Posted August 17, 2014
This school is wonderful. The teachers that my kids have had are enthusiastic and really know how to challenge each student at their level. My kids are learning to speak Chinese which is so amazing! Really all the specials teachers are wonderful, from music to art, to P.E. Many of them come to school spirit nights and support PTA events. The new principal is very approachable and is making this great school even better. We move around a lot and this is by far the best school my kids have attended. There are parents there all the time supporting the school like helping the art teachers, or the kids at lunchtime, putting up bulletin boards or making copies for school events. It's really great to be part of this community.

Clermont Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
To "A Parent" -- have you actually walked into the school?? To others: if you walk into Clermont, and walk toward the gym , you can walk into two brand-new wings of the school. My son has moved into a new room, many other classes have moved, and the library has moved. Progress is being made across a range of fronts. Yes, it is inconvenient that construction goes on during the school year. But, otherwise, the teachers and new administration are excellent. There is a reason that homes in that neighborhood either never go on sale or get snapped up. It is because Clermont has earned a reputation for excellence.

Clermont Elementary School 2

Posted May 14, 2014
This school is being renovated - SLOWLY. When you walk up to the school, you see giant piles of dirt and concrete. There is no main entrance - you have to go in through the cafeteria. Over the last year, I've seen almost no progress. They're building it one brick at a time. I would hate to be a student here.

Posted April 09, 2014
Clermont is a wonderful school! I agree with previous posts that the administration was lacking; however, there is a new Principal this year and she is fabulous! My son has been at Clermont for the past five years and he has been blessed with some of the most wonderful and engaging teachers. Yes, in this day and age, the teachers are made to "teach to the test" to pass the SOLs, but the teacher's my son has had so far have added to the instruction, especially when the kids have really been engaged in a subject. The class he loves the most is the Chinese language class. They start the program in the 1st grade, one class, one day a week, and it continues through 6th grade. Mark Twain and Edison HS have now added Chinese to their curriculum so the students can end up taking twelve years of Chinese through graduation. That is my son's goal for now. The renovation of the school is currently taking place so there is some shifting around and classes in trailers for now, but it's going to be really wonderful once it's completed. The SACC program at Clermont is second to none with a dedicated staff that really gets to know each child and strong communication with the parents.

Posted June 04, 2013
Have been very happy with our experience here. There have been some hiccups but have felt that the administration listens and responds. The past two years we have had not great years because of the teachers. Administrators understood and listened to our concerns and we chalked it up to a "learning how to deal with people we don't get along with" experience, especially this year. Very involved community and PTA.

Posted September 05, 2012
I would love to say great things about Clermont, but I have removed my children from this school. I sent one completely through, the middle child went through a few years as well. This year everyone was moved elsewhere. The PTA has been very energetic at this school, and the kids have benefited from this. There are a few fantastic teachers here and a few that are riding time for free summers. The administration is all about face, not the children. Several incidents that should have been corrected and reported to the parents immediately were swept under the table. Replace the top administration staff and this school may return to a top rated school following the construction.

Posted June 04, 2012
Great Parents and Active PTA but the teachers are lacking classroom control partly because the administration/school divides the kids into classes based on their academic skill. It creates an unfair environment for many students and teachers. The administration will not acknowledge the problems with housing an AA program in a neighborhood school and focus most of their time and resources towards bettering the AA program. Also, the administration and teachers have a gap in communication with the parents. My child was involved in a bullying incident and was ganged up on by 3 other students who left bruises on his body and the school failed to notify me of the incident and did not consider it to be a serious incident. The administration often tries to discipline in school and does not communicate problems to parents so the problems continue despite their efforts. I believe if parents were notified of discipline problems with their children some of the issues could be resolved at home. As a military family I was very frustrated with our overall experience at Clermont. Don't be fooled by programs/scores this is not a good environment for any child.

Clermont Elementary School 2

Posted June 03, 2012
The average student is underserved at Clermont. As long as a student passes the SOLs, gets "S" on report cards and is not a discipline problem, they are passed through the 'factory' system of education. Parents are catching on through outside testing and tutoring that their children can be as much as several grades behind compared to their peers nationwide. It takes a huge amount of parent involvement to navigate your child through this school successfully. We will be moving our child to a neighboring school for peace of mind.

Posted April 30, 2012
Kids: great Parents: great PTA: very active Teachers: most good, but seem very frustrated with the administration Administration: awful Office staff: unfriendly From a military family perspective, this principal does not want to hear from parents (or teachers). The GT program that they claim to have is non existent, don't be fooled. We attended another FCPS elementary school last time we were in VA and it was like night and day to this school. We are anxiously awaiting our move next spring and would not return to Clermont.

Posted April 12, 2012
Clermont is a small school with less than 500 children attending K-6th. My kids love the school! The teachers are awesome! While teaching to standards, they also ensure those that are more advanced are challenged. ...talk about dedication! It is not uncommon for the teachers to teach 3 different skill levels within one class. If children are found to be more advanced the school takes those kids to meet/receive instruction from the advanced academics teacher (2nd grade). Keep in mind my kids are young (2nd and K). I have been very impressed by the administration and the teachers ability to identify and encourage academic learning! The foreign language instruction starts in 1st grade. This school teaches Mandarin Chinese. This is so impressive! Annually the kids put on a celebration for Chinese New Year. They sing songs, learn to read and write with more challenging curriculm as the students advance. I also want to commend the parents in the community. They are VERY active and supportive. All around, I am extremely happy with the school.

Clermont Elementary School
5720 Clermont Dr, Alexandria, VA  22310
Last modified Clermont Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clermont Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top