No rating

Immanuel Christian School

Private | K-8 | 400 students

We partner with Christian families to inspire students for purposeful lives.

Living in Annandale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Posted August 28, 2014

I love this school, but not as much as my new 6th grader does. He's new to middle school and the area. On his second day of school, he was excited to get to class, excited to learn. He said it feels like a club where kids go to learn for fun and he feels like he belongs here. It made my heart sing.

Posted May 27, 2014

Excellent School! Great academic, athletic, and extra curricular offerings all within a God centered atmosphere!

Posted May 11, 2014

Educational equal to any school in D.C., but with Christian values integrated in every aspect of school life! ICS has impressed me by the way in which the faculty and staff incorporate a Christian worldview into every aspect of learning. Administrator Steve Danish is particularly gifted. ICS has been an incredibly supportive environment for not only my children, but our whole family. We have grown in our faith as a result. The academics are outstanding, parents are involved, faculty and staff are caring. Relative to other private schools, and relative to the quality of education provided, ICS tuition is a bargain! As a military family we move a lot. ICS immediately made my children feel welcome and they quickly assimilated into the school. We never worry about what is being taught in the classroom, either, as it is always consistent with what our children are taught at home and in church.

Posted May 8, 2014

I was transferring my girls from a school that had divided their students between A/B students and C/below. This school was consistently putting my girls in lower reading classes than they tested for. The school did not teach science in 4th grade because it was not a part of the SOL test that year and in 5th grade they were only given old SOL tests as work. Teachers were teaching for a test and not teaching for the children to actually learn the subject. After no help from the principle or Fairfax School Board we joined Immanuel. The academics are challenging the comradeship is heartwarming. My older daughter who had a hard time warming up to the school not only likes it now but does not want return to public school even though her workload has increased significantly. The single best thing about Immanuel is that God is woven through the lessons of the day. My younger daughter s prayers have matured in thought and scope. As for my older daughter that I was so worried about, wondering if I made the right decision, was made clear to me. My mom came to visit and told me she noticed an inner peace in her granddaughter now. Thank you God. -Denise Burgos

Posted April 28, 2014

Immanuel Christian School provided my daughter with a well rounded education with a world Christian view. Upon graduation she was well prepared for high school. The school also emphasizes community service and a compassionate attitude for others. ICS also has a before and afterschool program for those students with working parents. I would strongly recommend this school to others.

Posted April 24, 2014

Choosing an alternative to public schools here in NOVA can be a challenge because there are so many to choose from. For our family, the fact that ICS was a Christian school was of premier importance to my husband and me. The curriculum at ICS is taught through the filter of God's word-so even though there are specific Bible classes taught, kids learn in English, Math Science and other classes that God is involved in ALL aspects of their life. But there are so many other reasons to consider ICS as a school option. Early on, we were impressed that teachers identified areas where my children struggled and were able to provide support and encouragement to my children AND my husband and me. They didn't just let our children coast. As our children grew, many of their teachers also identified areas where my children needed to push themselves because they knew my kids were capable of doing more. I loved being able to participate in the life of the school in so many ways. The school welcomes parent involvement. I felt like the ICS staff and I were a team working to educate my children and they were well-prepared to enter high school when they walked out the doors of ICS for the last time.

Posted April 16, 2014

Our family loves this school and church! The teachers are godly, caring and accessible. The environment is safe, clean and well-maintained. The location is convenient to both the 395 and 495. As a military family, we move a lot, so our daughter started at ICS during the middle of her kindergarten year. She felt accepted by the kids right away and made friends easily. She loved her teachers and teaching assistants. Now that she is finishing her first grade year, I wish we didn't have to move this summer! She has mentioned several times how she wishes she could stay and go through 8th grade here. We wish that, too, but God has something else in mind for us. Before moving to the area we didn't realize how fast-paced and academically stressful Northern Virginia can be. Even though ICS challenges their students in all areas (I can't believe how much my daughter has learned in 1st grade, including being able to run a mile and do desktop publishing!), the students' spiritual development is deemed most important. Our family would recommend ICS wholeheartedly!

Posted March 25, 2014

The minute my husband and I walked in the doors at Immanuel Christian, we knew it was an answer to prayer. Every person that we came in contact with was so kind and we could immediately feel God's presence as we walked through the halls. We continue to be thankful daily for having found this school. As we watch what our daughter has learned academically, spiritually and socially this year at ICS, our decision to send her is continually affirmed. We couldn't have asked for a better quality team of teachers and feel so incredibly blessed that our daughter gets instruction from them. It's comforting to know that although we've laid a strong foundation for our child, Immanuel Christian can come alongside and provide an education as if it's an extension of our home. We look forward what the coming years will bring for our daughter at ICS and can't wait to send our other children!

Posted March 18, 2014

We are not really satisfy with the school. Poor quality of teachers and instructions. They are only nice to first comers.

Posted December 6, 2013

Immanuel Christian School is a safe, nurturing environment that attends to developing the whole child - socially, academically, physically and spiritually. Parents and teachers cooperate to address any concerns in healthy ways. This school really understands that each child is created uniquely and encourages students to recognize and embrace the gifts they have been given while also growing in areas that are more challenging for the student. A strong focus on knowing and loving God helps students learn how to love and serve their peers, their community and the world.

