Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 1,889

Posted February 18, 2015
After looking at all of the parent,s reviews I have seen many low ratings. Before you make up your mind that Mount Vernon is a bad school, consider what you are about to read. All if not most of the reviews are by parents. PARENTS AREN'T THE ONES GOING TO SCHOOL. I am a student , a real freshman student and Mount Vernon is the best school I have ever been to. I now go to a school with a 5 star rating because of parents liking the school, although students don't like it very much. Since I have left my confidence has dropped, significantly.

Posted February 10, 2015
As a military family with many years in DODEA schools where I served on the school board for many years, we are very disappointed in MTVHS. We thought MTVHS would be the right school for our child because of it's smaller size, other schools in F/FX County are huge. We were very wrong. This school is light years behind DODEA in every aspect. The sports program is bad, the arts program is poor...the musical program is a joke. Their IB Program is minimal in comparison to others. The admin seems to be clueless to the problems in the school, too. It is very diverse, which we like in a school, but the student social levels are very much a problem. The pep rallies and the basketball and football games are more like unto prison break outs with screaming out of control unattended rude students everywhere. School spirit does not mean vulgar rude behavior at such events. I have never seen a member of the admin try to control the students at these events and I attended every football game at MT
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 31, 2014
My daughter is a freshman in High School. she never failed a class till she step foot in Mount Vernon High School. Her teacher is always giving her a hard time. the Principal leadership is failing. she needs to hire better teachers.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 04, 2013
CRAZEH, 5 Stars Man. Very Diverse and stylish ways of teaching, Exellent IB program as well.

Posted August 23, 2013
Mount Vernon continues to be a great school, having great athletic and extra curricular activities, but most of all GREAT teachers. We are thrilled to have our last of 5 entering this year!

Mount Vernon High School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
So far this school has been very welcoming and helpful. We are military and new to the East Coast, so it was very important to us that the school be military firendly and understaning to transitioning students.We are looking forward to the new year!

Posted August 14, 2012
mount vernon high is making a valliant effort to meet the needs of all students in the face of gross misconduct by several students. The principal is amenable and works to deal with situations to the best of his ability.

Posted July 23, 2012
Cannot say enough about this school (positive). Yes, there is a diverse student population, I enjoy that, as do my kids! Students, faculty and staff are very friendly and it's very cool to see the different students interacting. There is a top notch ROTC program, great sport programs, drama/other extra curricular activities, good parental involvement, and so far the teachers have been top notch!! I'm particularly impressed with the leadership and guidance departments, and how they truly support the teachers, students, and parents! For such a large student body, so many cultures and personalities (in the students and staff) it's certainly a fantastic school.

Posted July 19, 2012
Great principal, some great teachers, a lot of good teachers. Potential for friction with so much diversity but the administration handles it well.

Posted July 19, 2012
Let's try this again. We have only been at Mount Vernon for a year. My daughter came from a very small school and we were concerned about the size. My daughter also has a 504 education plan, another concern: would it be adhered to, would she fall through the cracks, would she fit it? I am THRILLED to report that we have had nothing but positive response and assistance in helping our child succeed through this transition, and she is thriving. We love the diverse population and the students and staff seem to be happy!

Mount Vernon High School
8515 Old Mount Vernon Rd, Alexandria, VA  22309
Last modified Mount Vernon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mount Vernon High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top