Bad
Good

The teachers work well as a team within each grade level. The communication to the parents from the administration is great. Awesome PTA and fantastic community feel. We really love this school.

Amount of homework: Agree

We have not passed 2nd grade yet and entered into SOL territory, so it's hard to say.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The Croc's Creed is wonderful, always focusing on being kind, safe, responsible, honest, cooperative and respectful.

We moved to this area so that our children could attend Island Creek. We are very happy with the school and teachers. Our son is doing awesome here! We will be leaving soon because we are military and hope we can find a school as great as this one.

We moved to Island Creek based on the school reviews & LOVED the school. The teachers & education our child received were exemplary. The teachers really cared about my child & were thoroughly vested in his development. They were wonderful in supporting the subjects he accelerated in & getting him interested in ones he maybe wasn't . We had emails/flyers weekly on classroom activities. There were ample opportunities to volunteer & participate, for both working & stay at home parents. I can't say enough about the excellent staff they have from the administration down to the volunteers. It was a lovely community to be a part of & we will miss it greatly.

My kid is attending Island Creek, and I couldn't be any happier. The teacher in his class is very nice and caring. I get e-mails about his progress, and weakness, as well as how to work with him. I am very much impressed by the way the teacher cared, and took time to communicate with me. I am also impressed by how much the PTA is invloved. It is great to see a community that cares about not only their own kids, but the school in general. We have friends/neighbors who are sending their kid to a private school, and when we were comparing notes about our kids activities, as well as their ability to read,our friends were very much impressed by our school. They have decided to enroll their daughter to the school next year. Overall we are impressed. For kindergarten, our son's reading ability is comparable to 2nd grade. Math is at par with 1st grade.

The school has new administration which is not as relaxed and kid-oriented as in the past. The school is focused mainly on SOL's and seems to be losing a lot of the best teachers. I have two children who attend one graduating to middle school. Even they have commented on the change and how unhappy they are.

We moved from out of state in August 2013 from Rochester, NY and my son has severe ADHD and tendencies of Autism. When coming to this school I did not know what to expect and he recently received an IEP for Special ED, Speech Therapy, and Occupational Therapy. He has done good so far and his teachers and the staff at ICES have been amazing. He's finally excelling in some areas compared to others, but they keep me in the loop for everything. We're actually moving this Summer to Lorton so unfortunately we won't be attending ICES anymore (unless a Pupil Placement gets approved) but if you choose to go here my recommendation is this school is absolutely amazing. My son has had Mrs. Anderson for 1st grade and he does well for the most part and struggles in other areas like Math (that's a given I was horrible in Math) and some listening skills and what not.. typical with his ADHD.

My children attended this school for five years. The staff and faculty are wonderful and work together as a team. There are always volunteers in the school which I think makes the school even more effective. There is a real community feel since the school's footprint is very small.

I am pleased with the staff at Island Creek. The teachers, counselors, and principals genuinely care about the students. My two children are happy to go to school each day. Just like most Fairfax County Public Schools, I feel the classes are large especially for the younger grades and often do not have assistants. This is a large school, but it has a nice community/neighborhood feel.

Last modified Island Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.