Westminster School

Private | PK-8 | 264 students

Our school is best known for its well-rounded program.

Living in Annandale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

Westminster School holds high standards of conduct and academic excellence. It believes in allowing each child to rise to the challenge of meeting and exceeding expectations. It has a team of strong leadership to include the headmaster and wonderful, wonderful dedicated teachers and administration. We have a 1st grader and a pre-k (4) student attending the Griffin Academy of Westminster, and our experience has been beyond what we hoped for with both of them. They are each challenged academically and they each have art, music, French, and theatre performances that involve every child. What I love the most is their excitement and joy in going to school and in learning! I know it will get harder as we progress through the grades, but nothing easy is worth doing. Wtih added focus on manners, civility, comraderie, and trying their best, this school outshines so many other private schools in my opinion. It has so many graduates working for the school as teachers and such longstanding traditions of value, we couldn't be happier with our decision. We look forward to our years ahead and our future Westminster graduates!

Posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Westminster is as good a school as I could ever have hoped and dreamed to find for my children. Its academics are advanced and its teachers are enthusiastic, caring, and well-versed in their subject matter. The policies may be stricter than at other schools I have encountered, but they are extremely fair and my children are thriving in such a developmentally and academically stimulating environment. The challenging classroom structure is balanced by the many body and soul activities. At Westminster, the children have athletics every day and it places a great value on the performing and visual arts as well. I am confident each day I drop my children off for school that Westminster is helping them grow not only intellectually, but ultimately preparing them take their place as citizens of the world. If you are the type of parent who appreciates firm, but compassionate guidance and who wants your child to learn that the point of doing anything is not necessarily the outcome, but rather the work that has gone into it the process of striving to attain a goal, the journey itself as it were - then Westminster is the place for your family.

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

I am the parent of two very different young men. Westminster School meets the different needs of the boys beautifully. The school sets high expectations of the students in all areas. It is always exciting to see my boys rise to meet these expectations. My older son needs constant challenge and the school provides it. He is confident and thinks he is ready to conquer the world. He is learning important foundations of the value of strong writing, organization, and responsibility. My younger son has confidence issues and is shy - never wanting to be in the limelight or singled-out for anything. The school has worked wonders to bring him out of his shell. In addition, he is learning valuable skills in getting organized. He has struggled with this and his teachers have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help him hone this important skill. The school is not for everyone, but if you are looking for rigorous academics, and an environment where personal responsibility, kindness, respect, and being able to THINK are valued, I STRONGLY encourage you to take a look at the school. It is great value for the tuition.

Posted April 10, 2014

A loving environment which feels like a second home to our family. My children enjoy going to school each day and look forward to the many special events and field trips that compliment their studies. They are receiving the best education and are being taught my caring, loving, and talented teachers. We have never once regretted the decision to send our children to Westminster School; a true treasure in Annandale.

Posted April 8, 2014

An excellent school with a truly classical curriculum. The teachers are wonderful, and my children have thrived in this environment that teaches them how to be the very best they can be in all areas.

Posted April 3, 2014

I do not recommend this school. If you are considering this school please do your home work prior to committing.

Posted March 26, 2014

As a parent of a former student of Westminster I do not recommend Westminster for a multitude of reasons. Mainly the school is about one thing and one thing only Shakespeare theatre. However if you do decide to attend I recommend strongly the first year you guard your child's emotional levels as they will surely be tested.

Posted January 4, 2014

Westminster School really is a special place. The teachers and administration are so dedicated to the children that it shows in every aspect of school life. High expectations are coupled with tireless support. This formula yields remarkable results in the children. Not just in outstanding academic achievements but also in developing their sense of poise, kindness and social responsibility.

Posted October 30, 2013

I would give this school all the stars in the Universe if I could. Westminster is the best thing that has ever happened to my daughter and my family in general. This is our second and, unfortunately, the last year at Westminster and I only have two regrets that this school does not last until 12th grade and that I did not find it sooner. We love everything about Westminster: strong academics, incredible teachers who know children better than their own parents do and bring out the best in each and every one of them, students life beyond academics a fascinating journey with talent shows, class plays, field trips, school dances, dinners with the Headmaster just to name a few. It is truly amazing how much time, energy and soul the Headmaster Mr. Glover, and his deputy Ms. Glazier invest in children in an effort to turn them into highly educated, confident, well-rounded individuals, to teach them all the important life skills and, most importantly, to celebrate the beauty of life. So I just wanted to say thank you, Westminster, you have been an amazing journey and we miss you already.

Posted July 5, 2013

My daughter joined the school in the 5th grade, and my only comment would be, why didn't we move to Westminster earlier. The school's headmaster and teachers truly inspire the children to be the best that they can be. The teachers are the very best and the curriculum is very traditional. My daughter has exceled and become so interested in school since joining. They have even shown us talents we did not know she had. There is a very strong academic focus, and they have high expectations of the children, This is mixed with school plays, fun field trips, a love for the classics and other fun activities. There is a true sense of warmth when you are in the school and they make it their mission to know each child individually and bring out their strengths. The Westminster children have a lot of confidence and poise, that the school as helped them to acquire. Westminster has made a really difference for my child. There is also a strong parent community if you wish to be part of it. If you considering a private school in VA, look no more, this is the best.

