Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Our daughter has had a great two years at RES with wonderful teachers. With the new principal, the overall feel of the school has improved- teachers, staff, and students seem genuinely happy to be there! Communication is from the administration is much better, and IME was already good at the classroom level. The addition/expansion of the school's STEAM program has also been very appreciated.

2 years at this school and the changes in one year have been amazing. After years of neglect from the school board, we have a new principle who is going to great lengths to change the atmosphere. Both years our teachers have been excellent. They respond immediately to my emails. Their doors are always open for meetings. They call me with positive updates. Class sizes are small and manageable. Communication lines are improving.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have adopted a new motto, "Effort & Attitude " and have clearly made this a priority throughout.

This school is going through a transformation this year with a new principal. The biggest change I have seen has been with the positive learning environment. My kids love going to school now and their effort has improved drastically. I also notice a major improvement in communication and community outreach.

The bullies and disrespectful students are allowed to disrupt classrooms. The most recent teacher feedback / working conditions survey indicates the Administration doesn't support teacher's efforts to maintain order in their rooms and this describes the situation i've experienced. One of my children had a peaceful classroom with cooperative children and had a great, productive year. The other had foul mouthed bullies who frequently abused teachers, and pushed, threatened, and hit fellow students resulting in a year that was not very productive. I expended a great deal of energy working to get the classroom environment improved. If the situation is as bad this year, I will move the kids to another local school. There is a high rate of staff turnover at this school. I would not consider staying here except it is our assigned AAP center. Woodley Hills ES is a wonderful school, highly recommend it... consider going there instead.

Great programs and Student-Teacher communication. It helps advanced kids with the AAP program and others.

So far my child has enjoyed her years at Riverside. She is in 3rd grade AAP this year and really looks forward to school. There have been a few issues in the past and I have talked to whomever I needed to take care of the matter. Teaches and other staff have been great at helping with any of our concerns or issues. I love the ladies in the office and so does my daughter (we walk in to say good morning everyday ).

I would think twice before sending your child to this school. Then think again. I cannot say enough negative things about this school. Bullying, poor teaching methods, horrible communication on behalf of the staff on up to the principal, you name it it is AWFUL. We tried extremely hard to make this school work for us and in the end decided it was not worth the effort. If you are satisfied with mediocre teaching then fine, but if you want truely exeptional teaching LEAVE and do not return. There are far better public schools within a mile of this one that are superior. We ended up leaving after two years and feel that it was the best decison we have ever made. Our child is THRIVING at her new school and she has been there for two years and about the enter her third year. The principal is nonresponsive and blames the student. Who does that? Truly, DO NOT ENROLL YOUR CHILD IN THIS SCHOOL.

Teachers here do not communicate properly with parents about student progress. Additionally, the don't adequately address student deficits and students are left struggling. Leadership makes excuses and do not hold their teachers accountable.

I have mixed feelings about this school. Out of the 6 years my kids have attended public schools, I've never had to come up to a school as many times as I've come to Riverside. The staff and principal seem to be okay and cooperative if you stay active with talking to the principal and teachers with the issues you are having. The assistant principals treat the principal like she's President Obama b/c you have to go through them to talk to her unless you are persistent to talk with her. There is one assistant principal I must say is super annoying and no matter what you come to the school for although it's none of her business she wants to know whats going on. I've personally met a counselor, speech therapist and school pshychiatrist who wasnt worth a penny with a hole in it until I got others involved from the county. I can say that all the issues I've had were solved by being respectfully aggressive but I wanted to write a truthful review that gives the pros and cons of this school. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done but overall being an active parent will get you positive results in this school.

Last modified Riverside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.