Arlington, VA

Posted April 24, 2015
My child attended Jamestown from K-5. I can't say enough great things about the school. We had remarkable teachers, some were truly life-changing. We would have paid private school tuition for the experience we received at Jamestown.

Posted February 11, 2015
To Jan. 16 I have had children at Jamestown for 5 years and have never seen a television in the lunchroom. I think you may be putting too much stock in what your 5-year-old is telling you. Jamestown offers: -- FLES. Spanish language education from K. -- Annual school play. A lot of work is put into this, and the production has become a community event. Kids from all grades are involved, from art/performance/marketing/backstage perspectives. -- Award-winning music program. The chorus wins top ratings every ear, and the band for fourth- and fifth-graders is excellent, too. The Orff Ensemble is magnificent to listen to. -- Tech focus. Kids integrate technology seamlessly. My second-grader wrote a book on a school-issued iPad. -- Reliably consistent performance -- Governor's Award of Excellence, awards from Apple computers. -- Kids still play TAG on the playground. There is a Halloween parade every year with COSTUMES. None of the Draconian restrictions that seem to have afflicted other schools. -- Caring and effective teachers. I often see them at evening events, supporting students in choir performances, the play, etc.

Jamestown Elementary School 1

Posted January 16, 2015
This school is extremely overrated. My son is in kindergarten - they watch movies at school during lunch! Isn't that a time to socialize? I volunteer a lot and some kids are not supported in the way they need to be - it causes a disturbance to everyone in the class.

Posted June 10, 2014
The teachers at Jamestown are amazing. They go above and beyond and the quality is beyond my expectations. We carefully selected Jamestown when we were buying our home and are so glad we did. There could be more focus on science since the kids are really hungry for more science, though the curriculum is otherwise impressive.

Jamestown Elementary School 4

Posted May 18, 2014
I went to Jamestown for 6 years and it was overall a good experience. The teachers were nice, though prone to changing every few years, so I doubt very many of the teachers I had are still there. I remember Responsive Classroom in a negative light, mostly because I felt patronized by many of the activities we had to do, mostly the morning meeting, and the "we are one in the center" reappropriated Christian hymn we had to sing about love and friendship. I don't know if they still do that. I hope they don't, because I feel like I get dumber just thinking about it. The other problem was the insane clique culture. Bullying happened all the time, and the counselor was awful about addressing it. No matter how many times we talked about what Kelso the frog would say if he was being bullied, it happened, and there were maybe three kids in my grade who weren't seriously bullied at one point by promotion. Despite these things, though, Jamestown did an excellent job preparing me for middle and later high school. My Jamestown friendships are still my strongest, and I've noticed that kids I went to Jamestown with seem to do better in school than Taylor or Tuckahoe kids.

Posted January 20, 2014
I have a 1st grader at Jamestown and have been very impressed by faculty, leadership and PTA at Jamestown. The school itself has a great feel to it. The halls are always decorated with the kids art work, projects and up and coming events. The education includes, Art, Spanish, P.E. and music; all taught by teachers trained in these areas, so separate from their normal teacher. Jamestown is a technology focused school and has two impressive computer labs, in-class I-pads, and smart boards. Their is also an outdoor learning classroom that teachers use to plant gardens with the kids and teach lessons outside when weather is accommodating. I am very impressed by the teachers that my child had/has and I know my child LOVES going to school. The only two negatives about the school I have are not controlled by the actual school which is lack of diversity and there is only one recess.

Posted May 17, 2013
Jamestown is a very very good school. Of course there can always be improvements such as more focus on math and science; however, the teachers, administration and parents are excellent. Of course there are some kids who misbehave, but the vast majority are nice and work hard in school. The teachers are all very nice and work hard. The communication with parents is good. The administration is very easy to contact. I think generally there could be even more opportunities for extra academic enrichment and more focus on math and science. Overall great school.

Posted January 16, 2013
I love this school! I was a teacher at Jamestown for 4 years. I left Jamestown to be a stay at home mom. I would happily return to this school. I felt compelled to write because so often only naysayers post to sites like these. First, Responsive Classroom is a fantastic model for building the community. I was at this school prior to implementing Responsive Classroom and have seen it work wonders in the classroom and in the school community. The idea for Responsive Classroom came from a teacher and was supported by the staff. Second, the current principal is top notch. She was always reasonable with me. The principal helped me improve my craft by challenging my thoughts and ideas and for that I am grateful. With regards to the parents at the school, they are smart, active in the community, and want what is best for their children. As a teacher, this is a dream come true. The teachers at this school care about the work they do. They collaborate with one another to enhance instruction. They work before and after school. Finally, teachers show up at extracurricular activities to show support for their students. This is what community is all about.This is why I love Jamestown.

Jamestown Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2013
My son has attended several schools, because we are a military family. This is the worst school experience he (and we, his parents) have ever had. We moved him to a private Catholic school after a very bad year of bullying in Mrs. Hansen's class. My son was repeatedly hit and kicked and verbally abused by two boys in his class. They made sure the teachers did not see them. Mrs. Hansen's response was, "did you ask them to stop?" And that's as far as she ever went. We spoke with the parents of the boys, his teacher, the school counselor, and although the adults said they were concerned, and spoke to the boys responsible for the bullying, speaking to them did not change anything, and we decided to get our son out of that toxic environment. The school has a slogan that states: "Jamestown CARES"--Our experience was that the teachers and administrators do not really care to get involved in protecting kids against bullying.

Jamestown Elementary School 3

Posted December 13, 2012
I have three children at Jamestown, and the experience is...variable. When the homeroom teacher is good, then it is generally a fine, if not spectacular, environment. There is definitely more talk of "excellence" that actually behaving in a way that indicates an openness to continual improvement (which would possibly lead to actual "excellence" rather than smug institutional self-satisfaction.) The vibe is alarmingly bureaucratic for a neighborhood school for young children. Jamestown has a reputation for being a far better school than it has been, in our experience. I wish it would change.

Jamestown Elementary School
3700 N Delaware St, Arlington, VA  22207
Last modified Jamestown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jamestown Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top