Bad
Good

My granddaughters have done very well at this school. Moved on to Carl Sandburg and were on the National Honor Society.

I'm impressed with the teachers and the parents in this school. Parents are encouraged to participate...and they do. It's fantastic. My kids are loving school and I like the atmosphere of the school. My kids are doing well in each subject and I feel like I have a good idea what's going on every week because communication is great plus I can volunteer in the classroom and help when they need it. Plus the PTA has some really fun programs that lets newcomers like my family join the community. The teachers are also kind and seem to really care about the students. So far my kids seem to be having a great experience.

Have read all the previous reviews. It is NOT hard for non-WW community kids to assimilate (moved here with daughter in 3rd grade - no issues; adopted two boys (K and 2nd grade aged) from overseas with NO English language skills AND learning disabilities - no problem). We live well outside WW. Assimilation complaints are idiotic. Supposed issues with diversity issues once kids go to Sandberg and WePo are also moronic. We have experienced no such troubles at Sandberg or WePo. To the contrary, my kids have accumulated dozens of friends from the Rt 1 Corridor. If you want additional diversity exposure join Gunston or LMV soccer, FHLL and other FHYAA sports or BSA/GSA. At WW itself the Special Ed, Speech Therapy, ESOL and Reading programs are outstanding. Staff generally have LONG tenure at the school. Mr. Meyer (principal) stands at the Conover corner every morning assisting the student crossing guards. Teachers maintain excellent comms with parents. Parent volunteers coordinate activities for every class room. Fields/playground are in pretty good shape. With 4 kids I currently have a consecutive 12 year history with WW, with 2 more years to go. Excellent school.

My family currently has three children enrolled at Waynewood Elementary. As a military family, we have seen a number of schools across the nation, and this is one of the best. It has all the ingredients for success: Great teachers, great administrators, great neighborhood of families with a common prioritization of the importance of our children's education.

I've attended this school since I was in Kindergarten through 6th. I've loved it, the teachers are very caring and the parents are very much involved. It is mostly White, not much diversity, but that's ok because it's always been like that and thats why in my opinion it's the best public elementary school in Alexandria or even in Fairfax County!

Don't understand why some of you are so worried that children aren't prepared to meet the the "real" world, when children transfer to a middle school... Children aren't blind and they have enough exposure to real population of this area via sports, camp, rec center activities...Don't you worry about them adjusting to it! More important for this age group is to learn what ideal world should be like, how to be polite with others and take care of people and environment, with minimum expose to crime and violence. I believe this school raises great future generation, sensitive and kind to diversity and poor.

This school is like a facade. It's nearly all white. There was one Asian in my daughters class. I think the children are in shock when they are thrown into the fire of middle school with a much more diverse population. The parents further try to skirt the elephant in the room by continuing with AP classes in middle school and will do anything to insure that happens. It makes for a one dimensional child. I had two children (a son and a daughter) at Waynewood who came from a diverse advanced academic background, they found it academically boring (son) and socially full of drama (daughter). We opted for a diverse private school and haven't looked back.

I went to this school when I first came to this country from S. Korea. This school is great. Teachers and staff are attentive and professional. For all those parents who gave low ratings to this school might be more comfortable in a lesser rating ghetto schools. April 3, 2012, your kids will be more comfortable in Washington Mill Elementary. It will better suite your child's needs. There's more lower middle class group of kids with disabilities attending there. Don't hate on the working class people who do not depend on state aid. Way to represent your hood!

Comments like the one below on April 3, 2012 have no place in the discussion. The school is either effective at teaching today's youth or it isn't. If you do not like the school, then leave. It really is that simple. So much for the desire to have a color blind society.

When you look at test scores by subgroup you will see that our school has no diversity if you didn't already notice by looking in the classroom. With the neighborhood resources available and the extremely active PTA, these test scores should be hovering the 100's. There is also a significant difference in scores between girls and boys. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to teach to an all white middle class group of kids without disabilities who's motivated parents can afford all the classroom amenities and tutors. These children will likely not be prepared for middle school when they meet their true peers and neighbors from Rt. 1 I'm surprised Great Schools gave Waynewood a 9.

Last modified Waynewood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.