Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Posted December 02, 2015
The school is terrible and not challenging even for AAP students. The resources are devoted primarily to assisting students with behavioral issues or who don't speak any English or very little English. Look at the demographics and percentage of non- English speakers. The principal won't listen to complaints from parents or take constructive action in response. Instead he is very defensive of the staff and the school and can't see another side. I agree with the below - move to Vienna or Fairfax City or McLean.

Sandburg Middle School
Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted November 05, 2015
Administration deals with the conflicts held at school very strictly, yet it is very effective.

Posted September 09, 2014
My children are in advanced classes and they are not "good to go" per the other mails. This is an extremely poor, unchallenging school. It is run by who everyone says is an ex-Marine. However, being an ex-Marine does not qualify a person to be an educator or school administrator. It is over-crowded, bureaucratic, with no communication. If you move just a few miles away to Fairfax City, Vienna, Falls Church, your children can get a superior education with schools rated 9 or 10 by this site and U.S News and World Report.

Sandburg Middle School 2

Posted April 10, 2014
If your child is in advanced classes, they will be good to go. However, my child states there is constant fighting in the hallway, mean kids, and a lot of bullying. Faculty and staff are great, but they can't help the attitudes and behaviors of all the students - it's unfortunate.

Posted December 12, 2013
The parent review about bullying is a situation my child went through. The whole story about the principal not being available or caring at all is so true. I went through the same exact thing no that principal is NOT wonderful the total opposite. My child was punched in the face and I was not told until my child told me then I went to the school about it. I got a police report to document it and then I removed my child from that unfit place. Fairfax county has a good reputation BUT since leaving Fairfax county but still in Virginia my child is making A's & B's and have not had any issues with bullying or fighting at all. We should of moved our child a long time ago from that school. We are much happier now with a principal who cares. Better leadership will get you a greater school some people just like wearing a title and not living up to the responsibility of it.

Posted October 13, 2013
Our child attended this school and was jumped by a boy in class and had his head slammed to the ground. The next day he was harassed by the boy's friends, who claimed to be gang members and threatened his life. The new principal, whom people strangely seem to think is so wonderful , refused to take our calls or requests for meetings. He never had a single conversation with our son, who was physically assaulted and verbally threatened on his watch. The vice principal, to whom we were referred by the principal's assistant, said that the only way they could ensure our son's safety was to put him in detention (what?) but they did not feel that the threats toward our son were "legitimate concerns". Our son still has a bone spur on the back of his skull as a reminder of that day. I am certain that principal cares for kids, but not all kids. He made it abundantly clear that he did not care about ours. Any school where the mantra is "keep your head down and you'll probably be okay". Is simply not okay. Obvious safety concerns aside, the academics are laughable, even in honors classes. 7th and 8th grade are important developmental years and our children deserve better.

Posted January 18, 2013
My child is mentally disabled & has an IEP but is high functioning. My child was physically assualted at this school 2 times (documented). Teachers that are supposed to be special education trained do not know what is stimming. That is Autism 101 how do you not know what it is and what to do to prevent it. If you have a child with special needs and is in the general class I suggest you think twice about this school b/c I removed my child for his safety as well as his educational needs were not being fully met. The school being in a wealthy area is like a a sheep wearing wolf clothing....Do not be fooled. After my child was taken out of the school I then was contacted by the special education department chair.....Where was the communication & concern before we left. #SAD

Sandburg Middle School 5

Posted June 01, 2012
The new principle at this school is fantastic. My son attends this school, takes honors courses (but not AAP), and loves it. He has had such a positive experience here, has made great friends, and loves his teachers. I have been especially impressed with his math, history, drama, science, and band teachers this year - all have been exceptional and work very hard. My son and I are both very satisfied with Sandburg.

Posted November 03, 2011
I went here for the first half of 7th grade and we could not believe how awful it was. I was having a terrible time with my math teacher and we spent weeks trying to change it,and spent a lot of time sitting in the guidance office,curled up in a ball,in tears,completely shut down because not just my councilor,but the entire guidance staff was being so hateful. More than once I had to go home because of it. The principal did absolutely nothing about this and didn't seem to care. They really made it clear that they did not want me there.

Sandburg Middle School 5

Posted July 27, 2011
Carl Sandburg MS is already a great school and its reputation is on the rise. From a parents perspective, the school is offering my daughter a challenging education. With a Gifted and Talented Program, Spanish immersion continuum from Fort Hunt ES, and ESOL, Sandburg meets the needs of a diverse student body in an affluent neighborhood. The teachers are easily accessible and the principal was a recent first year principal of the year. The school policies are strict (i.e. enforced dress code, no cell phones, etc.) but my daughter still loves it. With very active Northern Virginia parents and numerous ECAs, such as Advanced Band, Odyssey of the Mind, National Junior Honor Society and AVID, this school has it all.

Sandburg Middle School
8428 Fort Hunt Rd, Alexandria, VA  22308
Last modified Sandburg Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sandburg Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top