No rating

Pinecrest School

Private | PK-6 | 85 students

We are best known for individualized instruction and a nurturing atmosphere.

Living in Annandale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Posted October 8, 2013

My kids are thriving at Pinecrest and truly LOVE school. The teachers are PHENOMENAL -- dynamic, creative and really are committed to actively engaging students. For example, my kids' classes have baked a giant cookie in the shape of Virginia and iced it to identify the regions, created resumes and applied for classroom jobs to make enough money to write checks for their monthly mortgage (their desk) utilities, etc, mentored the younger students by reading to them through the school's weekly Book Buddy program, made their own mini movies in computer class, complete with voice-overs and take home CD's.... and so on. I am amazed at what they are learning and retaining at their ages -- and think it's largely due to being so happy and engaged there. So thankful for Pinecrest!

Posted October 8, 2013

We pulled our daughter out of public school and have watched her confidence soar since day #1 at Pinecrest. I have been brought to tears seeing the changes in her and seeing her find her way. She was admitted into our base school's AAP program and is not only learning more than she was, but is loving going to school every day. The kids look out for each other and the Head of School reinforces that behavior on a daily basis. There is a spirit of kindness here that we have seen her completely embrace. Among her favorite Pinecrest special events is a Thanksgiving feast where all of the students are served by parents and are then seated with students and teachers from other grades. This tradition epitomizes the school's "This is Community" mantra, which makes for such a successful learning environment for our daughter. Pinecrest is a rare find, and we are thrilled to have discovered it.

Posted October 6, 2013

We cant believe we have found such a warm, positive, intellectual, creative environment for our son to spend his school days! The local public school offered a "traditional education." Our son cried every morning and dreaded going back the next day. The faculty seemed impatient and exhausted. Toward the end of 3rd grade, we decided to look for a private school within our price-range that might salvage his impression of learning and ease his anxiety. Pinecrest seemed to match our criteria, but we had no idea how much it would alter his educational experience. He BEGS for school in the morning. At pick-up time he spills all of the fun details of the day. This is hands-down the BEST decision we have ever made. Gifted students may excel further, while students with needs are given time and attention needed. Discipline is handled in a supportive/appropriate manner (which gives my son relief from worry/distraction.) Music, art, foreign language, computer and a phenomenal gym "coach" make this place feel like summer camp, every day! Pinecrest has put our son's attitude about school in the right direction, and will leave him with deep roots and strong wings for secondary school.

Posted October 6, 2013

Pinecrest is about community. As a parent, you must be willing to contribute as much to your children's educational experience as the wonderful staff who work with them daily. The children, knowing that mom and/or dad are also dedicated, naturally tend to step up and engage fully. The results are unbelievable and the kids love going to school. Pinecrest focuses as much on the emotional and social development of young children as they do the academic development. And with small class sizes, the kids get significant individualized attention. Each child is pushed according to his/her abilities and supported individually to stay on grade level. Enrichment classes, including Spanish, PE, Art, Music and Computers begin during Pre-K and drive a comprehensive curriculum. We have two children at Pinecrest and like many other parents, wanted an environment driven by a love of learning, not of testing and frustrated teachers. We've been rewarded by teachers who love their work, kids who love their school and a community of parents who devote their time to helping make it all possible. And the tuition is far less than many of the other private schools in the area. We could not be happier.

Posted September 5, 2013

I cannot say enough positive things about Pinecrest. It is clearly a hidden gem! I have 2 children that currently attend this school and they both are so eager to get to school each morning. (A huge turn-around from their previous school where they would be crying when I dropped them off and picked them up!) The teachers are not only adept at gently pushing each child to their full academic potential but they are very nurturing and concerned about each child's emotional development. The Pinecrest Community focuses on the whole child and each child gets the attention they need. Class sizes are considerably smaller than other schools, both private and public, and the parents are very involved in this tight knit community. I appreciate the recommendation I received from another parent that steered us to Pinecrest! Kudos to all the staff and teachers!!!!