Posted June 5, 2013

I have two children. One, a recent graduate of UVA, and another has been a student for 6 years. There are other private schools closer to our home however, we chose this school again due to the well rounded and challenging curriculum, in partnership with the nurturing christian environment. Teachers at ICS really care and our sons have grown spiritually, not just academically. This school will stretch your child, providing advanced curriculum for students who are excelling, yet also offers programs for those students in need and struggling. Music, Art, Spanish, PE, Computer Lab, and Bible are all part of the core curriculum. The facilities are beautiful, wonderful playground and athletic fields, and many of the faculty have long term tenure. Parents are fortunate to have many opportunities to be involved within the school and the child's classroom. We have been on field trips, attended class parties, listened to bible verses and shared coffee with the Principal. If you are looking for a solid foundation for your child, then tour the school and talk to other parents to see why families (such as ours) keep returning and investing in their children's lives at this school.

Posted May 17, 2013

The transformation in our son since beginning at ICS astounds me. He now has an enthusiasm for learning and a desire to complete assignments with excellence. Neither was present before coming to ICS. Educational rigor in tandem with the nurturing atmosphere has unleashed in him a love for school. I am so grateful. My husband and I are delighted with the curriculum. Our priority was to find a school strong in Science and Language Arts. ICS has both. Our son is one of those kids who is relentless in asking questions. How grateful I am that we found ICS where students are encouraged to ask penetrating questions not only about their various school subjects but also about life. I love the way the school welcomes parent participation. We are so impressed we have enrolled our daughter; a rising 1st grader for next year. THANK YOU to the teachers, staff, and leadership for creating a superior learning environmnet in the D.C. area.

Posted May 9, 2013

Wonderful Christian learning environment for our 3 kids! It is a blessing to put our kids in the hands of those who will give them a great education, spiritual foundation and discipline in a loving atmosphere that reinforces our Christian faith and values. The academics are challenging and our oldest went on to high school well prepared. ICS has blessed our whole family!

Posted April 30, 2013

God is clearly present at Immanuel Christian School. Warm, nurturing, encouraging. You get it all at ICS: the very best education for the mind, and the heart as well. I have experienced an amazing partnership with ICS--my daughter is thriving! I HIGHLY recommend ICS to anyone I come in contact with, especially those looking for more for their child. One of the best kept secrets in the Washington DC area... actually, not so much anymore as word is getting out. I hear there is a waitlist for some grades.

Posted February 28, 2013

Keep Looking - Lacks Spirit and Truth The Administrator worked at a prominent Christian university . (Romans 2:11). HIS leadership focuses on personal rights. (code word for certain political parties). HIS scripture is delivered in a rote way to preclude revelation. For ex. Each third grade child in a class recited a bonus versus directly to HIM. (Roman 10:9-10, John 10:10). Behind closed doors if you every disagree with HIM, It is HIS personal right to exclude / discriminate for . . . [any reason] Fill in the brackets by rote. Staff, in HIS service, believe that it is okay to exclude their reasonable service. (Matthew 15:14). They fail to apply Biblically based correction: a child s fight in after care, Am I my brother s keeper? , a childish disagreement about returned work folders, Let s be careful stewards! They are VERY good at (self) appreciation days (Luke 14:8) It is easy enough to tolerate the petty legalistic disagreements (Romans 15:1). If you have truly taken up your cross, you will be unequally yoked at this school (Ephesians 6:14). There s only one PRINCIPAL (Revelation 5) . . . and Yeshua has principles. (Matthew 5). March on . . .

Posted April 28, 2012

Immanuel Christian School has been a wonderful school for my son. He has been there two years and loves it. The teachers are professional and caring. They strive to teach to all kids. The kids get a good balance of the core academics as well as PE, music, Art, Spanish, computer lab, etc. they have separate teachers for these as they do in the public school. The students get everything and more offered in the Fairfax County public schools. The difference is smaller class size and a Christian environment. They also learn about the Bible and memorize verses. The facility is very nice. I feel great knowing my son is in such a quality school. Check it out and give this place serious consideration. I can't imagiine anyone regretting the choice of this school for their child.

Posted August 17, 2011

Quality Christian education with a strong emphasis on technology, classroom interaction, and computer integration. A very good choice for families in Northern VA.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 26, 2010

Excellent school! We have two children at Immanuel Christian School. They love going to school, love the teachers, and love the friends they have made. The parents are involved with the school, and help with field trips, special programs at school, and with community involvement. I love this school's character in action program! My children are getting a very well rounded education. I wish they had a high school!!

Posted April 25, 2009

All of my children have had a great year at ICS. The teachers are very caring and professional. It is academically exceptional without overtaxing the students. My children are getting a quality education in a Christian setting. Wonderful!

Posted April 23, 2007

Immanuel is a strong Christian school with a great sports program and solid curriculum. Math, english, and history/bible are good, and the school is working to improve science and extra activities. In the next 1.5 years the school is going under a complete renovation to make classrooms technologically advanced, and up to par with others in the county. They're adding floors over single story ares of the school and redoing the gym. Overall the school could use some work, but they are headed in the right direction. Starting your child at this school in the next few years would be a good idea if you are looking for a fresh campus, Christian fellowship, and a strong core curriculum.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Stephen Danish
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Hybrid
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Retirement Communities

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Dance club: grace
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • 20 hour parent service requirement
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor