Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

This school is great. The teachers are great and have high expectations for the students. The administrators and counselors are easily accessible and available to help. The student population is wonderfully diverse. I love that my child is exposed to so many different cultures.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Yep. School leadership is great about handling bullying situations once they know what's going on.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Yes, the school leadership is great! Ms. Hall is making positive changes. I do wish the district leadership communicated about serious issues more effectively.

Develops character: Agree

Yes, they discuss what it means to be an Admiral, but I feel there is little incentive for positive behavior and too much focus on "taking things away" if a student does something to annoy a teacher.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I believe the teachers know their content and may teach well, but not all of them have kids' best interest at heart. I've sometimes felt that teachers behaved more like gatekeepers and wanted to prove students couldn't do the work instead of actually helping students move forward. In the two years my son has been at the school, I have seen an improvement in teacher quality.

Amount of homework: Agree

Teachers are very intentional about having students write homework in their agendas and communicating with parents when necessary. The 7th grade teachers are great with this.

My son is now in 7th grade and even though the transition to middle school was a challenge, I felt that the school leadership was extremely supportive even when the teachers were not. Ms. Hall is an outstanding leader, and tremendous change has happened in one year. Also, Hammond has the BEST orchestra instructor period. Ms. Jackson rocks! Ms. Ortiz rocks! Mr. Rademacher rocks! Dean Diggins rocks!

My son is a 6th grader this year, and so far I am very pleased with the rigor in his honors classes and the quality of teachers he has. Great beginning to middle school!

There has been quite a bit of turmoil with the schools coming together but my child and I agree that this was his best year of school. The 8th grade principal actually does her job. By that I mean she treats the students fairly and consistently and is always professional. I have quite a few visits to the school for various reasons and she has never greeted me without a smile. I know working with children, some with good behavior, and some without, could make for frustrating days but one could never tell that based on her demeanor. My son tells me that she is always visible and willing to assist. Based on the conversations I've had with other parents and students I believe Hammond is on it's way to better days. Having three different schools wasn't the best to begin with. We are on our way out, but to those coming, best wishes. Hammond is a middle school, there will be problems. However, if the students are lucky, Mrs. Ortiz will become the head principal.

Develops character: Disagree

My child plays by the rules and is not rewarded. I have heard several times from them how they have protected someone from being bullied or done the "right" thing and they are not supported by the teachers and staff. This has cause my child to get a target put on them by the other kids. Middle school is hard enough, why should my child be socially shunned for having the guts to do what is right? I have heard from other parents that there is NO consistency with how the students (good, bad, neutral) are treated.

Last modified Francis C Hammond Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.