PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Our child started in JK, for which we primarily applied for with the intention to ensure Kindergarten admission the following year, for which we are glad we did due to a long wait list for K openings. But that JK year was instrumental in building a foundation for our child to learn and love learning! He approached kindergarten with full on confidence, joy, and determination. The journey ever since has been a fun-filled learning adventure. Love the small class sizes, social and emotional development, and building an appreciation for nature, the environment and people of all backgrounds and walks of life. No where else does a child get sad when summer vacation arrives because they would rather be in school!

Develops character: Strongly agree

Honesty, integrity and fairness are taught in a way that encourages self-direction in problem-solving, learning to become self-advocates and being able to trust others to help with conflict resolution when help is needed (whether it is adult support or peer support).

Experience at this school for our child was variable and uneven. Early grade teachers were helpful and supportive but later elementary grade teachers could only teach a certain way and did not want to alter their methods for the individual. Also parent input was not valued.

Develops character: Agree

Character development is emphasized. Sometimes bullying was present and overlooked. It was difficult at times to talk to the teachers and to find time in their schedules to discuss social development.

Our child loves the school and the close-nit environment has really helped our child gain confidence. We also feel that the academic environment is appropriately challenging. We are surprised and disappointed at how unresponsive and dismissive the administrators can be toward parent questions, suggestions, or concerns. While the weekly newsletter helps keep parents informed, it can take days for a call or email to be returned, and, even then, little follow up to see if the issues raised have been addressed. Indeed, we have even found an air of arrogance if suggestions are critical to the current structure -- as though parents couldn't possibly have anything to offer when it comes to educating children. Disappointing, to say the least.

I am one of the Class of 2012 graduates, and I attended Burgundy for 10 years. Not only does this school have rigorous academics, but also helps each student learn who they are as a learner, a thinker, a friend, a person, or a leader. Burgundy cherishes and strives to maintain the rich diversity and to engage the whole child in hands-on learning that instills respect for themselves, others, and the natural world. I could not recommend Burgundy more for any child. I had the most amazing experiences, made strong friendships, and enjoyed the interesting and intense academics. I loved every minute of it and will definitely stay in touch with the school!

I am an 8th grade student at Burgundy, and I have been going here for 9 years. I cannot recommend it more highly, and I think that if you are looking for a nurturing environment with excellent teacher-student relationships, Burgundy is the place for you. Definitely consider sending your child to Burgundy--I have loved every minute of my time here!

The finest middle school in Northern Virginia! A progressive, curriculum that encourages children to think independently.

I have three children that have gone through Burgundy--the quality of the teachers is uneven. Do your research and make sure your child gets into the class with the 'good' teachers.

I am about to graduate from Burgundy Farm Country Day school, and i think it's a great school. It prepares the whole child, for the whole world. And I thank Burgundy for doing that. Even though it's on the short side.

Last modified Burgundy Farm Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8