Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Great school with caring teachers. The adminstration is attentive to the needs of the students, teachers, and community. I love the way the faculty and staff work together for the betterment fo the school.

I have taught at this school for 6 years, and it is the best school in Alexandria. It is incredibly diverse with students from all over the world. The staff is the friendliest around, and the administration truly cares about their employees and students. I highly recommend Polk to parents, students, and new applicants.

Great school..! My daughter attends this school her teachers are friendly. It's in a nice Neighborhood.

We have 2 children at Polk and have been very happy here. It's a great, diverse community and we've seen options grow during our years as parents. Polk's After School Clubs options are growing and communication is improving thanks to a very committed PTA. There is a real sense of community. Teachers and Administration are very responsive. We have had some GREAT teachers and have heard other parents say the same. The facility has a great campus, lots of green space, with a new green gym and classrooms. When we did have an issue in a lower grade, we were very pleased by the administrative response: teacher, specialist and administrators met with us and we found a solution that solved the problem. Support staff, including School Nurse, are great, too. Polk is a school that really cares about your whole child.

My child has had excellent teachers at James K. Polk: very communicative and involved, with a true understanding of what a child needs in the classroom. The PTA at this school is fantastic and there is a great sense of community and involvement at the school. Polk also offers a huge range of after school clubs for all grade levels and interests, in which my child has loved participating. A GREAT principle and staff. We love Polk!

Polk serves a wonderfully diverse, culturally rich community. This is such an incredible plus, but is too often undervalued. It has an administration that has been exceptionally supportive of involved parenting. And it is on the upswing in so many ways -- new parent-led efforts like more afterschool clubs, one of the greenest school campuses in the country following its geothermal and green building renovation, and the biggest campus in the entire Alexandria school system, with greenspace and playing fields other schools can only dream of. There are some exceptional teachers, notably Mrs. Cox, Ms. Koz-Calvo and Mr. Palmer. The testing trend is troubling, but I think it should be seen in the context of the economic diversity in the school compared to other Alexandria schools. There are challenges that I think are tied to the larger ACPS. I think the school district really discourages active parental involvement in the classroom because of the onerous sign-in system that requires taking time off of work to go to the administration building; surely there's a better way that protects kids with a cursory background check, but actively seeks out and encourages involvement.

The teaching staff at JKPolk Elementary are the best in the nation. Their professionalism and caring for each student is unwavering. Highly recommended. The family community supports all the students and their families tremendously.

My child just started at James K. Polk and I could not be more pleased with this school. Their K-prep program over the summer really prepared my child for the first day of Kindergarten. And although it is still early in the school year, the growth and love of learning that the teachers, paraprofessionals, and administration are instilling in the students is very easy to see. I am thrilled that my child will spend his elementary years at this school.

This is the best school! We have the BEST principal, awesome assistant principals, and an amazing, welcoming staff! I love working here!

Is the best kept secret in Alexandria. A diverse community led by a happy principal and taught by high quality teachers and staff.

Last modified James K Polk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.