Stratford Landing Elementary School 2

Posted September 29, 2014
The new leadership at SLES leaves much to be desired. Still hoping the new style evolves to a partnership with parents. Vague leadership remarks leave one feeling like this school was in the dredges before - it was not. And we can stop pretending SLES is suddenly a Title 1 school.

Stratford Landing Elementary School 3

Posted June 16, 2014
I struggled with this rating. My son is in the AAP and came from a Montessori program. He tested very high on the IQ exam and initially we were thrilled, but this year has not been very good. He started there in 3rd grade. His third grade teacher was great, she really managed the kids, there were no behavioral problems reported by our son. Montessori teaches the kids to be responsible for themselves and their own behavior, it's a student directed progam. Fourth grade has been a different story, the teacher has been ill-equipped to manage the behavioral issues of the kids in her class. My son has been bullied the entire year, by one boy and the two boys that follow him. My son has handled it and has also spoken to the teacher, but she seems to have missed the boat. We have asked that my son not be placed in the same class with this boy for 5th grade. Academically, the AAP is really not all it's cracked up to be. At my son's Montessori as a 2nd grader he was working on 6th grade math concepts and doing well with them. At SLES AAP he is doing 5th grade math using concepts he learned last summer at math camp. It's really disappointing. Classes should be smaller, that is a big problem

Posted May 10, 2014
We are a military family and moved here just before 1st grade. Right away we were pleased with the school and the ease of registration. We are now at the end of the 2nd grade year and still extremely impressed. Both teachers have been amazing. The new principle seems to be making huge changes within the school, for the better! The PTA is very active. I couldn't be happier and look forward to my second child starting kindergarten here in the fall.

Posted March 07, 2014
We moved to this area for the stellar reviews of this school. After a year of behavioral issues, disruption and bullying that our children endured on a daily basis, we've pulled them out and have gone private. We took these issues to the Admin Office and they did nothing. Teachers hands are tied and they have no back-up which may be the reason why so many left.. Rooms are overcrowded (29 students in both our children's class with 4-6 being special needs in one room) and only ONE TEACHER! Truly a nightmare for our family.

Posted March 23, 2013
As a transient military family, we have been absolutely thrilled with our experience at Stratford Landing. The teachers and community are the best in the area. Our kids have excelled beyond our wildest expectations here, and we are thankful for the experience. If you are considering schools in 22308, Stratford Landing is a must!

Posted March 12, 2013
What a problematic year this has been for our family. No school is perfect, I understand that. However, when there are problems, the administration turns a blind eye to it. The discipline problems with many of the students is enormous. Some of the kids who attend SLES are sadly so damaged that their needs dominate the learning environment. Come to this school only if you are in the area from K-2nd grade OR if your child tests into AAP. Otherwise, it could be the worst mistake of your life. Neighborhing Waynewood does not have the magnitude of problems SLES does. Then again, they have different leadership. This school has been a nightmare. I wish there was a way to rate it in the negative category.

Posted March 12, 2013
The Gen Ed program at this school is distressed. I echo the sentiments of the previous entry. The school has a practice of 'stacking' all special needs & IEP's in one class creating --a burden to the teacher. If your child is unfortunate enough to be placed in the room with all IEP's, the class will resemble what would have been Special Ed @ 15-20 years ago. It is sad that the county has created a fiasco with their 2-tiered system; AAP & Gen Ed. Instead of AAP being an elite educational experience, it is what Gen Ed should be. Gen Ed then becomes a dumping ground for profound behavior problems, learning challenges, and burdened teachers. It is no wonder that the teacher turnover at this school is so high. The 'supposed' average students are left without an appropriate peer group or educational rigor. Emails to the leadership voicing concern/complaint will go unanswered. It's a sickening situation. I applaud the teaching staff! Parents are involved. I hope that the outcry against the lack of sound leadership increases so that this school can be brought up to the level it should be.

Stratford Landing Elementary School 4

Posted February 27, 2013
This is our first year at this school and it has been such a great "restart" of my childs elementary school years. The teachers are all Amazing, really care for their students and make learning fun! I do not care for the Vice Principal or the Principal very much, but the fact that the teachers and the other employees are amazing help you forget that not everyone is qualified for a "Higher up" position with children. The office people are a little stuck up or seem like you are bothering them when you have questions... but you can't win them all.

Posted September 06, 2010
Teachers are energetic and positive. Test scores speak for themselves. Choir and orchestra are great.

Posted July 26, 2010
Stratford is a excellent school. We have been very happy with the education that our sons and daughter has received here. The school focuses on every child - not just the gifted (our children are not in the program).

Stratford Landing Elementary School
8484 Riverside Rd, Alexandria, VA  22308
Last modified Stratford Landing Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stratford Landing Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top