Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 1,889

Posted May 18, 2015
I am about to graduate in June..... I can tell you that I never liked this school. Freshman year I had a bad biology who missed so many days, and end up failing me for the year.... Sophomore year I had a mediocre geometry teacher who wasn't a good teacher and ended up failing that class, and our sols scores are joke. Since Freshman year they might of replaced half the math teachers, and English teachers. none of my English teachers I had Freshman, Sophomore years, junior year are there anymore. Now the principal removed 0s cause too many people where failing so now the lowest grade we can is a 53%

Posted April 24, 2015
We have a freshman at Mt Vernon, were hesitant at first because of bad reviews, comments about the school. We are glad we decided to stay. Our child came from a Catholic middle school and feels very safe and happy in the new environment. The Principal seems to have the student's best interest on mind, has seniority, commands respect, and is very involved. Teachers, counselors, coaches and others have been very accessible and responsive. Students have a lot of extracurricular activities to choose from, including great athletics. All kids, no matter their race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status are encouraged to succeed. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted April 21, 2015
MVHS is probably the worst school in Fairfax County. For one thing, most of the teachers either don't care if a student understands something or not, hate MVHS as much as the students do, or are just plain rude. Students get in trouble for silly reasons. The counselors are barely there. When they are, they are always busy. The dress code is ridiculous, the principal walks around every morning searching for people with something on that she doesn't like. Ex) ripped jeans. It could be the tiniest hole, and they send them to AIA. They don't allow leggings, but do allow yoga pants. They are basically the same thing, some yoga pants girls wear are even more inappropriate than leggings. These students have to miss a whole day because of something "distracting" even though the student will be sitting for 90% of the day, for no one to pay attention to. But they allow students to wear full on costumes to school for no reason which is way more distracting than leggings, ripped jeans, a skirt, or shorts. Most girls want uniforms, instead of being embarrassed by a lady shouting out "DRESS CODE!" in the middle of the cafeteria, and grabbing a ruler to measure your skirt in front of everyone.

Posted March 12, 2015
We have a daughter in the 9th grade at Mt. Vernon. We absolutely love it!! Her classes are challenging and are more than preparing her for the future. We get weekly / biweekly progress reports. Her teachers seem to take a personal interest in her. We really like that the teachers are available for extra help at a variety of different times through out the day / week. At the beginning of school our daughter said that there were some fights but the administration took care of them swiftly and we have not heard of any problems since. The only thing we were less than thrilled about was the 9th grade volleyball coach. Her display of poor sportsmanship was disappointing. Overall, we are extremely pleased with MVHS. Our daughter is very disappointed that we are moving this summer and she will not be able to continue at MVHS.

Posted February 18, 2015
After looking at all of the parent,s reviews I have seen many low ratings. Before you make up your mind that Mount Vernon is a bad school, consider what you are about to read. All if not most of the reviews are by parents. PARENTS AREN'T THE ONES GOING TO SCHOOL. I am a student , a real freshman student and Mount Vernon is the best school I have ever been to. I now go to a school with a 5 star rating because of parents liking the school, although students don't like it very much. Since I have left my confidence has dropped, significantly.

Posted February 10, 2015
As a military family with many years in DODEA schools where I served on the school board for many years, we are very disappointed in MTVHS. We thought MTVHS would be the right school for our child because of it's smaller size, other schools in F/FX County are huge. We were very wrong. This school is light years behind DODEA in every aspect. The sports program is bad, the arts program is poor...the musical program is a joke. Their IB Program is minimal in comparison to others. The admin seems to be clueless to the problems in the school, too. It is very diverse, which we like in a school, but the student social levels are very much a problem. The pep rallies and the basketball and football games are more like unto prison break outs with screaming out of control unattended rude students everywhere. School spirit does not mean vulgar rude behavior at such events. I have never seen a member of the admin try to control the students at these events and I attended every football game at MT

Posted January 31, 2014
My daughter is a freshman in High School. she never failed a class till she step foot in Mount Vernon High School. Her teacher is always giving her a hard time. the Principal leadership is failing. she needs to hire better teachers.

Posted September 04, 2013
CRAZEH, 5 Stars Man. Very Diverse and stylish ways of teaching, Exellent IB program as well.

Posted August 23, 2013
Mount Vernon continues to be a great school, having great athletic and extra curricular activities, but most of all GREAT teachers. We are thrilled to have our last of 5 entering this year!

Mount Vernon High School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
So far this school has been very welcoming and helpful. We are military and new to the East Coast, so it was very important to us that the school be military firendly and understaning to transitioning students.We are looking forward to the new year!

Mount Vernon High School
8515 Old Mount Vernon Rd, Alexandria, VA  22309
Last modified Mount Vernon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mount Vernon High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top