7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The nightly fights over homework are over! While my child's friends are doing hours and hours of homework per night, my child is able to very easily manage the out-of-class demands. After-school study hall for one on one help has also been a huge help!

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The leadership needs to implement and encourage a more democratic system of safeguards that encourages feedback from teachers, parents and students with clearly defined procedural safeguards listed on the website. The Board should see to this.

Develops character: Disagree

The school seeks to develop strong character, but ironically the administration (Erick) does not live up to the standards of treating other members of the community with compassion and respect. I notice there was a similar comment from a parent in 2015. I am a different parent who had a very similar experience.

The concept of the school is terrific, but there are problems that need to be addressed. Our most serious concern was with the headmaster and his temperament. He made a decision for our son that we did not feel was appropriate or beneficial. Our efforts at giving feedback were unwelcome and the school had no procedural safeguards. Perhaps this has changed in the current school year, but it bears checking with the Board before signing on.

We are so lucky to have a school like this in our community. The teachers are actually invested in what their students are learning, and they approach education in a way that's progressive, student-centered, and thoughtful. Our kids are being taught how to *think* not just how to recite a bunch of facts. The intellectual growth my child has experienced here has been so impressive.

My child started at HGS this fall, and it has been a terrific experience. My child likes the way they teach - out of the box.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The school has a very interesting mix of teachers - and it's very clear they are at this school because they want to be there.

My daughter went to HGS for a 1.5 years. She was an excellent student, but was having mental illness issues. Instead of providing positive support for her, HGS just tried to distance themselves from her as fast as they could. Although the teachers are great, Erick, the Head of School, is the worst type of person to lead such a school. He alienated my daughter and wouldn't even let her communicate with her teachers. I'm not sure how any really good teacher could work under his administration, I know I couldn't.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers are very good. How long they will stay under current leadership is unknown. I have been a teacher and I wouldn't work for Erick.

Develops character: Disagree

The teachers may have these traits, but the administration certainly doesn't live up to these standards, at least not in my daughter's case.

Last modified The Howard Gardner School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12