Williamstown Middle/High School

Public | 6-12 | 286 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 28, 2013

The WIlliamstown School system may be rural but there is a lot of heart. There may not be 25 special offerings, but we do have the ability to work outside the box. Student are able to take class on line or at local college facilities. Yes, there may be some issues with teachers, but show me a school that doesn't. If a student wants to learn and their parents want to get involved then there are resources, opportunities and people to help. Both the elementary and the middle-high school have male principals. Things are changing for the good and the school, students, teachers and community are all making this happen.

Posted July 17, 2010

i want to the school it was not a good school at all i got picked on a lot and no one really did anything

Posted April 11, 2010

The middle school principal is so unbelievably negative and unpleasant to deal with. Why we need 2 principals in this small school is just another way we taxpayers are taken advantage of. I believe we should clean house, get rid of the middle school principal and expect the HS principal to do her job and run a school where our kids can learn.

Posted March 19, 2010

i am a student of williamstown and in my opinion it is not a good school. Some of the teachers are nice. the school is a bit small there is 2 math, English, and history teachers but only 1 foreign language teacher. the middle school does doesn't have that much room so they have a math room in the middle school hallway. They also have a class in the high school hallway and when the students are trying to learn they are so loud. The principle in my opinion isn't nice. She doesn't deal with some problems kids have she said she will but she wont. So in all this school is not a good school.

Posted April 29, 2009

WMHS is not a very good school in my opinion. The education system is lacking in all areas. I am a sophomore this year and when I talk to sophomores from other schools, they have already learned what I am learning now, earlier on in their schooling. As a student athlete, I feel that the school is more concerned about sports and doing well in sports than they are the kids education. I have tried to move to other schools, and I'm always on the waiting list for school choice. WMHS is not a very good place to go to school, educational wise.

Posted January 30, 2008

the elementry school is a wonderful place to send your children ,the staff members are a wonderful bunch of caring human beings right down to the custodial staff. the middle high school is awfull only a very few there that should be there.disipline what disipline. the place needed a face lift but someone in charge needs to clean house from the principals all the way down to the bottom of the totom pole.it's a awful place to send children and to work there.

Posted July 28, 2007

As a former student, I would like it to be noted that I am writing coherant English. I can tie my shoes, balance my checkbook, and use a semicolon. SAT score: 1210. I am not a failure of the educational system. When I met Ms. Morris-Quartz, she had a ladder over her shoulder, and paint can in hand, and a pair of paint-splattered overalls on. She was re-painting the school herself. This, I kept with me through all other frustrations, because her good intentions were so materially there to begin with. This school is a work in progress. I think that she tried too much, too fast, and lost control of it. I would have done no better myself. Also, despite all my griping while I was there, the most important thing is that I had teacher-friends right there griping with me. WMHS can be good for you. In a brocolli kind of way.

Posted February 12, 2007

I worked at this school over five years ago and I did not like the way things were handled then. Behavioral students were not dealt with. Unfortunately, my son decided to go there this year. He is a freshmen. I was very apprehensive. The smaller numbers in classes has been great for him. The teachers still don't get back to you in a timely manner. I still feel that this school needs more then a cosmetic face lift. The communication is lacking, they don't offer enough extra curricular activities and they shouldn't offer core 9 and 10. Overall I am trying to adjust, but my son seems happy. I hope he will get a good education from this school.

Posted December 19, 2005

As a parent of two children one in the Elm. one in the High School I have to say that my overall feeling of this school is somewhat mixed.I feel all of the teachers that I have had the pleasure of meeting are Wonderful,loving,qualified teachers! My one child in the middle school is a fun loving,polite but very lazy child. The teachers there have put in countless hours of phone calls and such to try and help establish a plan that works for him. The Teachers thus far receive an A+++ from me. I do feel the school needs great repair and I am glad the bond passed. Ms.Kortz has been helpful also in my experiences.I do wish the teachers had more time for parent/teacher meetings however they are only one person teaching appx.70 children a day! Please understand they cant sit by the phone waiting for you to call!

Posted October 27, 2005

I guess all schools have their problems and I do not make enough to be able to send my children to private schools, I not sure that I would anyway. The kids in all my children s classes are very close and so are the parents. At least we re close enough to know each others names. The 2 main concerns are 1. There is absolutely no communication parents to teachers in the Middle and High School 2. I believe the six graders should not be in with High School at all there was too much of a change in my children s personalities in just that year. The Elementary is a nice school but they are running out of room.

