Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

I hate the use of quasi uniform, They have uniforms but they're really just guidelines, and some kids are wearing the uniforms purchased from high end stores and some are wearing cheap walmart/target products. The discrepancy in uniform choices I think reduces the effectiveness of the uniforms. Also my daughter hates the ugly uniforms and changes her clothing as soon as she can. It doesn't instill pride not even a little bit. My daughter's kindergarten teacher was very good, communicated, provided feedback, responded to emails or notes. Her first grade teacher was much much much less responsive, when she did provide feedback, it would be 2 or 3 days after any event, that happened, so when I tried to discuss it with her, as with most 1st graders 3 days ago was forever ago.

Lyles-Crouch student, parents, teachers and administrators all work together as a community to ensure every student is developing academically and personally. The kids treat each out with respect, the same way the teachers treat them.

We have been part of LCTA community for 4 years and cannot say enough great things about the school. LCTA’s success can be attributed to the 4C’s: Core Knowledge Curriculum; Character; Community; and Communications. The idea behind the Core Knowledge curriculum is simple but powerful: knowledge builds on knowledge. Students benefit from the curriculum’s goals of stronger reading comprehension, critical thinking and problem solving while developing a foundational knowledge in language arts, literature, history, geography, math, science, music, and visual arts. LCTA was designated a Core Knowledge School of Distinction in 2015 for outstanding content integration across the subject areas and effective teaching practices. LCTA incorporates the 6 Pillars of Character–trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, fairness, caring & good citizenship–into all that it does including lesson plans, assemblies, newsletter articles and community service activities. In 2012, LCTA was designated a National School of Character demonstrating that the school’s character program has had a positive impact on academics, student behavior, and school climate. LCTA has an outstanding history of community involvement. Hardworking and dedicated volunteers donate time, skills, know-how, and money to benefit every student, their families, and the teachers. Parents contribute countless hours to the school by chaperoning field trips, assisting in the classroom, managing the Uniform Locker, coordinating After School Programs, working with the School Board, raising funds, planning community service events, tutoring, hosting social events, leading school tours, maintaining the garden and field, taking care of the day-to-day needs of the PTA, and more! Another important segment of the community is the administration, staff and faculty at LCTA. They make an effort to get to know every student at the school and work hard to serve their individual needs so that every child succeeds. Each of the first three Cs benefit from strong communications within the LCTA community. LCTA and the PTA work hard to communicate with and educate families and the community through different media. LCTA proudly received the 2016 Virginia PTA Outstanding Communications Award demonstrating the PTA’s success at building community and building a positive experience for teachers, parents and students.

LCTA, like every school has great and mediocre teachers. At the end of every year parents get all worked up about which teacher they hope their child will get in the next grade. There are some who should have retired a while back and they lack energy and enthusiasm, two traits that are necessary for elementary school teachers. This school is run like a traditional academy, with uniforms and a rather strict and sometimes unfriendly administration. Parents volunteer a lot of time at school and it is a great community. They run the after school programs, mentoring for students and a slew of other things. In Alexandria, LCTA is known as one of the better elementary schools and well this assumption is self perpetuating, everyone believes it and it clouds their own experience. It's fine but not a good fit for all students. Test scores are a big deal but that is northern Virginia for you. Instead of focussing on creativity through art and music, fostering problem solvers, the focus is on academics. Art and music exists but creativity does not.

Lyles-Crouch is an amazing school. Kids are taught by loving teachers. They follow a highly rigorous curriculum. Test scores are strong. My child made so many friends, participated in excellent after school programs, and enjoyed her classes. She attended 3 - 5 grade at Lyles-Crouch and loved every moment.

We love LCTA, and are so happy we were able to transfer here from our underperforming elementary school. It's a small and active community with a lot of parent involvement. The academics are rigorous, and the school's high test scores, ranking, and achievements reflect this rigor. The student body is diverse and the school is succeeding at educating all cross sectors of the student body, which we appreciate. Our children are challenged academically and personally through the school's focus on community service involvement and character and giving back to the community. There is a terrific selection of after school programs, from language immersion to technology/coding and yoga. The uniforms and dress code add to the children knowing that school is to be taken seriously and respected. Our only complaint is that there is almost too much focus on discipline and we wish the kids had more free-play time. The children work really hard. Even kindergarteners have several homework assignments each week.

My daughter just started kindergarten this fall and so far we are happy with the school. I really love the uniforms and behavior charts that are sent home on a daily basis. I also think it is great that the school teaches character education. I believe my daughter is receiving a very good education in an organized and safe environment. I also appreciate her teacher who is very responsive to questions and concerns we may have. So far our experience has been positive. The principal is by the door every morning greeting the students by name and the classes are small.

We have been very impressed with Lyles Crouch Traditional Academy. Our daughter comes home smiling every day, eager to share what she has learned. Classes are small, and there is an emphasis on good behavior, character, and anti-bullying. We chose to transfer into this school based on other parents' insights and school reputation. And we have not been disappointed. There is an academic achievement focus here, and it is proven by the fact that LCTA was ranked first in scores for elementary schools the City of Alexandria. The principal is not warm and fuzzy, but takes pride in what she does and the school she oversees. She has a more dry sense of humor, but stands outside the building doors each morning to welcome each child by name. The only criticism I have about the school is the PTA, which is very "clubby," and comes off as unwelcoming and unoriginal. But the school itself has been great for our family. And we love the uniforms. The great equalizer, and makes getting ready each morning a cinch. It appears that the recent negative complaints are from one disgruntled parent with a special needs child, who is hellbent on lowering the ratings.

This is a horrible school. We had a second grade child with some reading issues, had requested for them to test our child, in October, to see if he had any reading disabilities and the teacher said he was just a lazy reader. We asked several time throughout the school year for our son to be tested. It came down to me telling the teacher that I had spoken to a social worker and the social worker said, by law, that the school personnel needs to test him if we ask. The teacher, then, forwarded our request the reading specialists. They set up a meeting in June a with me to talk about my child's reading issue. I was thinking, "great, about time." It was a hoax. I was told that they were going to hold him back in the second grade and reassess him in November. I had my son tested through the military channels after telling them the school refused to test him. Within 10 minutes the child psychologist said "I'm painfully aware that your son is dyslexic and that Lyles-Crouch FAILED your child!" In less than four months at a new school, my child is doing great! We're military and move a lot & this has been the worst school they have attended.

LCTA has been wonderful for my children. The principal is amazing-firm and no-nonsense. I see this as a good thing. She is respected by the teachers and I think she knows all the children by name. The TAG program is amazing--I can't say enough about the quality of the TAG teacher. We have had many teachers over the years. Two of the four best teachers we ever encountered taught at LCTA (two at GWMS). These are truly excellent teachers. Most are very good, with an occasional, less-than-stellar teacher, but this is normal. It's a National School of Character: emphasis on good character as well as academics. Classes are small. Weekly music and art for all grades. The perception of a school depends on expectations and personality types. I do not expect my children's needs to be put above all the other students. However, there are good matches and bad matches. LCTA may not work well for some students, but the reviews here are not reflective of the fraction in the school. LCTA continues to provide an excellent education for my children. (To previous comments: One of mine is NOT a "quiet little girl who's uniform is tucked in just right"--she loved LCTA! & One star because of UNIFORMS?)

Last modified Lyles-Crouch Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.