No rating

Queen Of Apostles Catholic School

Private | K-8 | 169 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Alexandria

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $319,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,490.

Posted May 7, 2014

As a parent of a young child at Q of A I couldn't be happier with the attention the teachers and school leadership provide him. I think the curriculum for someone his age is amazing and his math and reading skills are far superior to those of his public school peers. I think some of the comments below about fundraising are ridiculous and are coming from lazy parents who don't want to get involved in their child's academic career but instead expect the schools to babysit them. A good parent wants to get involved and Q of A invites parents to do so. They don't mandate it! And what school doesn't ask?! I only wish more would get involved. I've never once felt that the administration was forcing me to contribute my time or money to any fundraising campaign. If I choose to support the school my child attends, then I contribute what I can, as any good parent would. Most importantly, I've found that both the principal and the teachers all TRULY care about the students. And THAT my friends is a school I want my child to attend! And for the record, the school's music teacher recently moved on to a career at a local university. He was very good! They are seeking a replacement.

Posted May 7, 2014

Queen of Apostles is a great school. Our son loves Q of A so much, during snow days, he complained. His teacher and the principal are both so involved, I really apprecaite everything they do. I also feel that the students at Q of A are all so well mannered. They are very polite, respsectful, and not only does this school teach required subjects, they are definitely teaching children to be good people. They have NEVER required additional donation or mandated volunteer time from us. We are working parents and this school definitely accommodates us - before/after school program hours are great, and the teachers during these extra hours are great as well. Thank you and looking forward to continuing our child' s education at Queen of Apostles.

Posted February 6, 2014

I agree with the comments below. It is ridiculous to expect those who are paying full fees to also do all the volunteering work and fundraising activities while those who are receiving free tuition (because they have 4 children or more) or those who are getting discounted fees get away with doing nothing. The music program at the school also needs much improvement.

Posted January 21, 2014

Not the best choice for private school. I would agree with some of the previous posts. There is a new principal however, it is just a continuation of previous regimes. The school needs a lot of work, very dated. While the tuition is cheaper than other private schools, you have the parents getting nickeled and dimed all year for fundraising activities. The parish or the Diocese of Arlington should step up and spend some money on the school instead of asking the parents for more money and or volunteer to do plumbing work etc, on top of the tuition. Spending priorities are way off and when you ask, anything pertaining to money is off limits. There are very few after school activities for the kids and the ones that are available, cost money or require a parent to run the program. There are better choices out there for your children!

Posted November 3, 2013

Queen of Apostles is a great school. It has recently undergone a change in leadership, and many of the complaints below are now irrelevant. For instance, student drop off and pick up run like clock work. The school is small, unlike the others in our area which have 1000 kids or more, and we feel very valued. The teachers are very organized and there is a strong sense of community with a lot of parents chipping in to help. The school is definitely on track to earn a Blue Ribbon award in the next few years!

Posted October 10, 2013

Our child is a first grader, and we are extremely happy with Queen of Apostles. I understand there was some transition, and some leadership issues in the past, but I can assure you this is no longer an issue. The kinder and first grade teachers are fabulous, and our child is motivated to go to school each day. As parents that have lived all over the world, it is refreshing to see such a diverse student body in such a small class sizes (15-25 students). The International Festival is the event of the year. The PTO is extremely involved in organizing events for parents, children and the parish...all while trying to raise money to better the experience and environment. I only gave the principal leadership four stars, as she is new to this position, but not new to the school (she has been a teacher at QofA for over ten years). So far, our experience has been extremely positive.

Posted June 4, 2013

My child has been in this school for 6 years now. He is very comfortable here. He likes after school programs. Teacher who he has so far is very responsible. We really like the school s student ethnically balance, diverse community and strong PTO. School has a lot of changes lately with positive sign. Hope school s teachers, staff and parents keep it up their work hard for our future genius.

Posted May 10, 2012

My child is in 2nd grade this year which is much better than last year (1st grade) when I was shocked to learn that the teacher had been giving the children the answers during tests, not counting the tests when they did badly and trying to give the parents a false impression of the true standard of the child's academic level. Not good for the child in the future. It is what it is -- no need to falsify the academic standard of the child. Such reports do not enhance the academic stardard of the children. Hopefully, it's not happening again this year.

Posted May 10, 2012

With two kids in the school, our experience has been a great one! The school has an advanced math program in middle school and is working to improve the Science program with the introduction of robotics for ALL grades and the ongoing implementation of new technology for teachers and students - a testament to the parents who participated heavily in fundraisers to provide these for the school. It is unrealistic to expect, given the low tuition costs, that volunteer hours and donations would not be required to enhance the quality of education and the student surroundings. They Gym is one of the nicest in the Diocese and the Library, Science and Computer labs are well equiped and up to date. Music and band program is awesome. The teachers are kind to the children, very open and welcome parental involvement, and the majority of parents are invested heavily in the school and their education and welfare. Every day (hail or shine), the Principal and some teachers are in car line welcoming the students to school and the staff have an "open door" policy - a clear testament to their committment. The on site staff and nurse are caring and nurturing to the children and their well being.

