Posted August 09, 2014
We moved to Island Creek based on the school reviews & LOVED the school. The teachers & education our child received were exemplary. The teachers really cared about my child & were thoroughly vested in his development. They were wonderful in supporting the subjects he accelerated in & getting him interested in ones he maybe wasn't . We had emails/flyers weekly on classroom activities. There were ample opportunities to volunteer & participate, for both working & stay at home parents. I can't say enough about the excellent staff they have from the administration down to the volunteers. It was a lovely community to be a part of & we will miss it greatly.

Posted June 18, 2014
My kid is attending Island Creek, and I couldn't be any happier. The teacher in his class is very nice and caring. I get e-mails about his progress, and weakness, as well as how to work with him. I am very much impressed by the way the teacher cared, and took time to communicate with me. I am also impressed by how much the PTA is invloved. It is great to see a community that cares about not only their own kids, but the school in general. We have friends/neighbors who are sending their kid to a private school, and when we were comparing notes about our kids activities, as well as their ability to read,our friends were very much impressed by our school. They have decided to enroll their daughter to the school next year. Overall we are impressed. For kindergarten, our son's reading ability is comparable to 2nd grade. Math is at par with 1st grade.

Island Creek Elementary School 3

Posted June 12, 2014
The school has new administration which is not as relaxed and kid-oriented as in the past. The school is focused mainly on SOL's and seems to be losing a lot of the best teachers. I have two children who attend one graduating to middle school. Even they have commented on the change and how unhappy they are.

Posted June 04, 2014
We moved from out of state in August 2013 from Rochester, NY and my son has severe ADHD and tendencies of Autism. When coming to this school I did not know what to expect and he recently received an IEP for Special ED, Speech Therapy, and Occupational Therapy. He has done good so far and his teachers and the staff at ICES have been amazing. He's finally excelling in some areas compared to others, but they keep me in the loop for everything. We're actually moving this Summer to Lorton so unfortunately we won't be attending ICES anymore (unless a Pupil Placement gets approved) but if you choose to go here my recommendation is this school is absolutely amazing. My son has had Mrs. Anderson for 1st grade and he does well for the most part and struggles in other areas like Math (that's a given I was horrible in Math) and some listening skills and what not.. typical with his ADHD.

Posted April 17, 2014
My children attended this school for five years. The staff and faculty are wonderful and work together as a team. There are always volunteers in the school which I think makes the school even more effective. There is a real community feel since the school's footprint is very small.

Posted February 22, 2013
I am pleased with the staff at Island Creek. The teachers, counselors, and principals genuinely care about the students. My two children are happy to go to school each day. Just like most Fairfax County Public Schools, I feel the classes are large especially for the younger grades and often do not have assistants. This is a large school, but it has a nice community/neighborhood feel.

Posted June 09, 2011
The staff is great to work with. the special education teachers are wonderful! They are very helpful and attentive to the needs of the child and understanding of parents. My daughter is thriving at this school

Posted June 22, 2010
As a parent of a special needs child, my experience at Island Creek has been nothing short of wonderful. I have only kind words for the staff and faculty of Island Creek. I am always involved in the decisions regarding my child and teachers go above and beyond to make my child's each and every day a great learning experience. One improvement that I would like to see at this school is a more welcoming staff in the office. Many times I myself have not been acknowledged or simply ignored upon entering. This is a subject that has been discussed by other parents as well. It would be nice to hear a simple hello or, how can I help you today? More often than not, you are simply ignored. Very unprofessional at the very least.

Island Creek Elementary School 3

Posted May 27, 2010
We moved here because we thought this school was going to be excellent. We have had many sad experiences. One teacher can change your child's personality, and of course the principal will always side with the teacher. I as a parent of child who was happy and says that someone is not talking to him/her kindly, will always believe my child first. This one teacher is very militant and I think is as nice as they can be...which is sad to say. There is also one particular front staff person who is always rude in words and gestures. I always wonder why the other staff members allow her to be this way? (They are kind by the way) This one person is rude and makes you tense just trying to get your child to a doctor appt. Our family cannot wait for next year.

Posted May 22, 2010
The school seems to offer lots of interesting projects and opportunities for learning outside of the book (writing, music, foreign language, etc). The principle is very enthusiastic and we have been satisfied with the teacher our child had so far (kindergarten). However, I do have to agree with the prior poster who noted that there is a person in the front office who puts up unnecessary hurdles and comments in ways that imply you (the parent) have bothered her by coming to pick up your student or dropping off an item. Service and friendliness are not evident in interactions with this particular person. Setting this bad apple aside, we are otherwise very happy with the school.

Island Creek Elementary School
7855 Morning View Ln., Alexandria, VA  22315
Last modified Island Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Island Creek Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top