No rating

Queen Of Apostles Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 169 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Alexandria

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $319,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Posted October 3, 2014

I am a long term parent of a few children who attended K to 8th grade and successfully transitioned into local DC area private high schools. I also have a few more young ones still currently enrolled in the school. There was a drop in morale, parent participation and quality of education a few years ago - partially due to principal turnover. At that time, I pulled my kids out of QofA and enrolled them in a highly ranked public school but missed the QofA community and close student-teacher interaction. However, the new principal has a previous long term relationship with the school and parish and is totally committed to the success of the students and their families. The current PTO is also very engaged and energized. Any parent with a concern is free to express that concern and propose suggestions for improvement. The diverse ethnic community membership is a major strength. My message for current student parents and those thinking about enrolling your children - get involved! This is your opportunity to make an immediate impact! This is a great school on the march to getting even better.

Posted October 1, 2014

Yes, enrollment has risen. But there have been many complaints that the new students who have been enrolled are mainly those in need of aid from the parish. Fees have been raised for others to accommodate this. This does not need to happen. Raising fees for some students while increasing enrollment for free-riding students isn't good for raising the level of the school.

Posted September 19, 2014

Couldn't ask for a better school, we wanted to enroll our kid in piblic school but after tried the school for a semester we decided to stay in the school for good. Great staff it is like been in a big family. If we have to recommend this school to anyone we'll do it in a heartbeat.

Posted September 18, 2014

New leadership (~ three years ago...promoted from within) has re-energized the school and inspired parental involvement. Our two children have walked through the QofA doors, and our family is "drinking the kool-aid". Previously, our family was simply involved, and we have become more invigorated with the great strides and recent accomplishments. QofA is an inclusive community and our youngest LOVES going to school each day!

Posted September 18, 2014

I am a middle school parent, and i am very pleased with what i see at Q of A now. I was amazed, and now glad that i made the right decision for my child to stay and continue his education at Q of A. All my doubts, concerns, questions, and negative heresay from the past is now gone. I admire the hard work and dedication of the teachers, staff, and the PTO. As a parent, i can see their willingness to go above and beyond to teach my child - our children. The students are happy, well mannered, and very respectful. Again as parents, we only want the best for our children. I also admire the dedication of the other parents who voluteer their time and participate and really make every effort to get involved in the various school activities, events and fundraisings. Academically the students are smart and are getting the best education we can give them. know we can give them. give to them.

Posted September 18, 2014

4 years and counting. We were going to send our child to public school but with a stroke of "bad luck", we were late in enrolling her to before/after care. We found QoA and it was a blessing in disguise. There was a bit of turmoil in the beginning with several changes in leadership but overall, the community was great. The support that you get from the teachers and the parents make it feel like a family setting. With the onset of Mrs Littlefield's leadership and a strong PTO, things have turned from good to better -- dare i say best!! There are things in a school that make you come back year after year and that is reflected in QoA's motto -- Faith, Excellence, and Joy.

Posted September 11, 2014

Please raise the standard of the middle school and get more fully-paying students to join the school. That will raise the school standard and status. Enrollment rates needs to go up with students of high standard in order to raise the standard of the school.

Posted September 1, 2014

This school has caring faculty, a devoted administration, and a faith filled curriculum. The students have a diverse background. Our parish priests lead after school athletics allowing the parish high school youth to lead our middle school students. Our parents are involved with the CYO and after school clubs. The PTO invites the parish community and surrounding neighborhoods to an international festival, fall festival, and 5K run that is growing every year.

Posted May 7, 2014

As a parent of a young child at Q of A I couldn't be happier with the attention the teachers and school leadership provide him. I think the curriculum for someone his age is amazing and his math and reading skills are far superior to those of his public school peers. I think some of the comments below about fundraising are ridiculous and are coming from lazy parents who don't want to get involved in their child's academic career but instead expect the schools to babysit them. A good parent wants to get involved and Q of A invites parents to do so. They don't mandate it! And what school doesn't ask?! I only wish more would get involved. I've never once felt that the administration was forcing me to contribute my time or money to any fundraising campaign. If I choose to support the school my child attends, then I contribute what I can, as any good parent would. Most importantly, I've found that both the principal and the teachers all TRULY care about the students. And THAT my friends is a school I want my child to attend! And for the record, the school's music teacher recently moved on to a career at a local university. He was very good! They are seeking a replacement.

Posted May 7, 2014

Queen of Apostles is a great school. Our son loves Q of A so much, during snow days, he complained. His teacher and the principal are both so involved, I really apprecaite everything they do. I also feel that the students at Q of A are all so well mannered. They are very polite, respsectful, and not only does this school teach required subjects, they are definitely teaching children to be good people. They have NEVER required additional donation or mandated volunteer time from us. We are working parents and this school definitely accommodates us - before/after school program hours are great, and the teachers during these extra hours are great as well. Thank you and looking forward to continuing our child' s education at Queen of Apostles.

Posted January 21, 2014

Not the best choice for private school. I would agree with some of the previous posts. There is a new principal however, it is just a continuation of previous regimes. The school needs a lot of work, very dated. While the tuition is cheaper than other private schools, you have the parents getting nickeled and dimed all year for fundraising activities. The parish or the Diocese of Arlington should step up and spend some money on the school instead of asking the parents for more money and or volunteer to do plumbing work etc, on top of the tuition. Spending priorities are way off and when you ask, anything pertaining to money is off limits. There are very few after school activities for the kids and the ones that are available, cost money or require a parent to run the program. There are better choices out there for your children!

