Posted February 09, 2014
I am one of the original alumni from Hayfield...class of '73. So sad to hear what happened to this school over the years since I left. I have such great memories of my time there. I was in awe of the place. When it opened in '69 it was a wonder to behold for sure. The biggest high school on the east coast for a while. The planetarium was amazing and the gym was HUGE. Great sports coaches and teams, and outstanding school spirit. I think I still have my Harvester yearbook. The teachers were great and really cared. I haven't even seen what the school looks like now but hopefully one day soon I will drive by and go down memory lane.

Posted July 12, 2013
Hayfield is a nice, big school. The staff is very professional and the schedule is amazing. I've had a great experience at Hayfield Secondary and hope to create new memories with my friends and teachers! -Class of 2015 :)

Hayfield Secondary 3

Posted August 12, 2012
This school has come a long way from the days of being so overcrowded that fights were started in the hallways simply from one student bumping another. However as a parent, I still have concerns. Example: my child goes to see their counselor but counselor is not in. Told to leave a note. This happened over and over and over for weeks. Still...my child was not called to a meeting with their counselor. I...parent, send an email to counselor asking to see my child and that they have been to the office multiple times only to be told to leave a note. Still...nothing. I finally get in my car and go to school. I talk to the counselor face to face and ask that my child be called in as they want to talk about their classes. Still, nothing. A meeting never happened for the entire school year and my child eventually gave up. I don't know whether to call that sad or pathetic or...both. My child did not want me to step in as they wanted to handle things on their own hence I did not visit the school again. This is just one of a handful of issues with this school. Totally unacceptable by anyone's standards. After four kids at Hayfield, I'm not holding my breath for any great change.

Hayfield Secondary 4

Posted July 31, 2011
It's better than most high schools in Alexandria. The teachers are really helpful and genuinely want you to do well. However, some of the counselors always seem to get huffy when you want something from them, God forbid you should ask them to do their job. The athletic programs are great and parental involvement is high. However, the students are incredibly irritating in the fact that they have to stop and stand in the middle of the hallway...I think the student population is a bit too high, my spanish class had about 40 people, some kids had to sit on the floor. Also, Tremaine's administration revamped the security policy, and students aren't allowed to 'linger' in the lobby area, even if they're waiting for after school activities to begin. I find this new policy overbearing and ridiculous - students were forced to wait outside in the freezing cold, when they were obviously not causing trouble. And for the review 2 spaces below me, I'm guessing you failed english, seeing as your grammar could glorify a daft second-grader.

Posted March 01, 2011
I have a son attending Hayfield and we have been very pleased with the teachers and staff. The school was recently renovated and is equipped with modern technology. We are very pleased overall. Many parents are involved in school activities.

Posted December 13, 2010
The only positive in my daughter's education at this school are her Honors teachers. The remaining teachers are uncaring and unresponsive, and it is no wonder at all that the test scores are so embarrassingly low. There are lots of gang/ghetto problems, and the school administration treats ALL of the children with an expectation of the worst. I still haven't figured out how to get a response from her math teacher, and this from a school whose SOL pass rate in 7th grade math last year was 43%?! They need to seriously overhaul this excuse for a school but it appears that they are just allowing it to slide further into the gutter.

Posted December 10, 2010
Were do I start? this school runied my life it runied my social life it runied everything!!! I'm a student a senior suppose to be graduating there but I moved to Prince Willam County, and gald I did, atleast there they care about there own students and listen to them. Ive been in Hayfield since 10th grade I been a victum of being jumped, being in drama situations that push me to the edge which I havn't caused and the staff members which I liturally fought to change my classes from October to June! and thats just the tip of the iceburg. I went to summer school and passed with a barly 66 or 70 just passing to a D. You know what they did? of course fail me and take the course again!!! for the third time!! I have many more to say about this school, but I don't think its worth on fcps sense of course, but I give it mearly one more star for only reaching a hand on getting a modified diploma as well as my respect of some teachers. and getting my classes stright as of now I think Woodbridge High School will get its name on my diploma, being happy and out of the high school life onwards to college.

Hayfield Secondary 3

Posted December 10, 2010
There's not much to say about this school. It's your run of the mill high school with the usual high school drama. In order to survive at Hayfield you have to mind your own business, do your work and leave at the end of the school day. Once you start getting yourself involved in drama, the faculty has a bad habit of seeing you as a person that won't change and treat you as if you were a delinquent, even if it wasn't your fault. Other than that, the teachers are very nice and helpful or mean and won't help you and find ways to get out of their duty to help after school. Also, this school is supposed to be within its capacity, but there seems to be an area of the school that always gets crowded because people decide to stand in the middle of the hallway in that area. Also, some counselors can be grouchy when it comes to helping people out. Same with secretaries.

Posted June 20, 2010
I am currently a junior at Hayfield and have attended school there since 7th grade. I also have family that goes to school there. This school has many problems. It is VERY diverse and many times the groups of kids do not get along. While fights are not as common as they used to be, they still occur. The counselors are terrible, whether it is because of the large group of students or because they don't know how to do their job, it's disgraceful. The majority of the teachers are poor educators as well. There are very few, mainly AP teachers, who actually seem to enjoy teaching and helping their students. There is no parent involvment or school spirit and many students have drug and alcohol problems. The one thing Hayfield does well is their extra curricular activities. Dr. Orlein did a good job, but is now retiring.

Hayfield Secondary 0

Posted April 29, 2010
Hayfield is an excellent school, but it takes some work to navigate. The kids who are able to take AP and pre-AP classes and maintain a decent GPA are highly regarded by competitive colleges, and do well once they are there. Many say that college is easier than AP. The kids who aren't pushed to try AP classes may suffer, though. Some of the 'regular' classes are boring and easy, while others are just as hard as AP classes. Because there's no 'honors' level of classes between AP and regular classes, juniors and seniors either have to pick a very, very difficult path or a ridiculously easy path. The rule that a student may not drop an AP class until the end of the first semester is ridiculous. Most of the top-level teachers are excellent and will do anything to help their students.

Hayfield Secondary
7630 Telegraph Rd, Alexandria, VA  22315
Last modified Hayfield Secondary is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hayfield Secondary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews.