Alexandria, VA

Posted February 12, 2014
This is our child's last year at this school. We will truly miss everything about it. Professional and courteous staff, amazing principal, caring counselors, dedicated teachers (Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics And Science Teaching Recipient), wonderful PTA, involved parents, many enrichment activities, and the best Rec Center. Academics are outstanding! The only elementary school that has continuously surpassed the progress results required for ACPS. I would choose it any day over the other elementary schools in the area. I wish they considered expanding it to 8th grade (like they are doing with another school), because it seriously frightens me that we will now have to deal with the failing middle schools in the area (Worst Bang For Your Buck, according to Forbes). Frustrating when middle/high school time comes, many parents in the area have to consider either paying astronomical tuition rates (think college prices) for middle and upper level, private education (not that great, you're just paying outrageous costs for your kids to continue getting what this school offers, plus the unwanted elitist ridiculousness), or moving to an even more expensive neighborhood.

Posted October 23, 2013
my daughter loves this school she alwys brings a friend home and the teachers are so nice the food is great my daughter is in 5th grade and has to say good by to cbes small school but a great school

Posted April 29, 2013
This is a fantastic school! My son transferred here in the third grade and he loves it. I never have to worry about him wanting to go to school. The Park and Rec. center is an added gem- well run, professional and fun for the child. I give the school a 5 out of 5!

Posted October 04, 2012
This little school is simply spectacular. The front-office is engaged and genuinely helpful, the faculty and staff are simply wonderful, and the parent community is highly supportive. The school environment is safe, but not in the sleepy sense. Our DC just graduated, and we will miss CBES more that I can possibly express -- we are very grateful to CBES.

Charles Barrett Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2012
I am not sure what criteria this site uses to determine its rating, but Barrett is the only school in its division that met AYP. (out of 14 other schools.) It is a fantastic school with a diverse student body that is exceeding all our expectations.

Posted June 23, 2011
This is truly an amazing school. The principal is wonderful and the teachers are excellent. People here actually care about the kids. The extracurricular programs, PTA and after school recreation program are great. Many families from other areas are trying to get their children enrolled here. Academics are outstanding! I'm very happy to have my children in this school.

Posted April 10, 2011
I went to CBE from 1996 to 2002, and my younger sister went from 2000 to 2004. Out of all the schools I have gone to, Charles Barret is the clear winner in my book. My second grade teacher is part of the reason I want to work with kids one day. I was bullied a lot in school, but staff members here make an effort to show kids they care- which is more than I can say about other schools in the area!

Posted August 19, 2010
Strong academics, enrichment programs, and great facilities. The new principal is amazing. My kids love it there!

Posted April 26, 2009
I do not understand this rating score of a 3. I am moving and looking at new schools and would never send my child to a '3' school. However, my daughter has been at Charles Barrett since 2nd grade and it is a wonderful school! The teachers and other staff are amazing. My daughter has struggled through each grade and every teacher has been very involved in finding out what works for her. The parent involvement is outstanding and everyone knows everyone. There arent' any safety issues and it is a small school which I love!! I only wish my son would be able to attend Charles Barrett, we will truly miss everyone!

Posted November 13, 2006
This is our first year at this school and my daughter just loves it. As her parents we are also very happy with all the teachers and staff. The students are also lovely, well mannered children. We have nothing but positive things to say about this school. We love that it's small and so hands on. Any family would be lucky to be a part of this community. I can definitely tell the difference from her previous school.

Charles Barrett Elementary School
1115 Martha Custis Dr, Alexandria, VA  22302
Last modified Charles Barrett Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles Barrett Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top