K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

When something arises between students, the school is responsive in a number of ways: they respond quickly to the parents or child, depending on who is reporting, they address the issue in a manner that is suitable to the situation. I have never felt ignored or my concerns blown off.

Supports LD students: Agree

My son has a learning difference, and we have been pleased with the accommodations and attention that the small classes and individualized learning allow.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

This principal is engaged with parents and readily communicates when something happens that affects students or the school at large (staff changes, etc). He has built a strong team and the teachers seem to like him.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school has an active focus on Social and Emotional Learning with regular classroom visits from the school counselor to talk about handling conflict, etc. Community Service is built into the curriculum, woven in throughout the year. Just walking the hallway evokes a vibe of positivity.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are engaged and communicative. The parent-teacher conferences, back to school night and frequent communications are refreshing and give a great deal of confidence in the school.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is relevant and not burdensome. It focuses on practicing what the kids learned in school.

I have two children at ACDS, both of whom love going to school. The atmosphere is warm, positive and nurturing, my kids are challenged academically (with individualized attention), and the classes are small. I've noticed this year how the students' creativity is actively fostered. The school has made some great investments over the past few years, and we couldn't be happier with our choice. I had wondered if private school was worth the money, but our experience has shown that at ACDS, it is definitely worth it (I should note that we had experiences at another school prior).

Lacks a firm commitment to curriculum other than community service.

Endless exposure to state of the art resources! Communications training and tools some of the best I've ever seen. The faculty is dynamic and caring about you children. The sense of community and level of preparation constantly reinforces our decision to be here.

To the July 16, 2014 Poster: There seems to be no way to get in touch with you. I'd suggest you either make your concerns more explicit or remove your review. It's not fair to either the school or parents reading these reviews to make a half-accusation without following it up. I've toured the school and everything I saw was very positive, so I do not appreciate a warning to "be careful" that is completely unsupported by facts. As the rating system would not let me post without selecting stars, I've defaulted to 5 stars.

Last modified Alexandria Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-8