Posted June 23, 2013

My daughter has attended Pinecrest for two years, and her love for the school is clearly expressed in her excitement and eagerness to go to school every day. Pinecrest provides a strong sense of security through the love, caring and dedication the faculty and staff show towards the students learning and well being, which adds to my daughter's eagerness to go to school to learn and play.

Posted October 30, 2012

There are a million different things that make Pinecrest a fantastic school: the teachers, the curriculum, the small class sizes. However, if I had to pick just one reason why we are so happy to be part of the Pinecrest community, it would be that every day, without fail, my kids come home and say, "I had a great day. I love school." I can't think of a greater compliment to a program than having such happy, enthusiastic students with a clear love of learning. -Current parent, children in grades 2 & 4

Posted June 12, 2012

Children here learn to think outside of the box! The teachers go above and beyond to plan innovative lessons, performances, and projects that encourage curiosity and discovery. It is a small family friendly community where parents can be involved. Amazing teachers, staff, and students! Everyday my child says how much she loves Pinecrest and sometimes it is so much fun it does not feel like school!

Posted March 17, 2012

Pinecrest has been a terrific experience. We have been in preschool for two years and would likely continue at the school if we were not leaving the area. Pinecrest combines nurturing, play and academics perfectly. In this area it is often hard to feel connected, but Pinecrest does a great job of connecting kids and families with their school community. I cannot say enough good things about the experience we have had at Pinecrest, it will certainly be something that stays with my son for a lifetime.

Posted December 7, 2011

This is our third year at Pinecrest. Our children (in 2nd grade and preschool) are thriving academically, emotionally, socially and absolutely love going to school every day. It was very important to us to send our boys to a school that would challenge them academically while being a nurturing place for them to grow and learn. We have been consistently impressed with how well the teachers know them and address their individual needs. Not only do the teachers and staff care for their students, but they also foster an environment where the children support and respect one another. Pinecrest s regular school day is impressive, including enrichment classes for pre-K 6th grades; they also offer a fantastic after-care program, great after-school activities, and a summer camp the boys look forward to every year. We couldn t be happier.

Posted May 30, 2011

I just got the 'Great Schools' email about checking on your school's test scores to see how well it is doing. Fortunately, my child is at Pinecrest and does not have to suffer through the SOL process (I see lots of kids in the middle of that right now and feel sorry for how much it intrudes into their schooling). That being written, I just got her test scores from the one standardized achievement test they use to assess where the class is and if they are doing a decent job. The scores I got confirm everything I have believed about Pinecrest, specifically that it does a fabulous job teaching kids to be WELL above the minimum requirements. In fact, I believe the results show that they are able to teach at a higher level than the County GT programs. I am thrilled with all that she is learning, but even more importantly, I am thrilled that she loves going to school and her love of learning extends beyond the classroom and into life in general.

Posted December 15, 2010

I am the parent of a first grader and I turned to Great Schools to research our private school options. All I can say is THANKYOU! We began our journey with the Summer Pavilion and it was wonderful- the camp experience is so creative and different from anything else we have found. Our daughter loved it. With regard to the school, we have seen our daughter thrive under the small class size (hers is a full class of 15) and intimate atmosphere. The teachers are wonderful and really focus on each child - which lets them grow and develop socially and intellectually at their own pace, but with amazing results. The teachers and staff are remarkably accessible and committed. Family involvement is encouraged and you feel so welcome among the staff, teachers and school community. There are special classes (like French, computer, library...) which help to provide a challenging and dynamic environment for the kids. After-care is available and my daughter LOVES her time in aftercare. There are also enrichment type aftercare classes (like study buddies, mad science...) which are wonderful experiences for the kids and very popular.

Posted December 7, 2010

My three year old is currently attending Pinecrest and we all love the preschool and after-care program. Their early literacy and developmental mathematics programs are excellent and our daughter has excelled in her language and skill development. She talks about her teachers and friends and all the adults in her school know her name and welcome her each day. We are very grateful to Pinecrest for giving our daughter such a wonderful first school experience that she'll take with her for life.

