Alexandria, VA

Posted September 10, 2014
Bush Hill Elementary School is wonderful! Our daughter is starting her 4th year there and our son is starting his 2nd year. The teachers are kind and competent and the administration is accessible and highly involved. Furthermore, the facilities are excellent, whether it's the classrooms, the smart boards in the classrooms, the computer labs, the well-supplied library, the nice gym, or the large playground. The PTA is very active, sponsoring numerous fun events and fundraisers throughout the year, from movie nights to family games. the families in the school are very diverse, with people coming from dozens of countries and language backgrounds, while remaining united in the goal of educating our children for future success. We love Bush Hill Elementary!

Posted August 10, 2014
Bush Hill ES has great teachers. I've been particularly impressed by my son's 1st grade teacher and my older son's 4th grade teacher. They both went the extra mile to challenge the kids and meet their individual needs. It is a smaller Fairfax County elementary school with tons of diversity, which I like. Test scores reflect diversity but if you're hands on with your kid's education (meaning you make sure homework is done, assignments are completed on time, study for test), he/she will do great. The school is small enough to get to know the administration and principal on a first name basis. The PTA is active and has a great group of caring, committed parents. After-school enrichment classes add to the standard curriculum and offer pretty cool.

Posted March 19, 2014
I have two children at Bush Hill. It is a wonderful neighborhood school. The teachers are very kind and great at communicating with parents. The PTA is active. We like the caring atmosphere in the school, where each student is made to feel part of the community. I wish the arts were a little stronger, but overall our children are getting an excellent education and love going to school each day. It's a best kept secret of FCPS.

Bush Hill Elementary School 0

Posted May 27, 2009
My son, who is just finishing up 2nd grade, has gone to Bush Hill for 3 years now. We like the fact that it's a small neighborhood school with lots of parent involvement. The PTA is very active. The principal, and the assistant principal, are very experienced, caring, and always available. The majority of the teachers are also very experienced. I suspect the low test scores are due to the diversity and the fact that until recently the kindergarten and 1st grade classes were too big.

Posted August 26, 2008
One Child in 1st and One child in 4th: Principal is active and always available, lots of activity, great curriculum.

Bush Hill Elementary School 4

Posted September 22, 2007
The only reason I don't give Bush Hill a 5 star rating is because the classes were too big in kindergarten (27 kids) and no effort was made to rectify this during the school year. the result was several foreign children not developing adequate social and English skills. However, a teacher was added this year in K and 1st. The teachers in K are very accomplished and the curriculum very demanding for K...our child was reading by the end of the year at a high level. The staff are dedicated, professional and the facilities are very good. We love the diversity of the student body and the small size. It is a well-kept secret. There is great parent involvement and I always feel welcome when I visit. Our child enjoys the teachers, who give her as much attention as she needs.

Bush Hill Elementary School 0

Posted July 11, 2007
The Principal is good, the teachers are decent (as a whole), howver the reason that the school thrives is the involvement by the parents,...primarily by the stay-at-home mothers. This is the difference between Bush Hill being an average school and one that makes an impact. Without the parent involvement and the open interchange with the administration, the school would be seriously challenged to adequately address every children's needs.

Posted November 03, 2006
Bush Hill is a blessing for us! The Principal, Teachers and Staff are all dedicated and nurturing to the needs of every student. They are all like family who not only does their job well but cares for my children like their own. They attend to my child's needs and school problem from common bullies to simple sickness right away even when I'm not around. Teachers are outstanding, educated, and are excellent role model for every student in this school.

Bush Hill Elementary School 3

Posted July 15, 2006
Bush Hill is a nice school however the emphasis is academics. I would like to see more done for children who are in need of social skills. The resource staff is overworked. Additional staffing is needed to accomodate those who are on the Autism Spectrum. In addition, Fairfax County Public Schools do not have summer school services for children who are in great need of social skills. Their approach to meeting the needs of children on the Spectrum is to

Posted June 11, 2006
I have had 2 children finish from Bush Hill and 2 still there. I have seen how caring the staff is and how they respond to each child as an individual. They are wonderful with the special needs children and the gifted alike, the only ones that seem to slip through the cracks are the average kid. One of my sons is gifted and 2 are special needs kids and they have bloomed at Bush Hill my one son that is just average did get left out of extra help and such but I felt that it was due to the fact there are 3 princpals and the old adage too many chiefs and not enough Indians really was true. Overall though it is a wonderful school.

Bush Hill Elementary School
5927 Westchester St, Alexandria, VA  22310
Last modified Bush Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bush Hill Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top