Posted June 7, 2013

Our daughter just finished 2nd grade. She had a great year; she really has grown this year but I have to give credit to her great teachers. We love Miss Sapper and Mrs Baur, they do an amazing job. The lower school has been a great experience for our daughter. Our son is entering kindergarten coming from the Griffin Academy, which is a WONDERFUL preschool, and we are so relaxed and excited. We too were nervous prior to starting at Westminster because the kids are challenged to do their best and you worry how they will handle it but they handle it with tremendous ease. I cannot say enough great things about the preschool, k-2 program at Westminster. I'm sure third grade will have its own challenges but we think she is prepared to handle them. - Lori James

Posted September 16, 2012

Westminster School provides a loving and nurturing environment in which children thrive. The faculty and staff are motivated to provide an education of excellence and dedicate themselves to ensure that each student reaches his or her optimal potential. It's an honor to work in a school that is completely supported by the administration and parents.

Posted September 9, 2012

Also, please don't think the negative reviews are just because it is "strict" and "challenging". It is the mind-games Admin. engages in, and the refusal to allow any forum for question, that ultimately makes people leave with a bitter taste in their mouth. (The meeting with parents by grade is set up to run out the clock so there's no time for questions!) And, fyi - the 45-min after-school detentions (which also mean missing the bus and must pick up your child, hard for working parents) are for *every* infraction; e.g. missing pencil - can't borrow from your neighbor. Several times, over half a class didn't understand an instruction - teacher, if you're holding half your class in detention, maybe it was your instructions that were off base? The strikes are the extra-bad ones, three strikes and you get Saturday detention, but that is of course much more rare.

Posted August 21, 2012

My daughter graduated in 2012 after eight years at this school. She has just been admitted to Mary Baldwin College at age 14 to study Renaissance literature (which includes English Renaissance theater performance) and will minor in French. Westminster gave her an excellent background in French, Latin, math, history (both European and American), English literature and a very refined sense of English grammar: a claim supported by her SAT scores (taken in the middle of 8th grade she scored far better than most high school students planning to enter college). She was admitted to one of the most elite high schools in Fairfax, but personally assessed that it would not provide the intellectual stimulation she craves. My daughter is not a genius, she simply has an intense desire to learn. Westminster completely satisfied that desire for eight years by keeping her with great books, great teachers and a real sense of intellectual accomplishment. We love, and deeply respect the headmaster, who takes a serious interest in the development of each child.

Posted July 31, 2012

Working here was a nightmare. The turn-over rate is high and staff operate within a ticking time bomb of stress. Ask how many of the staff are licensed by the state (or any other state) to teach OR ask how continued development is fostered. Besides a yearly workshop, staff are not encouraged to grow, compete, or develop professionally. In fact, many are "not asked back" for doing just that. Look into how the "reading specialists" are trained and you might be surprised. Ask how ofter the teachers are evaluated, or (even more rarely - as in NEVER) the administration is evaluated. There is no room for constructive concern in this institution. Once you learn the 6 degrees of seperation that connect all the long-timers, you will be less impressed with the Italian tile in the bathrooms and the green blazers.

Posted July 25, 2012

I was very disappointed in the head staff at Westminster. They are extremely rude. The focus is on discipline, but it's over the top. I was reprimanded twice and I'm an adult with good manners. The first was for having "inappropriate" discussion at lunch and the second was for answering a child's question about my hand. Apparently, I wasn't suppose to have any interaction with the children while standing in a line. I want to find a warm, welcoming school with a strong academics. I don't need to place my child or money into a school that reprimands me or crushes my child's ego. The discipline is very harsh and I imagine is akin to a 19th century orphanage run by strict nuns or a bootcamp for children. The arts, which is their other focus, lacks because art and creativity don't fit neatly into a disciplined box. I can tell you from experience the "art" is just a throw in to make their school appear solid. It's nothing you can't find at another school. There were a lot of bad reviews before. They seem to have been taken down and replaced by a plethora of good ones. While attending Westminster we were sent several emails encouraging people to write good reviews.

Posted February 26, 2012

Westminster has provided my children with a great education and has helped prepare them for high school and even college. They learned many wonderful lessons that truly help them in every day life as well. I am so thankful for finding this school and I know my children are as well.

Posted February 23, 2012

Westminster School has blessed our daughter in SO many ways! Words simply cannot express our appreciation for the unbelievable dedication and love the teachers, staff, the Headmaster, and quite frankly, the parents, have for all the children in the school. Our only regret is not finding Westminster sooner. We are forever grateful.

Posted February 23, 2012

It is pretty amazing that I am a freshman in college and I still hold this school very dear to my heart. Westminster School has enriched my life in ways that one cannot imagine when simply seeking a middle school for their child. The teachers I had the pleasure to be taught by and the pleasure to work with are compassionate, intelligent, unselfish, and extremely capable. All members of the faculty are happy, loving, and nurturing. The environment of this school is welcoming and promotes a positive atmosphere for learning. The education I received there stays with me today for we covered topics so diverse and enriching that they have still remain relevant to my life. The relationships and bonds formed at Westminster are unrivaled and the memories I have are irreplaceable. If you want your child to receive a top notch education consider this school, however it is not just an education they will receive, it is an enrichment in character and family. I am so grateful to have and to have had this school in my life.

Posted February 20, 2012

I am a former student of Westminster, and I have to admit it wasn't horrible. However my experience there was not very pleasant. I liked that the school was clean, and I appreciated the discipline, but after I left that school I was very unprepared for my next school. I didn't know how to use powerpoint, and I could barely type all that well since we had just started typing lessons. At my new school instead of giving out detentions, the people turn in their assignments, b/c they realize that their grades will be hurt if they don't.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Fx. County Volunteer Group of the Year (2012)
  • VDOT Award of Excellence for Adopt-A-Highway (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Core knowledge

• Humanities
  • Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer time after school