Posted June 19, 2010

I am the daughter of the other review, and I LOVE this school. The teachers have great ideas for teaching us stuff, they are nice,and they have awesome programs.

Posted May 6, 2010

Our son has been a student at Pinecrest School since first grade. We were looking for a school with excellent academics and small class sizes. Pinecrest has proved to be that school and more. Now a rising fourth grader, our son is flourishing academically and socially. His teachers are caring, nurturing and highly supportive. They use multiple instructional methods that cater to various learning styles. Because the class sizes are kept small, his teachers know our son well and are able to individualize their instruction to his best advantage. For example, Pinecrest's flexible math program has allowed him to jump ahead a grade in math, enabling him to work to full potential. In addition, he is excited to go to school every day. He also enjoys Pinecrest's many extracurricular activities and its summer camp, Pinecrest Pavilion. We are confident that our son is receiving an outstanding education at Pinecrest School.

Posted April 23, 2010

Pinecrest has been life-changing for my child! My biggest regret is that I did not bypass the public kindergarten and go straight to Pinecrest. Pinecrest has a wonderful principal and a parent Board of Trustees. The teachers are committed, intelligent people. The school has a curriculum that logically builds upon itself from one year to the next. Pinecrest actually teaches grammar! They have vocabulary AND spelling! The school is able to accommodate different types of learners. Kids who are able may move up in math beyond grade level. Thanks to the small class sizes and the differentiated instruction, academics are advanced without the pressure. Much can be accomplished during the school day without all of the distractions. My child was overlooked and languishing in the public school. Now he is actively learning and excelling! I have no doubt that people hoping to qualify their kids for GT in 3rd grade would get the best foundation possible at Pinecrest. That being said, the nurturing environment would be difficult to give up.

Posted February 23, 2010

Both of our boys are thriving at Pinecrest School. They are learning, making friends and having fun. Although they have very different learning styles and different strengths and weaknesses, the school's small class sizes allow the teachers to meet each of them where they are and encourage and inspire them to improve. We are thrilled to have found such a wonderful school community.

Posted January 30, 2010

Pinecrest has it all - outstanding teachers, small classes, and the flexibility to allow children to accelerate as they are able. The school provides a supportive community where a child can develop self-confidence and feel good about themselves. The dynamic in the classroom is engaging. My son started here in 3rd grade. I only wish we had found Pinecrest sooner.

Posted January 29, 2010

Pinecrest School offers a wonderful environment in which teaching is a daily joy.Teachers can teach, and support each other, both in and out of the classroom. Our teachers are professional, knowledgeable, and care not only for their individual classes, but the entire student body. Individual instruction is a given on an as - needed basis because we have small student - teacher ratios. Support from the Head of School, Board of Trustees and parents is awesome! Together we are a blended, respectful, fun - loving community who love and care for all students who attend Pinecrest School - a rare partnership not found in many of today's school environments. Simply said, No child is left behind at Pinecrest School.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 29, 2010

After experiencing both public and private area schools, we were fortunate enough to discover this phenomenal Utopia for our 9 year old daughter last year. (We finally got it right!) She has blossomed in this nurturing environment! Each day, she is challenged w/stimulating, fun, interactive lessons by experienced, loving teachers who know her well. (She also loves the frequent field trips that complement what the students are studying in class.) There are no social pressures, only encouragement to achieve her potential. She is happy, confident, and enthusiastic about her studies. Thank you Pinecrest! No other school comes close.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Best Private School, Washington FAMILY Magazine (2011)
  • Best Preschool, Washington FAMILY Magazine (2014)
  • Best Day Camp, Washington FAMILY Magazine (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • French

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:40 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ms. Nicole McDermott
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAEYC
Fax number
  • (703) 354-0502

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• individualized approach
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Transportation options
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Creative writing
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • After-school Activities
  • K-Kids Service Leadership Club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units