Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 2,373

Posted April 09, 2014
The Al-Qaeda all around the school cause problems every day. They come into disputes with some cartel agents as well. One day, some members of the church of Scientology began attempting mass conversion. That was the day when 30 kids were severely injured as the Al-Qaeda agents blew up.

West Potomac High School 2

Posted September 14, 2013
My child is very uncomfortable with the school. It's incredibly overcrowded and teachers care little to none about student safety. We had a similar problem with her brother-and decided to send him to the nearby catholic high school. A good investment, for sure. Will most likely be transferring our daughter there as soon as we can, she cannot handle the nonsense going on at this school.

Posted July 15, 2013
There's SO many AMAZING things that I can rant on about this school. The kind and loving teachers helped me graduate at the top of my class with all honors. (and yes I am African American, not that it really matters.) I love this school and all the great opportunities and extracurricular activities it offers, which look great on a high school transcript! I would recommend this school do any incoming ninth graders.

West Potomac High School 1

Posted June 11, 2013
I can no longer work at this school, my co workers seem to have hope but I have lost all. I have only a hand full of students in all of my 5 classes who care about success. Most of the staff only really cares about athletics (where all the budget goes) and not about the actual achievement of students, I have filled out transfer applications to 8 other schools a couple of which are 50 miles away because anywhere is better than here.

Posted February 17, 2013
We have been very happy with West Potomac. They have everything needed for academic success for the kids who choose to take advantage of it (AP, Honors, and an impressive array of Extracurriculars). When we have had questions or concerns we have found the teachers and staff very competent and caring - responding quickly and effectively.

Posted February 06, 2013
I cannot say enough good things about West Potomac HS. I had the pleasure of attending West Potomac and now coach one of their dance teams. The staff and teachers have such a positive attitude and have a vested interest in their students. West Potomac is a Academy school which gives students the opportunity to take class in a career field. I am very excited to have my children attend my al mater, West Potomac HS

West Potomac High School 1

Posted November 08, 2010
There is good reason why this school gets a bad rap -- it's a bad school! The school is overcrowded and full of juvenile delinquents. As a result, the staff has become totally desensitized when it comes to caring for the kids or looking out for their needs. My son switched from West Po to Mt. Vernon and is doing so much better. My daughter wanted to give West Po a try since many of her friends are there, but that didn't last long. A few months in and she was begging to leave the school. I attribute many of the problems to an abundance of children in the area who have no guidance at home, when they act out there's no recourse. This carries over to school, but the school is so jaded and maybe even feels like their hands are tied. There's only so much they can do.

Posted March 02, 2010
West Po is a GREAT school! The upperlevel classes that are offered are both accomodating and challenging to the students. It's extremely centered around bettering the student so that by the time they graduate they are a well-rounded individual. Every hallway has dozens of posters and information about colleges. The school is extremely involved in its students. We have top choir, band, and theater departments in Fairfax County (which is top ten in the nation!) as well as great sports teams. There is a definite blend of demographics from both ends of the 'food chain' to put it nicely, but the diversity is amazing and so are the cultures. I can also say I feel safe here, yes there is theft problems and maybe one or two bad crowds. I am so glad that I am a Wolverine, it has broadened my views on the importance of college. I love W-Po.

Posted November 09, 2009
West Potomac can sometimes get a bad rep. However, let's first put some things into context: It's a Fairfax County school. A Fairfax county school will beat any private school in the Northern Virginia area by leaps and bounds. FFX county public schools are top 10 in the nation. Also, there are great teachers here and a great sports program. Sure, there may be a few bad teachers, but if your student can't handle one bad teacher in 4 years, then your student can't handle the real world. There were a lot of changes in principals in years passed, but it's settled pretty well now. They even have a guy from Thomas Jefferson on the administrative staff now (TJ has been named the top high school in the nation over and over). School has less drugs than Bishop Ireton, etc. Go here!

Posted October 12, 2009

West Potomac High School
6500 Quander Rd, Alexandria, VA  22307
Last modified West Potomac High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Potomac High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top