in school and your are looking for remediating and technology this IS NOT the school to send them to. My son went here is it has a very therapeutic atmosphere, population and approach. The use of technology is minimal, there are no textbooks or grades, narrative reports are vague. There is as much peer pressure and bulling here as any other school, staff always seemed overwhelmed. Although the head master is fabulous the remainder of the staff is mediocre at best. Definitely not worth the money unless you are out of options and your child needs a break from the real world.

Posted March 13, 2007

The Greenwood School is a boarding middle school that serves boys who are bright but who are challenged with learning disabilities such as dyslexia or executive function deficits (AD/HD). Many boys arrive at Greenwood having struggled in their previous schools and despite their intelligence, feel like failures. If there is any school that can turn that lack of self-esteem around, it is Greenwood. Through an individualized curriculum, very low teacher-student ratios, and extraordinarily skilled and patient faculty, Greenwood gets to the root of boys' learning challenges and sets them back on a road to academic progress and success. More importantly, at Greenwood, boys find themselves and their self-worth again. I know. I have watched my own son climb back from the depths. If you have a boy between 9 and 14 years old who is bright but struggling, give Greenwood a look. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 2%

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • SAT/ACT prep classes

School start time
  • 8:35 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • All boys
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • ABS
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (802) 387-5396

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Special education
  • Special eduction
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Robotics club
  • Woodshop

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis