Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My son attended K here and will start 1st grade soon. Overall I think this school is very good. His teachers have been great and caring. Living in the area has its benefits as they've taken several trips into DC to visit monuments and museums. He's told me on several occasions that "I love going to school!" and I don't doubt it. The things that I'm not overly enthused about is all the smart board and tech time they have, only because he's already so exposed to that at home as many kids are now a days. They do use it for education and learning and really not that much different than the old transparencies that I grew up with. We did have an incident with a child earlier in the year who was a little too aggressive and also some who were not the best influence on him but that I also assume is something everyone needs to learn to deal with through the course of their educational lives. It's been a positive experience and we're hopeful that 1st grade will match our expectations.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The classes are way too big with special need kids who need more attention so the teachers are seriously class managers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

When my daughter was in first grade, she got a lot of homework. At that age, the kids should be learning socially. Instead the teachers just prepare them for accessments.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The principal is awful - she fell asleep at one of my friends iep meeting. We pulled out daughter out due to bullying. One classmate bite my daughter - clearly this boy needs to be in mipa. We pulled our daughter out and she's so much happier, however the private school was concerned about her academic standing. The teachers to focus on the SOLs.

Bullying happens a lot here. The staff says that they are on top of things but when your kid comes home crying every day, telling the teacher and going to the counselor and nothing is done - that's outrageous! I talked to the principal and nothing was done. The class sizes are way too big so the teachers do they best they can but there are too many kids.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

To Feb 11, the TV was in the kindergarten class and it was put on a lot while I was in the room - once being on halloween when the kids had to change into the customs. The parade is nothing to brag about. In regards to iPads, kids get too much screen time as it is so why is the school adding to the kids screen time? For budget cuts they should be cutting iPads, where most kids have access to them at home, then other areas. As for the FLES program, its great to expose the kids to a 2nd language, but where the system fails is when your kid goes to middle school can can't continue the language. My neighbor was too advanced when she went to Williamsburg and taking spanish there was a waste of time.

This school is AWFUL!. The classes are so overpopulated that the teachers just try to prevent chaos. The students that need extra support, or need to be in MIPA, aren't and as a result there were 4 kids in my sons class that were disruptions. One would constantly sharpen a pencil with an electric pencil sharpener, another was always quarantined, and the other two were running around wild. One of the kids asked to go the bathroom and was denied. He spent the rest of the day in soiled pants and the school told the mom that they did not know. Move to another county or go private.

My child attended Jamestown from K-5. I can't say enough great things about the school. We had remarkable teachers, some were truly life-changing. We would have paid private school tuition for the experience we received at Jamestown.

To Jan. 16 I have had children at Jamestown for 5 years and have never seen a television in the lunchroom. I think you may be putting too much stock in what your 5-year-old is telling you. Jamestown offers: -- FLES. Spanish language education from K. -- Annual school play. A lot of work is put into this, and the production has become a community event. Kids from all grades are involved, from art/performance/marketing/backstage perspectives. -- Award-winning music program. The chorus wins top ratings every ear, and the band for fourth- and fifth-graders is excellent, too. The Orff Ensemble is magnificent to listen to. -- Tech focus. Kids integrate technology seamlessly. My second-grader wrote a book on a school-issued iPad. -- Reliably consistent performance -- Governor's Award of Excellence, awards from Apple computers. -- Kids still play TAG on the playground. There is a Halloween parade every year with COSTUMES. None of the Draconian restrictions that seem to have afflicted other schools. -- Caring and effective teachers. I often see them at evening events, supporting students in choir performances, the play, etc.

This school is extremely overrated. My son is in kindergarten - they watch movies at school during lunch! Isn't that a time to socialize? I volunteer a lot and some kids are not supported in the way they need to be - it causes a disturbance to everyone in the class.

Last modified Jamestown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.