Bad
Good

My two daughters have been attending this school going on three years now, and while the teachers have been great, I cannot say the same for the administration. During the first three months my youngest daughter had a difficult time in kindergarten, not because of adjustment to school, it was because she was being bullied. On four separate occasions within the first three months of school my daughter had an object thrown at her which caused a scratch on her face, she was slapped in the face by the straps on the other student's backpack, pushed which made her fall over and most horrifically; the other student stood behind her and chocked her with his arms. The teacher sent the child to the principle's office and when I confronted the staff I was not told any disciplinary actions that would happen to the boy. Instead it was determined that my daughter had to move her table in class and there would be extra supervision on the other boy while at school. The Principle even suggest I move my daughter from the class. She is out of touch, in my opinion under qualified to deal bullying situations. While the rest of the school year did improve for my daughter, after I taught her to defend herself and with countless meetings with the teacher to ensure my daughter was in a positive school environment, I truly felt the principle was not as attentive to such severe issues in her school. My daughter was not the only child in that class to be bullied by the same child, and throughout the year the teacher's aid had to hold this boys hand and stand next to him at all times keeping an extra eye on him. Sad, that additional measures were not taken to ensure all children were safe and comfortable in a school environment. However, the teachers are great, I jsut wish the administration would have acted much differently in a the case with my daughter being bullied.

This school is in Arlington County, which means it has a ton of money being poured into it and it has a stellar reputation. You'd think this school would be incredible. It's far from it. I had my child there for 3 years while living in Arlington and I couldn't be more disappointed in this place. The principal is a total joke, the teachers are lazy and can't grade your child's school work accurately (parents, get ready to add the job title "teacher" to your resume because the teachers here don't teach), and there is absolutely NO discipline in any way for the kids who are being mean/bullying. Like I stated above, the principal is a joke and literally does nothing to help your child succeed unless you're a millionaire and kissing up to her, like many of the moms do.

Oakridge is a great school, I have two children, one who went through Oakridge k-5 and is now in Middle school. She was very well prepared for the higher level math as well as juggling taking 7 classes. My younger child loves Oakridge and all her friends. Each year she starts the year wishing she could stick with her beloved teacher from the year before but a month or two in she has a new favorite teacher. Can't say enough good things about the teachers at the school. The PTA is active and contribute greatly to the school hosting many events and a big school carnival every year. With a fair number of military and diplomatic families moving in and out each year, there is terrific cultural diversity and a very welcoming environment.

We LOVE Oakridge. Its a great neighborhood school within a wonderful and supportive neighborhood. Our daughter is in Mrs. Madison's kindergarten class and we have been so impressed with the instruction and nurturing environment. The PTA is also great with really inviting activities throughout the year. Both our daughter and our family have felt very welcomed. We love that we can walk her to school and its fun seeing all the kids and parents as we walk back and forth each day.

Well, my kids transferred from another Arlington County Public elementary school within the last year. Unlike the other school that embraced us from day 1 until the time we left and afterwards for some administrative issues (to include the principal and VP), we unfortunately have had just the opposite experience here. We're hoping this gets better this year.

Such a breath of fresh air, diversity of staff and students in Arlington is tough to come by, Oakridge is by far the best school we have been involoved with. While there are one or two "top of the ridge" parents who are upset about not recieving special treatment from the principal, from our perspective they were just upset that all the "poor" kids went to "their" school, even telling some that their children should have been forced to attend other schools. Other than that the community as a whole has embraced us from the start. The PTA always puts on great family friendly events that are well attended by staff.

LOVE, love, love Oakridge Elementary. Our kids are not only learning they are having fun with so many after school activities and good field trips. We're lucky since we have neighbors who walk their kids to schools so ours sometimes join them. Summer school/camp is also offered. The school is in a quiet neighborhood. Teachers have been spectacular (Ms. Burgin, Ms. Guevara, Ms. Dickerson, Ms. Flannigan and her assistant Ms. Bayne): you can tell they love being there. Ms. Burgin has a goldfish that my son's class got to watch grow up. The annual Science Fair is awesome. Always enjoy the friendly welcome from the Principal, Ms. Wright at every event. The annual "Oakridge Spring Fling" is also a blast. Academics are good - there are a lot of activities, parks and libraries around Arlington as well to keep kids occupied.

This is a great neighborhood school. Both of our kids have had fantastic teachers who are involved and responsive. There are good after-school activities, the neighborhood is safe (our kids walk to school or take the bus as we're about a mile away) and the school is nicely tucked in the neighborhood away from the main roads. We were new to this area, absolutely love our neighbors, and like being close to the school, library, and many parks including the new Long Bridge Park! Our kids are thriving here.

Parental involvement and Teachers are great. Principal is awful...Dr. Wright divides and conquers both staff and parents. Vice-Principal just resigned due to disagreement (cover story is for illness). Some parents fear retribution on their children and will not confront her; many teachers feel the same way. Dr. Wright would best serve Oakridge by leaving it.

Amazing school in S. Arlington. My son has been here for 4 years. Every teacher he's had has been engaged, positive, and communicates regularly with us about his progress. From the principal to the teachers and staff to the parents and kids - this is a wonderful, safe neighborhood school with an active PTA, teachers who like their jobs, and kids who walk and bus to school together. Love it

Last modified Oakridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.