Posted July 17, 2005

Marketing researchers will tell you that it is usually the unhappy people who voice their opinions, and that certainly seems to be the case here. Yes, the principal sometimes avoids issues, but far more frequently, she figures out a way for her students to win. She is a devoted and tireless administrator who consistently asks the questions,'What is best for kids?' One of my children graduated from WMHS, two are currently enrolled. I have seen many changes over the years, and I have to say that the vast majority were for the better. THe inclusion of online class alternatives has been very beneficial for those students who don't like the limited offerings of this small school. The so-called 'core' classes are also designed to adapt to kids' respective learning styles. Unfortunately, this didn't pan out so well for one of my kids, in '04-'05. But we're still trying to figure out why. I have found the principal fairly receptive to my questions and concerns. Let's hope the town passes the bond for building improvements: we really need them.

Posted May 17, 2005

Williamstown Middle/High School isn't as bad as everyone says it is. It's really unfortunate that such bad things have been said about the principal. She is a hard worker and has to deal with many more issues then anyone realizes. Frankly, the participation of the parents is the real problem. They let the teachers and staff deal with everything until something really bad happens, then they come in ranting and raving without knowing what they're talking about. The physical appearance of the school is totally up to the town because they are the ones who won't fund repairs, not the principle. The principle wanted to get us a new school, but the town refused. Over all Williamstown is a good school, and will continue to improve.

Posted August 24, 2004

Every school has it's goods and bads. The only good thing about this school is the teachers are very helpful and supportive of the students. Some of the teachers are actually friends with some of the students which I think is great! The school and classes are so small that it's easier to help each student individually. Unfortunatly, the principal isn't very supportive at all although the vice principal gets right on issues and deals with them. The principal trys to avoid issues completley. This school doesn't really prepare the students for college, doesn't have very many extra-curricular activities to offer, throws all the behavioral-problem students into Venture, or the after school program so no one has to deal with them, but they continue to make problems, and the school building on the inside and outside is really poor, everyone votes 'no' to replacing the school building.

Posted August 21, 2004

I graduated from Williamstown. The teachers are great but the discipline policy is not very good, there are no programs for excelled learners and the funds are very limited.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 5, 2004

I refuse to keep my child in this high school another year. I have spent a lot of time this summer researching different schools and Willams town comes in the lowest for acedemic achievement and extra curricular activities offered to the students. The teaching and learning atmosphere is very poor. If you are a parent who, like most, have to work it's almost impossible to contact any one from the school or get a call back from any one. The principal,if you would like to speak with her you have to literally go to the school unannounced and catch her. She refuses to return calls, you have to stay right on her to get any issues resolved. If she can get away with dropping the issue entirely, she will.

Posted June 9, 2004

I am the parent of a child that is more than capable of making straight A's she was deemed gifted in her last year of Elementary School, There are no programs for gifted children in this school system. My daughter has big dreams of becoming a Doctor, this is something I know she is capable of. Quite frankly I'm concerned that the level of education she is recieving in this school will not be good enough for entry into a good college when the time comes. The sad fact is that I love the town I'min and I like the atmosphere minus the principal in this school. But it leaves me wondering if I'm failing my child by keeping her in this school system. Please accept this for what it is 'my opinion'.

Posted May 31, 2004

What I like: The team mentality of the staff. The small class sizes for more individual attention. The drive to teach the students to be people, not just fact absorbers. The integration of core subjects, helping students see how it all goes together. Possible drawback: Small budget for updating equipment.

Posted April 27, 2004

If you are a parent thinking about sending your child to this school don't. I am a student and for all of the 7th and 8th graders we are all in one room with 4 classes in it with only half wall dividers and it is so loud all day.It is unfair to the middle schooler because we have a different dress code than the high school does and we are in the same building they walk around with belly shirts on and we get writen up if our shirt does not go over our pants.The teachers and prinsable don't care about the students you go to them with a problem and they say they can't do anything and to deal with it.and my 7th grade class and only mine has a bullying person in our class all day.What I'm tring to saying is the scool is unfair to the students

Posted April 22, 2004

I do not have faith in the learning system in the High School. They do not teach individual courses, they combined 3 courses together and this does not look good on the application for college. What ever happend to basic education like Math, Sciences and History. I also have had the experience of not correcting grammer. also if you are a A & B student you have it made at this school. If you are below this you are just put down and not given extra help. I rate this school no stars as has not proven good education.

Posted January 7, 2004

This school has a principal who does not support teachers, students, or parents in need of any assistance. It's a shame, given that this town has the resources to succeed. The steely-eyed look of this principal really is unfortunate.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % achievement level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Vermont used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing and grades 4, 8 and 11 in science. The NECAP reading, math, and writing tests are given in the fall and test students on content taught in the previous year. The science portion of the NECAP is administered in the Spring each year and has its results released the following Fall. The NECAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Vermont. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 32% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 37% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 30% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 45% in 2013.

All Studentsn/a

American Indiann/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Non-migrantn/a
Scale: % achievement level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Vermont Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students48%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A37%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

120 Hebert Rd