The Boyd School - Aldie

Private | PK-3 | 70 students

We are best known for independent learners.

Student diversity

Living in Aldie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $391,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,660.

Sweep tile

Posted February 20, 2014

The administration of the school is personable and warm, unfortunately the lead teachers do not share these qualities. If you are considering this school, use care and caution. My child experienced a bullying incident with an older student (6 years old) in the mixed age group classrooms. I met with the teacher and because she didn't see the incidents, she accused my young child of "lying" (her words), and accepted no responsibility. I also saw this teacher pull (gently) on a young students ponytail to get her attention. Not the safe, nurturing environment I expect for children ages 3-5. Take notice that the kindergarten class meets for less than 2 hours in the afternoon, and school ends promptly at 2:30 - so you need to really evaluate the quality and quantity of education. In 2012-13 they had about 12 kindergarten students, in 2013-2014 there are around 5 - what does that tell you? When I moved to another school, my child was assessed at being behind when we were on target at the beginning of the school year. Absolutely NOT worth the cost to attend, there are far better choices.

Posted October 1, 2013

My son started in the toddler program last year. It is amazing how much he has blossomed in this environment. His language growth, ability to play independently, and his level of concentration are simply remarkable. Communication from the school has not always been the most forthcoming as others reviewers have said, but my biggest want is for him to love going to school and that he certainly does.

Posted September 19, 2013

We enrolled our son here when he was a toddler. It was our first experience with daycare, and it wasn't a good one. I repeatedly had problems with my phone calls and emails either not being answered at all or not answered promptly. We only had our son in the school for a few days but during that time there were occasions where the teacher was not in his room at his designated drop-off time, as well as 2 times where he was not thoroughly cleaned after a diaper change. Our son was also absent from the program for 2 weeks due to illness and no one ever called to check on how he was doing or why he was out. It seemed to me that this school is run more as a profit center than as a place where they truly care about parents or children. We decided to pull him out early because of all the problems we had there and were left paying an additional 3 months of tuition while he was no longer attending. Simply put: this school is a gamble not worth taking.

Posted September 2, 2013

Good school but never know what my kid did all day: no summary reports ( even tho they say they will do it). I remind them and then one gets posted outside the room for two days then none for the rest of the month. The afternoon teachers have no knowledge if my child napped, ate, played, cried, etc. I don't like being in the dark on what my 2 year old does all day...even a high level summary would be sufficient.

Posted August 30, 2013

I agree with the other reviews: the school program & teachers are great but the management is awful. The Director is the daughter of the Boyd School. It's obvious she has no management experience although she is a great Montessori teacher herself. It's a shame really. On a weekly basis, we debate continuing to stay at this school. Even the teachers complain about the director. My theory is: she is trying to hire the cheapest labor possible (lots of interns) in order to make the school a profit center which it might not be yet. It often feels like they are "nickel & diming" all the parents. At $1600/month I don't think we should feel like that. It should be about the kids and only the kids.

Posted August 16, 2013

As a parent with two children in this school, I am totally scratching my head about what other parents are saying. I remember the issue with the teacher leaving. The Director was direct and upfront with us, the parents, as to the situation and what went on. In the end, the teacher did return to the school and is still there. Speaking to teachers leaving, maybe if the parents actually got to know the teachers better they would understand why - many of them come in from further out - Gainsville, Haymarket, even the Front Royal area. They happen to find something close to home or have a situation where they can be close to their own children. Teachers are not getting up and walking out. As a former teacher in Fairfax County Schools, I can tell you the turnover rate for public school teachers is far worse and this is nothing. I just wanted to clear up that the teachers are truly dedicated and leaving usually for other reasons than what is presented in other comments here. The staff here has been nothing BUT patient when it comes to my children and any issues that arise with them. I am completely happy and pleased we chose The Boyd School.

Posted June 28, 2013

It used to be good over last year but this year most of teaches leaving so not sure what's going on inside. Their curriculum is good but there i no way to find out. More over the kids play area is asphalt and my kid got hurt many times, told the Management but seems like they don't care much.

Posted May 14, 2013

I usually do not take the time to review schools but I felt compelled to write a review regarding The Boyd School in Aldie. I was absolutely shocked when I found out that my my son's lead teacher was quitting a month before school is over. And when I received an email from the owner of Thy Boyd School explaining the reason for the teacher quitting was due to a contractual conflict - I was outraged. What school administration would allow a teacher to quit so abruptly? My wife and I have total and upmost respect for my son's teacher. She is one of the most dedicated teacher that we've come to know. She would send us weekly updates on our son's progress along with pictures of what he did in her call for the week. That goes well above and beyond her job description and we appreciate that greatly. How can any administration allow such a great teacher to quit like this? It's an administration that does not care about it's teachers - plain and simple. People don't quit if they are treated fairly and with respect. It is needless to say that we have decided not to re-enroll our son to The Boyd School.

Posted May 8, 2013

Our child currently attends the Aldie campus. We decided to enroll our kid based on the the reviews posted. We don't have any complaints about the teachers cause they are good with the kids. It's the management. They are the WORST I have ever seen in any private school system. No wonder teacher turnover is so high. It's all business for them. To top it off, the director is the daughter of the owner of the school, which makes it very difficult to bring up concerns. Therefore, we have decided to pull our kid out from all these drama and focus on going to a school where our kid could get an education.

Posted March 21, 2013

We enrolled our son at the Boyd School - Aldie Campus last September. Not having ever been in day care, this was the first time he was exposed to this type of setting or environment. We are very happy with the progress he has shown thus far. He amazes us with what he has learned in this few short months of school. His teachers are very sweet, kind and patient - you can see that they really care about each child in their classroom. We really enjoy that it seems to be more of a little community, than simply a classroom.

Posted March 18, 2013

We love this school. Our toddler, who was originally diagnosed with a speech delay, has more than excelled in the Montessori environment. Not only has his speech far exceeded his therapists expectations, he's learning concepts I would not have been able to teach at home. He was able to go from almost no socialization with children his age to having best friends and loving the school so much, he run to the classroom door each morning. When my husband picks him up in the afternoon he says to him 'no thank you daddy' and wants to stay. He looks foward to it and gets excited to return each day. My infant is also in the program. We really enjoy working with the infant program staff. I understand they might cut the program due to lack of interested parents enrolling their children, but if you call and express interest they will start the program back up this fall! Both our children love this school and we love the Montessori program. We plan to continue to keep our children at Boyd as long as we're living in the area.

Posted February 27, 2013

The school is located in Aldie VA off of highway 50, which is convenient for families in that area.

Posted February 13, 2013

We enrolled our daughter in The Boyd School in Aldie, Virginia just before she turned three and have been very pleased with her development. The school and its teachers far exceed the "typical daycare experience" as the students are exposed to a variety of age groups and are able to learn at their own pace. For a three year old, this is not just a place for her to go and play while mommy and daddy are at work, this is a place where she learns and thrives. We've had the pleasure of working with several teachers and it is clear that they all care deeply for the children in their and other class rooms. They rotate responsibilities so they have an opportunity to know each child, not just those in their class. The Aldie campus leadership makes enrollment and dealing with any concerns very easy. I have always been comfortable speaking to them about our daughter or anything related to the school and/or her education there. I think the best thing is that our daughter is excited to go to school every day. We also love the year-round program as it provides consistency for our daughter and we never have to hunt for summer camps or other interim programs.

Posted February 11, 2013

My 5 year old daughter has been at the Boyd school for 2 years. the teachers are wonderful and always stop me in the hall to see if I had questions and update me on my daughter's progress. my daughter has learned so much at the Boyd school. I also like the small classroom sizes which gives the teachers more time to work on the children individually.It is a like a small family at the Boyd school

Posted February 7, 2013

Our two children (5 yrs old and 2 yrs old) are enrolled at Boyd School and they absolute love going to school everyday! Soon after enrolling our children, we saw an immediate change in behavior and a new sense of independence. I cannot tell you how many times other parents tell us how advanced in behavior and social skills our children are. Thanks to the wonderful work by the great teachers at Boyd!

Posted February 7, 2013

We enrolled our girls when they were 18 months old. We were concerned about the transition from a home environment to a school establishment. The teacher and administration kept us abreast of their progress daily which put our mind at ease that we made the right decision. We are thrilled with the program and faculty. We cannot believe how much our children have developed in 6 months.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
German
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Arabic languages
  • German
  • Korean

• Micah Earle
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Associations
  • Accredited member of Southern Association of Colleges & Schools; Accredited member of American Montessori Society
Fax number
  • (703) 542-5465

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Independent Study