Posted May 10, 2012

Queen of Apostles could be a great school, but the principal is ineffective. He never deals with problems head on - despite the parents trying to offer solutions and recommendations. Whether it is bullying, curriculum issues, etc his only action is to ask you into his office for a "talk" where he tries to convince you that your perception is wrong, and then nothing changes. He is in denial about the schools obvious problems that are brought to his attention. His solution to bullies is to bring the bully and the victim together for a "talk", and then he takes no action (which has prompted many parents to pull their kids from middle school, some in mid-year). He doesn't answer email (and goes days without reading it), and when asked important details of upcoming events he is is often is unaware. The parents are actively involved, and have good ideas. The majority of the teachers are dedicated (middle school teachers need improvement), but with a new principal that addresses concerns and brings strong leadership the school could be fantastic!

Posted May 9, 2012

My daughter started attending this school since kinder and she is now in 2nd grade. My daughter loves the school and her teachers. As a parent, I am so pleased that my daughter gets to learn religion, moral values, as well as other challenges. The teachers are great, the Principal is wonderful, and the PTO members are always very strong to address students/teachers/parents concern. The school have many activities for the students such as sports, talent shows, christmas shows, grandparents day, international day, field trips, and more. The school have a great extended day program that help the students to do their homeworks and assign different activities. There is a strong friendship bondage in the whole school. Their lunch program is great and they have an option to bring lunch from home. Compared to other private schools this school's tuition is very reasonable.

Posted May 8, 2012

My child has attended this school for three years. Although the tuition is low and the class size is small, there is no gifted and talented program, and spanish is the only foreign language offered. The robotics program is brand new and is only available to older students. The lunch program is expensive ($4.50 p/day) and on a monthly basis. There are many functions yet, many of the same parents and their "cliques" attend or run these events. After paying tuition you're always asked to chip in or donate cash or items for all functions. The pick-up line is ridiculous and many parents skip it by waiting in the church parking lot, walk up and zoom off. Very frustrating. If it weren't for the many friends my daughter has made over her years at Queen of Apostles, I would've tried another school. I believe the school has good intentions, yet is still missing vital pieces to be a successful and inviting community.

Posted May 3, 2012

I feel the need to respond to the negative review on here as some of it is inaccurate. I've never believed placement tests should be given in any school because every child deserves a chance to excel. Yes, some play happens in the parking lot- it also happens in the new gym and on the playground as well. The county denied the school's desire to enhance the school with a green space so that is still being worked on. The teachers teach to the child- no extra resources are actually needed- things are leveled within the classroom. It isn't the first time a parent has claimed "boredom" when their child misbehaves- there are multiple factors leading to poor behavior- boredom is seldom one of them. The administration gets stronger by the minute and truly involved parents see this- anti-bullying, robotics, field trips, health and nutrition programs have been added since he began. The principal knows every parent and child's name and spends a great amount of time roaming the halls and checking the classrooms. A healthy hot lunch is offered-with real fruit and vegetables! There are numerous options to get involved and from the front desk to the classroom- it feels like family.

Posted May 2, 2012

My child transferred to Q of A as a first grader. With no placement tests given, he fell through the cracks and become bored. The only positive aspect of the school is the small class-size. Some negatives, the school is so small recess is held in the parking lot, there are no resources for advanced children, and all religious sacraments are in conjunction with the parish CCD classes so no real need to stay for the religious aspect of a Catholic school. The school lacks strong leadership and the academic and behavior standards are low as well. There are other private schools nearby that will offer your student a safe, friendly environment to learn.

Posted March 29, 2011

My son is attending Queen of Apostles since Kinder. They have excellant and dedicated team of teachers and challenging academinc programs. My son is truly enjoying his school. I would recommend this school to all the parents.

Posted February 18, 2011

What a great school! My child (Kinder) loves her surroundings and loves her teacher, too. She genuinely likes her classmates and works well with them. As a parent, I am proud of all the academic accomplishments my child has made throughout the year as this speaks to the dedication of the teachers/staff members. I love the fact that the school is nestled in a safe neighborhood off the beaten track and is small, unlike the public schools in this area that are far too large and overcrowded. Another great attribute of Q of A is the diversity of the student body. No mass majority here as the school boasts a great mix of kids from all different parts of the world. Another quality of the school is the involvement from the parents. All parents are required to volunteer their time as this allows them meet other parents, develop insight to the workings of the school as well as helping the school raise money for various projects and necessities. I look forward to the years to come.

Posted March 18, 2009

We had a child who transferred to Q of A for the 2008-2009 school year. You couldn't ask for a more dedicated group of professionals, from the Principal to every teacher. What they lack in resources as compared to some of the more well off parish schools, they make up for 10 fold in their commitment to each child, each family. The halls are filled with smiling children and adults who know them each by name and in the classrooms they are inspired to learn. Awesome school!

Posted November 25, 2007

This school (this year), has lost atleast 5 students mid-year to various schools. The school is not keeping it's 'touch.'

Posted August 8, 2004

We moved the area in summer of 2003. My son started 4th grade at Queen of the Apostles. We love it. The parents are great, my child is safe and learning everyday. I love the organization and discipline provided by Catholic Schools. This is my son's fourth school (I was in the military), and he has asked to stay at this school until 8th grade. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that happens.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (703) 354-4820

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Arlington