Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 2,373

Posted May 27, 2015
West Potomac is a wonderful high school located in a family oriented community. The school offers an outstanding range of courses and has the bonus of an attached Academy. There are numerous student activities, clubs, athletics, and fine art programs offered. Students and parents can easily get involved in an area of interest and become an active part of the school community. The principal, Alex Case, has done an amazing job during his first one and a half years at the helm and is working hard to foster excellence as a tradition at West Potomac. His communication with students and the community is excellent. His upbeat personality and willingness to partner with community resources poises the school to continue on a positive path.

Posted May 07, 2015
West Potomac High School is a public high school in Fairfax County. The school is a hidden gem with strong administrative leadership and a breadth of advanced programs not found anywhere else. Additionally it is the home of a Governor's School for Health Sciences and a Blue Ribbon Performing Arts program. Graduates of the school benefit from a rigorous education coupled with the benefits of being in an incredibly diverse environment. In June my second daughter will graduate from West Potomac. She was admitted to some of the most competitive schools in the country and received significant scholarship dollars.

Posted May 07, 2015
West Potomac is in the middle of a tremendous transformation, with a New Principal Alex Case and his team, his mission and vision is to be the "World's Greatest High School". Our Teachers, students, parents and community are working hard together to create an innovative, engaging learning environment for our entire school community.. We all need to involved and be willing to share our time , talents and resources...what can WE do to help make this the World's Greatest High school

Posted May 07, 2015
We've been extremely pleased with our experience at West Potomac. The principal and the administrative team are active, engaged, and committed to excellence. There is an active PTA and sports booster program. My child has been able to take advantage of a wide range of honors and AP classes. There are sports and extracurricular activities to fit any imaginable interest. My son is thriving at West Potomac and we feel fortunate to be part of this community.

Posted May 07, 2015
West Potomac is a vibrant, diverse center of learning. There is something for everyone and so many ways for the students to get involved. The myriad of AP and advanced courses prepare their graduates for the challenges they will face in college. The fine arts programs at West Potomac are some of the best this country has to offer!

Posted May 06, 2015
There is so much to like about this school. Great leadership, common sense, accessibility and enthusiasm from Principal, Alex Case. A dedicated staff. Strong blue ribbon school arts program across the board (theater, chorus, orchestra, band). There is something for everyone here -- ap, honors, lots of electives, clubs, sports. Great school spirit. Truly, a gem that often goes less noticed in the FCPS portfolio.
2 people found this helpful

West Potomac High School 2

Posted April 14, 2015
This school is overcrowded and children are falling through the cracks. The guidance staff and school counselors are ill equipped to advise students on post secondary options.

West Potomac High School 2

Posted September 14, 2013
My child is very uncomfortable with the school. It's incredibly overcrowded and teachers care little to none about student safety. We had a similar problem with her brother-and decided to send him to the nearby catholic high school. A good investment, for sure. Will most likely be transferring our daughter there as soon as we can, she cannot handle the nonsense going on at this school.

Posted July 15, 2013
There's SO many AMAZING things that I can rant on about this school. The kind and loving teachers helped me graduate at the top of my class with all honors. (and yes I am African American, not that it really matters.) I love this school and all the great opportunities and extracurricular activities it offers, which look great on a high school transcript! I would recommend this school do any incoming ninth graders.

West Potomac High School 1

Posted June 11, 2013
I can no longer work at this school, my co workers seem to have hope but I have lost all. I have only a hand full of students in all of my 5 classes who care about success. Most of the staff only really cares about athletics (where all the budget goes) and not about the actual achievement of students, I have filled out transfer applications to 8 other schools a couple of which are 50 miles away because anywhere is better than here.
2 people found this helpful

West Potomac High School
6500 Quander Rd, Alexandria, VA  22307
Last modified West Potomac High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Potomac High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top