PK-5|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Parents, We recommend that every parent looking to educate their child to first research the work of Maria Montessori. Montessori is a unique and successful approach that should be offered to all children. Each classroom is structured so each child has the ability to reach their true potential. Each Montessori material has two purposes: the direct and indirect purpose. The direct purpose allows the child to understand the micro Montessori lesson of the material. The indirect purpose allows the child to understand the macro Montessori lesson that then will lead into greater exploration through Montessori materials. The Montessori materials is the science behind the Montessori method. It is our goal as educators to nurture a child’s natural love for learning, work, and order through self-discipline, mastering positive attitudes toward learning, and achieving ever increasing levels of independence. We encourage questions from all parents looking to educate their young child. We also offer tours of our facility and opportunities to meet our staff. Please contact us so we can get to know you and your child. Thanks, Montessori School of Alexandria
July 07, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son has been attending Montessori School of Alexandria since he was 4 and he's now in 3rd grade. I can't speak highly enough of the teachers and administration. The teaching style is both unique and effective and my son's creative intellect has truly blossomed. I highly recommend MSA and plan on keeping my son there through the 6th grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love all the teachers at MSA. They are kind, compassionate, and extremely professional. My son and I never had a negative experience with any of the MSA staff and we are on our 4th year of attendance.

Amount of homework: Agree

I appreciate the fact that the school doesn't give a bunch of busy work. I also appreciate the concern for allowing quality time with our children after school and in the evenings. I do, however, think there needs to be at least some weekend homework to foster discipline and time management.

Teacher effectiveness: no rating

MSA provides continuing education experiences for all staff annually. One of those experiences is attending workshops specifically designed for Montessori schools during the national convention. This usually consists of at least three days of workshops.

Develops character: no rating

The Montessori method respects the children and honesty, integrity and fairness is all developed naturally.

I am a parent of a child in the elementary classroom at MSA. I have read the previous poor reviews that were recently submitted and was dismayed. In my opinion, these reviews are not an accurate representation of the school, and in at least one case totally overblown and misleading. It is true that there have been issues, as happens at every school, but it's completely unfair to slam the school and the elementary program. I agree that some things may be handled better but to give such dire statements about physical assault is frankly ridiculous. I have another perspective on the situations they have mentioned. You can be assured that there was culpability on all parts, and that nothing rose to the level mentioned. My child was not a party to the events mentioned, but was attending the school and I can assure you that there's another, more balanced view. The teachers are as dedicated and caring as they come. My child has absolutely thrived at MSA and I cannot imagine a child receiving a more individualized, stimulating or complete education anywhere. This is a great school that will make sure your child is challenged while also working to their strengths, learning how to work cooperatively and in collaboration with others. If there is one thing I feel the school could do better is they need to upgrade the facilities. I would also appreciate a better use of social media and their website to get information out, showcase the school's programs and strengths and a more complete, professional administrative structure. Bottom line though, the school and staff are dedicated to the true principles of a Montessori education and care deeply about nuturing the whole child while giving them the best education possible.

My family has been part of MSA for 7 years. The school embraces each child as an individual and instills a love of learning, consideration for others, and self confidence.

My child attended preschool, kindergarten and elementary school at MSA. While the curriculum is excellent, it is important for prospective parents to know that multiple students in the elementary class in 2013 and 2014 were repeatedly bullied and assaulted (including pants being pulled down, etc.) over the course of several months. Despite repeated attempts to get the school to implement policies and disciplinary procedures, nothing was done and some parents ended up pulling out their children during the middle of the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 school years. If you are considering sending your child to this school, please ask to see the written policies of bullying and assault behavior and take every measure to ensure your child is safe at this school.

MSA was a great school in the past and continued to excel at the preschool level. But in recent years, the elementary classroom has gone downhill. It has the potential to be a great program, but the administration refused to listen to parents when there are problems, which has resulted in a mass exodus after about 2nd or 3rd grade. Many families who gave this school their all through volunteering and PTA leadership positions have given up and walked away. (Ratings are hard to do because the preschool is excellent - I'd send my children there again and again for preschool. But think twice before keeping a child there past 2nd grade).

Last modified Montessori School Of Alexandria is a Private school that serves grades PK-5