Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My kids still know their Braddock teacher names and would recognize them on site. Middle school and HS teachers, not so much.

Amount of homework: Agree

My kids got about 20 minutes of homework per day, not all of it straight academic. They enjoyed it and one of my daughters complained when she didn't get some. Now at Annandale HS, she gets something ridiculous like 4 hours, with every teacher thinking *their* homework is the most important. She puts in more hours than I do, These are kids. Schools should let up a bit and give the kids a chance to enjoy their childhood. But Braddock got it just right.

Both of my kids went there for all of their entire elementary years. All of the teachers were great, and both are now in Honors/IB courses. My youngest graduated 3 years ago. The only reason I gave it a 4 is because of the horrible traffic, something that every Fairfax County school has. Perhaps if FFC staggered arrival and departure times a bit and allowed more flexibility for parents, it wouldn't be so bad.

The new Principal Jackson-Muir is fantastic and really cares about the kids and encourages everyone to participate within the school: parents, grandparents, etc. She has ensured that kids with allergies are protected by informing parents and teachers that children with allergies are in their classrooms. They also have a special nut-free table in the cafeteria or a kid can eat lunch with a few friends in the library if the allergy is severe. I really appreciate Principal Jackson-Muir and the wonderful teachers involved in my child's life.

There has been a big Shake-Up at Braddock Elementary School in the past year or two. I will admit that based on previous school ratings (test-scores) and limited opinions online, I was nervous to enroll my children. However, I did enroll my children and have had nothing but a positive experience. School ratings are such a double-edged sword- there is just so much that can't be condensed down to a single number- for example: the types of teachers that elect to work in Title One schools, the support that FCPS (in terms of programs and funding) grants to lower income schools as well as the compassion and world view that children learn when diversity surrounds them daily. Braddock Elem. has an amazing staff and hallways full of amazing students.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I have been blown away by the teachers my children have had at Braddock. My children have been constantly challenged (above grade level) which i feel really speaks to the unique ability of a great staff to recognize and foster growth outside of a standard format. Stellar Staff!

Amount of homework: Agree

Having children who have only attended this one school, I don't know the industry standard within FCPS. But I feel the homework is just right. 20 min of reading for a first grader (30 for 2nd grade) and a simple worksheet to reinforce skills per night seems to be a good amount to keep the kids honest and the skills sharp.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Braddock consistently reinforces honesty and integrity by positively rewarding students for telling the truth, and turning in found property/money and recognizes students publicly within the school for modeling these traits.

The former principal, Cynthia Botzin, retired in school year 2013-14. In school year 2014-15, a new principal arrived. At the end of school year 2014-15, 43 teachers left Braddock Elementary. Parents should ask why so many teachers left the school.

If I was able to rate this school a 0, I would. Today I went to go pick up my 1st grader and all the parents had to wait in a line. One for 1st & 2nd grade and the other line for 3rd-5th grade. I was the first one to get to the line and a women with her baby was the second to get behind me. It was a very hot day and we had been waiting to get our kids for 40 minutes. The school tells us to get there no later then 3:20 but they don't give us our kids until 3:40 ( and that was only today cause yesterday I didn't get my girl until 4). When the time came for us to get our kids, they tell the lady with her baby (which had moved to the side of the building for shade) that she couldn't get her kid cause she was out of line. When I heard that, I got extremely upset. First because she was being rude and second of all cause she didn't even let the lady explain. So I spoke up and tell her that she's been waiting here for 40 minutes for you people to open the doors which it's actually pretty sad. I tell her that she had moved to the side for shade because you had us waiting out here in this heat for a extreme amount of time. She didn't care at all and made the lady and baby move all the way to the back of the line. Meanwhile she was talking rudely to all the parents, there was another stuff member screaming at the children inside, which by the looks of it was not needed. Its a terrible school with terrible staff. I was not pleased at how rudely the staff are to the parents as well to the children.

Last modified Braddock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.