Alexandria, VA

Francis C Hammond Middle 4

Posted June 14, 2015
There has been quite a bit of turmoil with the schools coming together but my child and I agree that this was his best year of school. The 8th grade principal actually does her job. By that I mean she treats the students fairly and consistently and is always professional. I have quite a few visits to the school for various reasons and she has never greeted me without a smile. I know working with children, some with good behavior, and some without, could make for frustrating days but one could never tell that based on her demeanor. My son tells me that she is always visible and willing to assist. Based on the conversations I've had with other parents and students I believe Hammond is on it's way to better days. Having three different schools wasn't the best to begin with. We are on our way out, but to those coming, best wishes. Hammond is a middle school, there will be problems. However, if the students are lucky, Mrs. Ortiz will become the head principal.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
No, the teachers have been disrespectful and insulting to my child. That is a poor example to set.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
My child plays by the rules and is not rewarded. I have heard several times from them how they have protected someone from being bullied or done the "right" thing and they are not supported by the teachers and staff. This has cause my child to get a target put on them by the other kids. Middle school is hard enough, why should my child be socially shunned for having the guts to do what is right? I have heard from other parents that there is NO consistency with how the students (good, bad, neutral) are treated.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted June 04, 2015
It depends on WHO your child has as a teacher. My child has had several bad teachers - classroom mgmt skills were lacking, no responsiveness to my emails, IEP violations, etc. However, there have been 3 WONDERFUL teachers and teacher's aides that have truly helped my child. This school has been averaging a 30% staff turnover in recent years. Such a high turnover rate happens for systemic reasons. At the Open House I overheard an 8th grade teacher remark to another one that they were "glad not to have parents show up at the Open House"! This was my 1st Open House there - boy didn't I feel welcomed! So, it all depends on WHO your child has for a teacher.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 04, 2015
My child has an IEP due to learning disabilities. Several teachers have violated my child's IEP by assigning improper assignments. I have sat for 4-6 hours on several occasions helping my child through the homework. That said, I have heard from other parents that their "gifted" child has had 0 homework all year. I think there needs to be a balance.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
No. Why should a student work hard when it is not rewarded. The school uses the VA-Standards of Learning which is based ONLY on the achievement test at the end of the year. Classwork and homework do not count in the final grade. My child has asked me why I make them do their work when it doesn't count? Not everyone performs well on tests. Most students are passed along anyway, so why should a student work hard when they will be passed along anyway? This system is broken.

Posted May 08, 2015
Hammond is a mess. No tardy policy, no consistent discipline. Lunch time is a mess - food fights. There are some great kids and teachers, but learning doesn't take place, when the principal won't deal with the "high fliers", kids who continually disrupt instruction. Inconsistent consequences range from 1 day in school suspension for hitting a faculty member to 4 days ISS for breaking a door. Why? Ditch the principal! Get the teachers on board. Get the parent community members involved. Stop sticking your head in the sand ACPS. Put kids first!

Posted January 30, 2015
First of all this school has 600 6th graders and 1500 kids total from 6-8 grade so you know it's not going to be good. This school is one of the most dangerous school I've ever been to, there are at least 3 fights a day everybody knows about. Most of the teachers are unsupportive, disrespectful to students, and also pick on students. Changing classes is the hardest and worst part of my day, there are pushing, hitting, and fights left and right. I'm leaving this terrible school to go to a way better school which is a K-8 school which only has 400 kids total, but for all the kids going to Hammond good luck to you and your parents.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 27, 2014
thsi schol has good teachers and stuff but the safety is very low i remember obe day my child came home with a black eye and a busted lip amd and bruises she was so hurt she cane home crying and begging me not t go back i felt sb ad i couldn't beleive it she had said that soneobe was picking on her and i told her to tell the teachers but it seems like they didnt help i chose this school because it was close to our bew neighberhood and it looked lje a good school but now i know what goes on there my daughter said that they do that alot and there are many fights and they usally endup on all social media and some kids even get cyberbullied this was my daughter last year which i am glad and im hopping this review will make other parents think twice about sending tge children here i can honestly say mad a mistake chossing this school
2 people found this helpful

Francis C Hammond Middle 2

Posted August 25, 2014
I admit that this school can be a a excelent it cud be however, you always get picked on If you are a guirl the girls would try to pick on you and if they are a group they wud not let let you sit with them at lunch and youll panic as to where you could sit. if you are also a boy the other boys would pick on you and try to get you involve on a fight. this school hashas been known as a very rude school. there are also many videos of fights going on especially in instagram. If i coulf choosr where i shud have been for 7th to 8th gd. i wpuld not cjpose this school

4646 Seminary Rd, Alexandria, VA  22304
Last modified Francis C Hammond Middle is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Francis C Hammond Middle Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top