Posted June 08, 2014
Tuckahoe is over-crowded and this is a serious issue. I have two children -- one of whom was just ahead of the worst of the demographic bulge and another who was in the middle of the bulge. For my older child, Tuckahoe has been a very positive experience. She had experienced teachers -- though it hasn't always been sufficiently challenging for her. For my younger child, it was terrible and he now attends private school. He consistently got new and not fully experienced teachers because they were expanding the number of classes in his grade; had inadequate play space at recess; was stressed by the short length of lunch (a side effect of crowding); etc. My daughter had a five-star experience at Tuckahoe; my son a one-star as the district's inability to plan for demographic shifts has ended up costing us his neighborhood friendships and private school tuition. I will say the positive change in my son after pulling him from Tuckahoe and placing him a less crowded school showed me that it was about the over-crowded environment; not my son. He has thrived academically and socially at his new school. Tuckahoe needs to be less crowded -- full stop!

Posted April 21, 2014
My school is overcrowded. There are many people in each grade. It can make school stressful.

Tuckahoe Elementary School 1

Posted March 10, 2014
Tuckahoe is not all sunshine and flowers. There is bullying going unresolved, minimal classroom management in some classes, and weak academics. I would not recommend this school. There is wide spread concern that overcrowding is the root cause of some of these issues, but really I think it is poor teacher selection and retention.

Posted October 08, 2013
Parent involvement is strong. Many excellent teachers. Discovery Schoolyard, which used to be a proud centerpiece of the curriculum, is now sort of an afterthought -- maintained, parent and kid volunteers, but not what it used to be. Main problem with Tuckahoe right now is lack of decent leadership from the top. Think it's time for a new principal.

Posted December 23, 2011
I am a proud Tuckahoe student from many decades ago (1955-1961). My best, most meaningful school years were spent here, and I've stopped by the school to look at it periodically when I visit the DC area from North Carolina. My 2nd grade with Miss Fish (1956) was spent at Stewart Elementary School up the street and is now a park. I'm happy they made that school's granite name over the door into a monument. Other teachers of my era included Miss Sherwood (Mrs Stay), Mrs Snell and Mrs. Bozzo. The elementary school years are a very formative period of time for a student, and I am happy to see that Tuckahoe does such a great job of paying so much attention to its students. I am very proud to have been a Tuckahoe student.

Posted October 14, 2011
I love this school with all of my heart. We moved out here from Washington State. My middle son has Autism and I was REALLY worried about his transition to ANY school out there. I really wanted him to be at the same school with his brothers, which he has never been able to do before becasue he's always had to be in a self contained classroom. The staff, EVERYONE, from his Special Ed teachers to the Principal, the support staff and his regular ed teacher have bent over backwards to not only accomodate him, but make sure that he was happy and thriving. My other two boys (just a year older and two years younger) LOVE the school as well. The parents are very active in the school, the PTA is huge and there is a lot of support from the community. It seems like every week one of my kids is going on a field trip. Everything at this school seems to have been painstakingly thought out. From the drop off/pick up procedures, which, by the way, should be implemented across the country, from the technology they use in the classrooms, the parent/teacher nights etc. I cannot say enough great things about this fantastic school. I love it and EVERYONE I've met there with my entire heart.

Posted February 21, 2011
Everything about this school is great! At first I thought it was because we came from an inferior school (Clearview in Herndon) but realize that it is so much more than just being better academically. My children could not be more different academically and socially. They have both (as well as my third at Williamsburg) been accommodated for and treated with caring and respect. What impresses me most is that it is out of pure professionalism and not based on how much I participate or am friendly with the schools staff or parent cliques. I'm talking about real professional adults! It makes me want to participate just to be around these intelligent people! I guess this is the secret in making good schools great!!

Posted April 30, 2010
Tuckahoe Rocks because it develops a nurturing community amongst children and parents and offers superior teachers and education.

Posted April 29, 2010
I love Tuckahoe because my children love Tuckahoe! They have amazing teachers who open their eyes to the world each and every day.

Posted April 28, 2010
Tuckahoe has exceptional teachers and administrators as well as an award-winning 'Discovery Schoolyard' where math, science, and social studies comes to life. Tuckahoe kids also learn to care for the earth, respect one another, and keep active.

Tuckahoe Elementary School
6550 26th St N, Arlington, VA  22213
Last modified Tuckahoe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tuckahoe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top