Alexandria, VA

Posted December 09, 2014
My daughter attended MacArthur for K-5 until transitioning to GWMS. I found the teachers were generally good (although some were hit or miss) and administrators are supportive. However, the school is extremely racially stratified. My very friendly, sociable daughter was never invited to birthday parties, sleepovers, or social events held by the White girls in her class, despite being good friends with them in the classroom, starting in kindergarten. All the parents of color I spoke with recounted the same experiences. I'm a Georgetown professor and my husband is a lawyer, so I have to assume the exclusion was based on race, not class. By fifth grade, most of the White students in the class were placed in TAG, which meant they were on a separate track and not a single student of color in the fifth grade was in TAG (MacArthur had 50 students in TAG, 49 of whom are non-Hispanic White and 1 of whom is Black, in the 2012-13AY), which means that each block is either entirely White or entirely students of color. My daughter was never recommended for TAG at MacArthur, but in middle school has maintained a 4.0 in all honors classes for a year and a half now that she is finally challenged.

Posted March 24, 2014
The level of education is very high, but the softer side of education (recess, social time, etc) is somewhat lacking. There is a strong socio-economic divide exemplified by the after-hours care.

Posted April 24, 2012
D.M. exemplifies the type of personalized education our son needed. Our home school is Samuel Tucker but due to overcrowding we chose to send our son to this elementary school. Best decision ever!! Douglas MacArthur is run like a private school. I moved to NOVA from New Orleans for the school system and I am very pleased with this school.

Posted August 17, 2007
Excellent school, both for academics and social skills. Both the principal and asst. principal are dedicated to creating a good environment for the staff, as well as the children, and the teachers are wonderful!

Posted December 22, 2006
This school has a very active PTA and does a wonderful job at getting many parents involved in school activities. The principal does a tremendous job with the kids and is very involved in their day to day activities. They have an excellent staff including the art, music and gym teachers. We are always impressed with the curriculum that our children are being taught.

Posted September 19, 2006
Probably the best elementary school in Alexandria - very active PTA. We have a problem each winter though that we are not allowed to discuss anything about Christmas in the school - only Hanukah, Kwanzaa, etc. Renowned art teacher

Posted March 16, 2006
A Great School, Fully accredited and Awesome PTA

Douglas Macarthur Elementary School
1101 Janneys Ln, Alexandria, VA  22302
Last modified Douglas Macarthur Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Douglas Macarthur Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top