Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My daughter was always talking about things she learned in class. Especially history and biology. Very effective.

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughter played two sports while at Mt. Vernon so we were concerned about balancing her time between sports and school work. We had a few rough nights early in the year, trying to figure out a schedule and how to balance it all but after that it wasn't a problem at all. She was not overwhelmed with homework but had the right amount to encourage practicing what she learned in school that day.

My daughter, unfortunately, only attended Mt. Vernon for her 9th grade year. We moved before her 10th grade year. We loved everything about Mt. Vernon. She was involved in sports and had wonderful experiences, especially with softball. Her teachers were great. Of course, like with any school she liked some teachers better than others but we were happy with all. The administrative staff was also wonderful. We really can't complain at all about the school. We all wish we could have stayed for her whole 4 years.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers seem overwhelmed and in my experience all communicate via email every two weeks to give you a grade and feedback on assignments and test scores. I have had two children graduate from this school, we moved from another state here and I saw my children take a nose dive here. They became disinterested, did not do as well academically and didnot thrive. One child had an IEP and the school changed him from a standard diploma to an attendance diploma without consulting us or asking. We found out because we are proactive parents and repeatedly questioned schedule changes and demanded my son be placed back into his regular classes. At one point the meeting became so contentious we brought in an outside expert to evaluate the schools actions and the response was one administrative calling my ex husband to inquire as to my legal status because I speak with an accent. ( I was born a citizen so took offense to that) I quickly squashed that and had that person removed. It has been a struggle and not at all a positive experience and I am saddened by that. There were good moments but it felt like the staff selected who to encourage based on performance because they had such limited time. My kids are not sports minded or academics so they were left behind. That was sad.

Develops character: Neutral

I have heard from parents, students and my own children that there are favorites in the school, how can there be fairness with that perception.

Just a struggle to get teachers involved, and with one child with an IEP a struggle to get the school to not label him disabled and tell him he was disabled so he could graduate with a standard diploma. This was not their agenda not their plan and it was a yearly fight for the school to keep him on track to graduate with his class. with my daughter she just needs lots of encouragement and she did not get that and it was the same fight to get the teachers on board to help her succeed.

I am about to graduate in June..... I can tell you that I never liked this school. Freshman year I had a bad biology who missed so many days, and end up failing me for the year.... Sophomore year I had a mediocre geometry teacher who wasn't a good teacher and ended up failing that class, and our sols scores are joke. Since Freshman year they might of replaced half the math teachers, and English teachers. none of my English teachers I had Freshman, Sophomore years, junior year are there anymore. Now the principal removed 0s cause too many people where failing so now the lowest grade we can is a 53%

We have a freshman at Mt Vernon, were hesitant at first because of bad reviews, comments about the school. We are glad we decided to stay. Our child came from a Catholic middle school and feels very safe and happy in the new environment. The Principal seems to have the student's best interest on mind, has seniority, commands respect, and is very involved. Teachers, counselors, coaches and others have been very accessible and responsive. Students have a lot of extracurricular activities to choose from, including great athletics. All kids, no matter their race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status are encouraged to succeed. GREAT SCHOOL!

MVHS is probably the worst school in Fairfax County. For one thing, most of the teachers either don't care if a student understands something or not, hate MVHS as much as the students do, or are just plain rude. Students get in trouble for silly reasons. The counselors are barely there. When they are, they are always busy. The dress code is ridiculous, the principal walks around every morning searching for people with something on that she doesn't like. Ex) ripped jeans. It could be the tiniest hole, and they send them to AIA. They don't allow leggings, but do allow yoga pants. They are basically the same thing, some yoga pants girls wear are even more inappropriate than leggings. These students have to miss a whole day because of something "distracting" even though the student will be sitting for 90% of the day, for no one to pay attention to. But they allow students to wear full on costumes to school for no reason which is way more distracting than leggings, ripped jeans, a skirt, or shorts. Most girls want uniforms, instead of being embarrassed by a lady shouting out "DRESS CODE!" in the middle of the cafeteria, and grabbing a ruler to measure your skirt in front of everyone.

After looking at all of the parent,s reviews I have seen many low ratings. Before you make up your mind that Mount Vernon is a bad school, consider what you are about to read. All if not most of the reviews are by parents. PARENTS AREN'T THE ONES GOING TO SCHOOL. I am a student , a real freshman student and Mount Vernon is the best school I have ever been to. I now go to a school with a 5 star rating because of parents liking the school, although students don't like it very much. Since I have left my confidence has dropped, significantly.

Last modified Mount Vernon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.