Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Franconia Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted September 26, 2015
I think some teacher are better than others. But some of them they shouldn't be there at all. My son had this teacher that she doesn't feel like to respond to your email or better yet doesn't even want to talk at all. I think teachers like her should not be teaching at all.

Franconia Elementary School 3

Posted September 26, 2015
I don't feel like my kids are challenged. I think the school is only concentrated on the Sol results rather just teaching the kids. In opinion if the kids are taught properly there is no reason that they shouldn't do well. When you have a talk with the teachers if they feel like they need to get there books so they can discuss to you about the kids that should tell you right there how much they know them.

Posted June 05, 2015
Great school, excellent teachers, caring administration. I had high expectations for a school when we moved to the area, and I continue to be impressed. My only complaint is that I would like to see more recess and/or PE time for the kids to burn off energy (especially when we have so many rain/snow days).

Posted December 08, 2014
We almost did not send our son to Franconia based on this 5 rating on greatschools.com. Our family is so glad that we decided not to move. Franconia is an excellent school with amazing teachers, wonderful community and state of the art facilities. The school was recently renovated. As other posters have stated, the 5 rating represents a diverse student population. A motivated child will be challenged. I am so impressed with how much my child is learning and thriving at this school.

Posted October 10, 2014
The school is great. The atmosphere is safe and encouraging. To be honest, I didn't think this way last year, because my daughter had not the best teacher comparing to others we have in kindergarten and 1st grade. Transition to the 3rd grade made a world of difference! We couldn't dream of a better teacher. She is also one of the coaches at Girls on the Run and is very organized, engaged, respectful. We can't be happier. Absolutely love the and recommend both the school and especially our teacher.

Franconia Elementary School 2

Posted October 07, 2014
When my daughter first started at Franconia, it was an excellent school. That was before the "new" principal had an opportunity to destroy it. She had an excellent kindergarten teacher, but by the time she was in fourth grade, the school was a nightmare. My daughter, who is twice exceptional, was a basket case. She was bullied for two years and the principal and administration did nothing to stop it. It got to the point where we had to take our 9 y/o to therapy because she was talking about suicide. Academically speaking, we were sort of lucky. Her kindergarten, second and third grade teachers. were excellent. Her first grade teacher falsified her reading scores and cheated her out of a year of services. Her fourth grade teacher joined in the bullying. Academically, that the teachers' hands are tied as they are required to teach to the SOLs, and they really don't stray too far off from that. Also, after the SOLs, learning came to a screeching halt. The kids watched movies and played games for the last month of school last year. Also, if you have a child who learns differently, they aren't equipped to handle it. Kinesthetic learners be damned! It's just unfortunate.

Posted June 27, 2014
My Middle School child, who spent 6 years at Franconia Elementary School, is quoted as saying that it was/is a "Fun Learning Environment". She continues to thrive academically, socially and emotionally, taking both Honors & Advanced Academic Classes. Franconia ES is a supportive, community /neighborhood elementary school complete w/movie nights, family restaurant nights, Talent Shows & more. There are extra-curricular morning sports programs offered periodically throughout each year, along with Orchestra and Band events, Basket Bingo Nights & afterschool STEM programs. Annual Field Trips to places such as Jamestown(4th grade), the Portrait Gallery(6th grade), National Symphony Orchestra(4th grade), Hemlock (team building, outdoor activities)/6th grade, Smithsonian Museum Children's Programs Performances (primary grades) are just some of the ways this school connects with the community at large. New construction/remodelling, completed in 2012 have resulted in a beautiful and appealing environment. 99% of parents, and students we've talked to agree that Franconia Elementary School, it's teachers and staff are a highly valued and appreciated part of our community.

Posted June 27, 2014
Quality school whose rating is beginning to reflect improvements in the teaching body and also recent renovations to the school.

Posted June 26, 2014
Franconia Elementary is great! The teachers there are wonderful. There are some lower test scores for some students based on the fact it's a diverse student body, but a smart kid will flourish here. Recent renovations - very nice.

Franconia Elementary School 3

Posted March 20, 2014
Sorry to the prior poster -- Great Schools had some flaws in their data sets --- Franconia is an average school (5 out of 10) -- or should I say, it's student body is average -- the teachers may be great. But, Franconia's student body scores average on state tests. It's not necessarily bad -- b/c their could be high and low scoring populations that cancel each other out (i.e. average), but you can't really say "congrats" for being middle of the road.

Franconia Elementary School
6301 Beulah St., Alexandria, VA  22310
Last modified Franconia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Franconia Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top