Alexandria, VA

Posted December 19, 2014
GW is an institution filled with highly skilled educators and wondetful students. While this (and all schools) will always have some issues to address and improvments to make, we should not forget that this is truly a great school in a wonderfully supportive community.

Posted December 09, 2014
My daughter attended Douglas MacArthur Elementary School, where she wasn't challenged academically and transitioned to GWMS last year, where she has finally been challenged and flourished! Under the new redesign, each grade is organized into 4 teams of 100 that each share the same 4 core teachers. The teachers organize their curriculum as a team, conduct conferences together, and work in concert. The teachers have been excellent and supportive and the opt-in honors curriculum has been very demanding, particularly in science. My daughter takes Chinese (one of 5 foreign languages they offer) and is learning both pinyin and characters from an excellent, engaging teacher. She reportedly really likes all her teachers and finds her assignments interesting. The only concern my daughter has raised is that the school appears to be very racially stratified. She is in a team consists of predominantly White students (She's the only Black student is half of her classes), and when her homeroom teacher sent her to each homeroom to collect forms, she observed that each classroom is either almost entirely White or almost entirely Black and Latino.

Posted October 31, 2014
Our child came to 6th grade at GW as a new student. Since day one, the teachers took care of her and followed her closely providing a lot of support. The curriculum and level of challenge met our high standards as well. She has good friends and loves the school and community. Our family highly recommends this school.

Posted October 26, 2014
We chose to send our children to G.W. because is a very effective institution. We highly recommend it to other families who have high standards and want their children to receive a great education.

Posted September 02, 2014
I find that the educators at GW focus intently on improving achievement for all students. The school provides a clean, safe and disciplined environment which I believe is key to making a difference in student learning. The principal and the ACPS administration are supportive and strong as well. The academic programs are state of the art and our children have been successful there.

Posted August 26, 2014
Our family has had a great experience at GW Middle School. GW has a large group of engaged families and amazing resources. Without a doubt, this is an excellent school. Our daughter is doing very well and is motivated by the school's amazing AB curriculum and top educators. We were initially uncertain about sending our child to a large school. Our fears were unfounded.

Posted July 26, 2014
G.W. has excellent, experienced and well-qualified teachers. Many receive awards at the state and national level.

Posted June 13, 2014
My child and his numerous peers at George Washington Middle School excel academically and are offered amazing extra-curricular opportunities. The school has been terrific for us. We thrive in this community of engaged families and are very happy that we decided not to send him to a private school.

Posted April 13, 2014
This school is excellent. I think the caliber of G.W.'s faculty is on par with the best in all of Northern Virginia, if not the world. Ours on does well at G.W.

Posted February 26, 2014
My child and I both love GW Middle School. As a student who is on the college track, he tells me that cannot imagine a better place to go to school for many many reasons. The opportunitties that are offered to him are truly amazing and he has a tight group of sharp, polite friends. I think the school's culture is very positive and progressive.

George Washington Middle School
1005 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria, VA  22301
Last modified George Washington Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
George Washington Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top