Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted February 12, 2016
My kids still know their Braddock teacher names and would recognize them on site. Middle school and HS teachers, not so much.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 12, 2016
My kids got about 20 minutes of homework per day, not all of it straight academic. They enjoyed it and one of my daughters complained when she didn't get some. Now at Annandale HS, she gets something ridiculous like 4 hours, with every teacher thinking *their* homework is the most important. She puts in more hours than I do, These are kids. Schools should let up a bit and give the kids a chance to enjoy their childhood. But Braddock got it just right.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted February 12, 2016
Both my kids started Orchestra there in the 4th grade. They are still in Orchestra at the highest levels in FFC.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted February 12, 2016
When both my kids looked forward to going to school and getting homework, I know the school was doing something right.

Braddock Elementary School 4

Posted February 12, 2016
Both of my kids went there for all of their entire elementary years. All of the teachers were great, and both are now in Honors/IB courses. My youngest graduated 3 years ago. The only reason I gave it a 4 is because of the horrible traffic, something that every Fairfax County school has. Perhaps if FFC staggered arrival and departure times a bit and allowed more flexibility for parents, it wouldn't be so bad.

Braddock Elementary School 5

Posted December 09, 2015
The new Principal Jackson-Muir is fantastic and really cares about the kids and encourages everyone to participate within the school: parents, grandparents, etc. She has ensured that kids with allergies are protected by informing parents and teachers that children with allergies are in their classrooms. They also have a special nut-free table in the cafeteria or a kid can eat lunch with a few friends in the library if the allergy is severe. I really appreciate Principal Jackson-Muir and the wonderful teachers involved in my child's life.

Braddock Elementary School 5

Posted December 02, 2015
There has been a big Shake-Up at Braddock Elementary School in the past year or two. I will admit that based on previous school ratings (test-scores) and limited opinions online, I was nervous to enroll my children. However, I did enroll my children and have had nothing but a positive experience. School ratings are such a double-edged sword- there is just so much that can't be condensed down to a single number- for example: the types of teachers that elect to work in Title One schools, the support that FCPS (in terms of programs and funding) grants to lower income schools as well as the compassion and world view that children learn when diversity surrounds them daily. Braddock Elem. has an amazing staff and hallways full of amazing students.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 02, 2015
The Principal at Braddock is new (in her 2-3nd full year). She has been met with all the adversity of a title 1 program but has made dramatic and significant change within a school that really seemed to need it. I appreciate all that Principal Jackson-Muir has done, not only within her staff and it's approach to the children and our community, but also in how she has embraced the parents and made us feel a part of this school. I am proud of Braddock Elementary and all that it has given my children so far!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 02, 2015
I have been blown away by the teachers my children have had at Braddock. My children have been constantly challenged (above grade level) which i feel really speaks to the unique ability of a great staff to recognize and foster growth outside of a standard format. Stellar Staff!

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 02, 2015
Having children who have only attended this one school, I don't know the industry standard within FCPS. But I feel the homework is just right. 20 min of reading for a first grader (30 for 2nd grade) and a simple worksheet to reinforce skills per night seems to be a good amount to keep the kids honest and the skills sharp.

7825 Heritage Dr, Annandale, VA  22003
Last modified Braddock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.