Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 1,889

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 23, 2015
The teachers seem overwhelmed and in my experience all communicate via email every two weeks to give you a grade and feedback on assignments and test scores. I have had two children graduate from this school, we moved from another state here and I saw my children take a nose dive here. They became disinterested, did not do as well academically and didnot thrive. One child had an IEP and the school changed him from a standard diploma to an attendance diploma without consulting us or asking. We found out because we are proactive parents and repeatedly questioned schedule changes and demanded my son be placed back into his regular classes. At one point the meeting became so contentious we brought in an outside expert to evaluate the schools actions and the response was one administrative calling my ex husband to inquire as to my legal status because I speak with an accent. ( I was born a citizen so took offense to that) I quickly squashed that and had that person removed. It has been a struggle and not at all a positive experience and I am saddened by that. There were good moments but it felt like the staff selected who to encourage based on performance because they had such limited time. My kids are not sports minded or academics so they were left behind. That was sad.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted July 23, 2015
My son with autism was the subject of frequent teasing and bullying so NO I do not feel the school teaches respect.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 23, 2015
There is a mandatory community service but it can be anywhere, if they gave back to the community at a senior centor or something that fostered compassion then I would have a better rating.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted July 23, 2015
I have heard from parents, students and my own children that there are favorites in the school, how can there be fairness with that perception.

Mount Vernon High School 2

Posted July 23, 2015
Just a struggle to get teachers involved, and with one child with an IEP a struggle to get the school to not label him disabled and tell him he was disabled so he could graduate with a standard diploma. This was not their agenda not their plan and it was a yearly fight for the school to keep him on track to graduate with his class. with my daughter she just needs lots of encouragement and she did not get that and it was the same fight to get the teachers on board to help her succeed.

Mount Vernon High School 1

Posted May 18, 2015
I am about to graduate in June..... I can tell you that I never liked this school. Freshman year I had a bad biology who missed so many days, and end up failing me for the year.... Sophomore year I had a mediocre geometry teacher who wasn't a good teacher and ended up failing that class, and our sols scores are joke. Since Freshman year they might of replaced half the math teachers, and English teachers. none of my English teachers I had Freshman, Sophomore years, junior year are there anymore. Now the principal removed 0s cause too many people where failing so now the lowest grade we can is a 53%

Posted April 24, 2015
We have a freshman at Mt Vernon, were hesitant at first because of bad reviews, comments about the school. We are glad we decided to stay. Our child came from a Catholic middle school and feels very safe and happy in the new environment. The Principal seems to have the student's best interest on mind, has seniority, commands respect, and is very involved. Teachers, counselors, coaches and others have been very accessible and responsive. Students have a lot of extracurricular activities to choose from, including great athletics. All kids, no matter their race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status are encouraged to succeed. GREAT SCHOOL!
2 people found this helpful

Mount Vernon High School 1

Posted April 21, 2015
MVHS is probably the worst school in Fairfax County. For one thing, most of the teachers either don't care if a student understands something or not, hate MVHS as much as the students do, or are just plain rude. Students get in trouble for silly reasons. The counselors are barely there. When they are, they are always busy. The dress code is ridiculous, the principal walks around every morning searching for people with something on that she doesn't like. Ex) ripped jeans. It could be the tiniest hole, and they send them to AIA. They don't allow leggings, but do allow yoga pants. They are basically the same thing, some yoga pants girls wear are even more inappropriate than leggings. These students have to miss a whole day because of something "distracting" even though the student will be sitting for 90% of the day, for no one to pay attention to. But they allow students to wear full on costumes to school for no reason which is way more distracting than leggings, ripped jeans, a skirt, or shorts. Most girls want uniforms, instead of being embarrassed by a lady shouting out "DRESS CODE!" in the middle of the cafeteria, and grabbing a ruler to measure your skirt in front of everyone.

Posted March 12, 2015
We have a daughter in the 9th grade at Mt. Vernon. We absolutely love it!! Her classes are challenging and are more than preparing her for the future. We get weekly / biweekly progress reports. Her teachers seem to take a personal interest in her. We really like that the teachers are available for extra help at a variety of different times through out the day / week. At the beginning of school our daughter said that there were some fights but the administration took care of them swiftly and we have not heard of any problems since. The only thing we were less than thrilled about was the 9th grade volleyball coach. Her display of poor sportsmanship was disappointing. Overall, we are extremely pleased with MVHS. Our daughter is very disappointed that we are moving this summer and she will not be able to continue at MVHS.

Posted February 18, 2015
After looking at all of the parent,s reviews I have seen many low ratings. Before you make up your mind that Mount Vernon is a bad school, consider what you are about to read. All if not most of the reviews are by parents. PARENTS AREN'T THE ONES GOING TO SCHOOL. I am a student , a real freshman student and Mount Vernon is the best school I have ever been to. I now go to a school with a 5 star rating because of parents liking the school, although students don't like it very much. Since I have left my confidence has dropped, significantly.

8515 Old Mount Vernon Rd, Alexandria, VA  22309
Last modified Mount Vernon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mount Vernon High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top