Posted November 3, 2013

Queen of Apostles is a great school. It has recently undergone a change in leadership, and many of the complaints below are now irrelevant. For instance, student drop off and pick up run like clock work. The school is small, unlike the others in our area which have 1000 kids or more, and we feel very valued. The teachers are very organized and there is a strong sense of community with a lot of parents chipping in to help. The school is definitely on track to earn a Blue Ribbon award in the next few years!

Posted June 4, 2013

My child has been in this school for 6 years now. He is very comfortable here. He likes after school programs. Teacher who he has so far is very responsible. We really like the school s student ethnically balance, diverse community and strong PTO. School has a lot of changes lately with positive sign. Hope school s teachers, staff and parents keep it up their work hard for our future genius.

Posted May 10, 2012

My child is in 2nd grade this year which is much better than last year (1st grade) when I was shocked to learn that the teacher had been giving the children the answers during tests, not counting the tests when they did badly and trying to give the parents a false impression of the true standard of the child's academic level. Not good for the child in the future. It is what it is -- no need to falsify the academic standard of the child. Such reports do not enhance the academic stardard of the children. Hopefully, it's not happening again this year.

Posted May 10, 2012

With two kids in the school, our experience has been a great one! The school has an advanced math program in middle school and is working to improve the Science program with the introduction of robotics for ALL grades and the ongoing implementation of new technology for teachers and students - a testament to the parents who participated heavily in fundraisers to provide these for the school. It is unrealistic to expect, given the low tuition costs, that volunteer hours and donations would not be required to enhance the quality of education and the student surroundings. They Gym is one of the nicest in the Diocese and the Library, Science and Computer labs are well equiped and up to date. Music and band program is awesome. The teachers are kind to the children, very open and welcome parental involvement, and the majority of parents are invested heavily in the school and their education and welfare. Every day (hail or shine), the Principal and some teachers are in car line welcoming the students to school and the staff have an "open door" policy - a clear testament to their committment. The on site staff and nurse are caring and nurturing to the children and their well being.

Posted May 10, 2012

Queen of Apostles could be a great school, but the principal is ineffective. He never deals with problems head on - despite the parents trying to offer solutions and recommendations. Whether it is bullying, curriculum issues, etc his only action is to ask you into his office for a "talk" where he tries to convince you that your perception is wrong, and then nothing changes. He is in denial about the schools obvious problems that are brought to his attention. His solution to bullies is to bring the bully and the victim together for a "talk", and then he takes no action (which has prompted many parents to pull their kids from middle school, some in mid-year). He doesn't answer email (and goes days without reading it), and when asked important details of upcoming events he is is often is unaware. The parents are actively involved, and have good ideas. The majority of the teachers are dedicated (middle school teachers need improvement), but with a new principal that addresses concerns and brings strong leadership the school could be fantastic!

Posted May 9, 2012

My daughter started attending this school since kinder and she is now in 2nd grade. My daughter loves the school and her teachers. As a parent, I am so pleased that my daughter gets to learn religion, moral values, as well as other challenges. The teachers are great, the Principal is wonderful, and the PTO members are always very strong to address students/teachers/parents concern. The school have many activities for the students such as sports, talent shows, christmas shows, grandparents day, international day, field trips, and more. The school have a great extended day program that help the students to do their homeworks and assign different activities. There is a strong friendship bondage in the whole school. Their lunch program is great and they have an option to bring lunch from home. Compared to other private schools this school's tuition is very reasonable.

Posted May 8, 2012

My child has attended this school for three years. Although the tuition is low and the class size is small, there is no gifted and talented program, and spanish is the only foreign language offered. The robotics program is brand new and is only available to older students. The lunch program is expensive ($4.50 p/day) and on a monthly basis. There are many functions yet, many of the same parents and their "cliques" attend or run these events. After paying tuition you're always asked to chip in or donate cash or items for all functions. The pick-up line is ridiculous and many parents skip it by waiting in the church parking lot, walk up and zoom off. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the many friends my daughter has made over her years at Queen of Apostles, I would've tried another school. I believe the school has good intentions, yet is still missing vital pieces to be a successful and inviting community.

Posted May 3, 2012

I feel the need to respond to the negative review on here as some of it is inaccurate. I've never believed placement tests should be given in any school because every child deserves a chance to excel. Yes, some play happens in the parking lot- it also happens in the new gym and on the playground as well. The county denied the school's desire to enhance the school with a green space so that is still being worked on. The teachers teach to the child- no extra resources are actually needed- things are leveled within the classroom. It isn't the first time a parent has claimed "boredom" when their child misbehaves- there are multiple factors leading to poor behavior- boredom is seldom one of them. The administration gets stronger by the minute and truly involved parents see this- anti-bullying, robotics, field trips, health and nutrition programs have been added since he began. The principal knows every parent and child's name and spends a great amount of time roaming the halls and checking the classrooms. A healthy hot lunch is offered-with real fruit and vegetables! There are numerous options to get involved and from the front desk to the classroom- it feels like family.

Posted May 2, 2012

My child transferred to Q of A as a first grader. With no placement tests given, he fell through the cracks and become bored. The only positive aspect of the school is the small class-size. Some negatives, the school is so small recess is held in the parking lot, there are no resources for advanced children, and all religious sacraments are in conjunction with the parish CCD classes so no real need to stay for the religious aspect of a Catholic school. The school lacks strong leadership and the academic and behavior standards are low as well. There are other private schools nearby that will offer your student a safe, friendly environment to learn.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (703) 354-4820

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Arlington