Alexandria, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 30, 2014
The teaching staff at JKPolk Elementary are the best in the nation. Their professionalism and caring for each student is unwavering. Highly recommended. The family community supports all the students and their families tremendously.

Posted September 16, 2014
My child just started at James K. Polk and I could not be more pleased with this school. Their K-prep program over the summer really prepared my child for the first day of Kindergarten. And although it is still early in the school year, the growth and love of learning that the teachers, paraprofessionals, and administration are instilling in the students is very easy to see. I am thrilled that my child will spend his elementary years at this school.

Posted August 12, 2014
This is the best school! We have the BEST principal, awesome assistant principals, and an amazing, welcoming staff! I love working here!

Posted April 30, 2014
Is the best kept secret in Alexandria. A diverse community led by a happy principal and taught by high quality teachers and staff.

James K Polk Elementary School 1

Posted August 12, 2013
I have a child who is attending James K Polk for 3 years already. (but I really hope that we will move soon, so my kid will attend a better school). I am really surprised to read all those good comments?! The school is not good at all, the teachers are not doing what they are supposed to and I have to educate my son at home, so that he passess the SOL at the end of the year! I agree with the parent who posted a comment below who says that there is no communication between teacher and parents (and I have never received study guides to know how can I help). I have to write to the teacher aalmost every day and ask how can I help my child, eather way, she wouldn't sent me any email, note or letter at all. My child did great on the 2013 SOL, because of me working with him, but the thing is that there was never a prise for his work at school. He has always received only bad remarks.

Posted July 28, 2013
Hi! I am a student at James K. Polk Elementary School and this is my 6th and final year which is quite sad for me because I have loved this school ever since I started! All my teachers have been supportive, nice, and have brought joy to me and my peers. My encore (activity) teachers have made their subjects fun yet very educational. The music teacher gives us a chance to shine every class. The PE teachers have gotten me active the two times a week I get to see them. The library reader will entertain us with every kind of book and when we are done we choose (a) book(s) of our own to read for a week. Last, but not least, the art teacher who I love so much is very involved and optimistic telling us to try our best on every assignment and all of our projects are always fun and come with education. So without the James K. Polk staff I wouldn't be who I am today.

James K Polk Elementary School 4

Posted June 11, 2011
My son has attended Polk for 2 years. We have had a wonderful experience! He has completed K and 1st grade. He has had a great foundation for learning developed. The teachers have been positive and creative. He loves school! We are sad to be moving but grateful for the time he had at Polk. I highly recommend this school. The administration is great, office staff are wonderful and the PTA is very involved.

James K Polk Elementary School 2

Posted June 03, 2011
well , my son is in 3 grade , all the time i need to send notes to help my son with the test, they never send home works and study guides. this school is the worst for parents with other lenguage.

Posted February 26, 2011
we recently moved to virginia from the south and my children had been in christian schools all their lives. that being said, we have had a wonderful experience at james k. polk elementary. having never went to public schools myself but having worked in them, i did not have good expectations honestly. however, the principal and staff proved me VERY wrong! they have been extremely caring and concerned for my children's adjustment to the new social environment as well as their academic adjustment. my 5th grader and 2nd grader have adjusted extremely well, and i am very grateful and actually sad it's time to transition my 5th grader - i wish we had another year at least!( my biggest concern is the lack of an ethnically diverse pta board; that is the one thing that bothered me... Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Thornton, Mrs. Bryant and Ms. Wieder - thank you!

James K Polk Elementary School 4

Posted May 14, 2010
Polk is a great school! The teachers are very smart and have high standards for the children. My child is in the 2nd grade and has attended polk since Kindergarten. She is smart, well adjusted, and seems to enjoy learning. She has had 3 wonderful teachers. Thank you Ms. Liverpool, Ms. Drasheff, and Ms. Ochs for your outstanding dedication. Mr. Brown, the ex-principal, was outstanding as well. As a parent, I was sorry to see him go.

James K Polk Elementary School
5000 Polk Ave, Alexandria, VA  22304
Last modified James K Polk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James K Polk Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top