Arlington, VA
Before care: Yes

Oakridge Elementary School 3

Posted August 27, 2014
Well, my kids transferred from another Arlington County Public elementary school within the last year. Unlike the other school that embraced us from day 1 until the time we left and afterwards for some administrative issues (to include the principal and VP), we unfortunately have had just the opposite experience here. We're hoping this gets better this year.

Posted August 15, 2014
Such a breath of fresh air, diversity of staff and students in Arlington is tough to come by, Oakridge is by far the best school we have been involoved with. While there are one or two "top of the ridge" parents who are upset about not recieving special treatment from the principal, from our perspective they were just upset that all the "poor" kids went to "their" school, even telling some that their children should have been forced to attend other schools. Other than that the community as a whole has embraced us from the start. The PTA always puts on great family friendly events that are well attended by staff.

Posted August 10, 2014
LOVE, love, love Oakridge Elementary. Our kids are not only learning they are having fun with so many after school activities and good field trips. We're lucky since we have neighbors who walk their kids to schools so ours sometimes join them. Summer school/camp is also offered. The school is in a quiet neighborhood. Teachers have been spectacular (Ms. Burgin, Ms. Guevara, Ms. Dickerson, Ms. Flannigan and her assistant Ms. Bayne): you can tell they love being there. Ms. Burgin has a goldfish that my son's class got to watch grow up. The annual Science Fair is awesome. Always enjoy the friendly welcome from the Principal, Ms. Wright at every event. The annual "Oakridge Spring Fling" is also a blast. Academics are good - there are a lot of activities, parks and libraries around Arlington as well to keep kids occupied.

Posted August 08, 2014
This is a great neighborhood school. Both of our kids have had fantastic teachers who are involved and responsive. There are good after-school activities, the neighborhood is safe (our kids walk to school or take the bus as we're about a mile away) and the school is nicely tucked in the neighborhood away from the main roads. We were new to this area, absolutely love our neighbors, and like being close to the school, library, and many parks including the new Long Bridge Park! Our kids are thriving here.

Oakridge Elementary School 3

Posted May 28, 2014
Parental involvement and Teachers are great. Principal is awful...Dr. Wright divides and conquers both staff and parents. Vice-Principal just resigned due to disagreement (cover story is for illness). Some parents fear retribution on their children and will not confront her; many teachers feel the same way. Dr. Wright would best serve Oakridge by leaving it.

Posted May 06, 2014
Amazing school in S. Arlington. My son has been here for 4 years. Every teacher he's had has been engaged, positive, and communicates regularly with us about his progress. From the principal to the teachers and staff to the parents and kids - this is a wonderful, safe neighborhood school with an active PTA, teachers who like their jobs, and kids who walk and bus to school together. Love it

Oakridge Elementary School 1

Posted February 21, 2014
I would not recommend this school, for the administration there. The teachers, if you get a great one, are amazing and they do seem to really care about the kids and try their best within the constraints placed on them by the admin and the county/state. I've seen poorer district schools run better than this school. There is no running allowed in PE, only skipping, fast walking or galloping. There are NO school celebrations allowed- because of a few exuberant parents and an overreacting principal, which they tried to claim was related to food allergies(but wasn't), which was made worse by the lack of clear and concise communication from the school. If you are new to the neighborhood, forget about fitting in-the PTA won't help you, nor will your neighbors. There is an obvious snob factor involved between those who have lived here their entire lives and those who haven't. A parent was ripped to shreds at a school meeting last night because she bravely disagreed with the party line. There are much better run schools in Arlington. Choose wisely.

Posted October 29, 2013
My twin daughters are in kindergarten with Ms. Garcia and Ms. Walker. I loved that we were able to decide whether my kids were in the same class. We opted to separate them. While this made the transition harder for my girls, their respective teachers were SO supportive. Both kids love their respective teachers and it's clear that their experiences at school have faciltated their emotional and intellectual growth. I feel fortunate to have had such a positive initial experience.

Posted October 21, 2013
My son in Kindergarten and this is his first year in public school, we had our fist PT meet and we are pleased with the support my son is getting from Mr. McConnell. He and Ms. Bayne are very much liked by my son and developed great understanding skills in the first quarter. He is able to develop great interest towards reading and enjoying his school.

Posted September 30, 2013
This is my third year teaching at Oakridge. I am a veteran teacher who has taught at 5 other schools across the country. I am very happy to be working with such fabulous staff and students at Oakridge. The teachers and administration are dedicated to high expectations and achievement for all students. Students come from many different backgrounds and are engaged in learning every day at Oakridge.

Oakridge Elementary School
1414 24th St S, Arlington, VA  22202
Last modified Oakridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakridge Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top