Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

I have had nothing but a great experience with my child the 4 years she has been at Lane. The staff, administration, and teachers are responsive and very helpful. Additionally, the administration likes to get to know the children and participates in various activities. Last year the principal and vice-principal agreed to be duct taped as part of a contest for the 2 classes producing the most Box Tops. Their attitude is refreshing. They are friendly, but are not push overs and do what needs to be done. I would highly recommend this school to anyone. My daughter has received a great education here.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I know they do this. I spoke with the vice-principal and it was taken care of within less than an hour.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I think the administration is strong yet makes an effort to show their softer side with the kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I think the teachers are great at this school. They take the time to work with the kids and make sure they are doing well. They are responsive to any problems and questions one might have.

Amount of homework: Agree

I just think that homework does not produce added results at this age and that it is a waste of everyone's time. However, it seems to be the current wave and this county is riding it.

The administration is a disaster at Lane. One indication of this is their teacher retention rate. Last summer they lost 20 teachers. Two other teachers told me privately that the reason they left and went to another county to teach was because of the administration at Lane. I've watched as the rating on this website has gone down over the years. We pulled one of our kids out of Lane after an experience with a teacher who was illiterate. She couldn't properly grade papers, she couldn't spell and she couldn't string together a sentence when she would email. It was embarrassing. Another issue we had was their response to bulling. We requested that the group of mean girls who bullied my daughter all year be broken up into different classes for the next school year. The administration responded that they would do their best to make sure that our daughter wasn't in the same class as these girls. That wasn't what we requested. We requested that the bullies be broken up so that other children wouldn't be bullied by them as well. The administration's answer was to simply displace the problem instead of addressing it. Not acceptable. The other issue we had was the way the teachers and administrators dressed. Once the weather turned warm, they were consumed with the dress code, sending home reminders and making comments to children who were dressed inappropriately. In addition to the few children who were not properly dressed, it was the teachers and principal who were inappropriately dressed. I was shocked to attend my child's strings concert and the principal was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. On a day where you know you are going to have to stand before parents and welcome them to a concert, to wear jeans and a t-shirt!? How can you set a good example for the children if you can't even come to school in appropriate clothing? Very disappointed in Lane Elementary. To think that we moved to Fairfax County because of the schools is sad.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers at Lane do a very good job of explaining basic civic values to the kids without running afoul of political correctness. They just talk about right and wrong in a non-sectarian way. And they enforce the rules -- crucial to kids.

Our daughter has attended Lane since Kindergarten, and she's in 2nd grade. She has done extremely well at Lane. Teachers and staff really seem to care about the kids. Facility is always immaculate. Very involved PTA. We are very likely to move into the school district so we don't have to request a transfer renewal application to the County each year. The student body is diverse without being monolithic.

The staff as well as the administration really care about the well being of the children. They are very approachable, and to top it off the PTA is one of the best I've ever seen!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The majority of the teachers at Lane have gone back to school to earn their Masters degree in education. The teachers are innovative and strive for the success of their students. They are a tight knit community.

Last modified Lane Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.