Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Great school my kids have thrived here, academically speaking, over the past three years. The only thing stopping me from giving this school five stars is the lack of diversity both in the student body and the staff. I realize that it is a function of the Socio economic demographic that the school finds itself in, but I feel it is a gap nonetheless. The attempts I have seen at diversity are more academic and less experiential. I'd like to see the school do more, perhaps with out-reach programs to neighboring schools.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Our daughter is learning a speak Spanish and has genuinely surprised us with her progress. Her home room kindergarten teacher couldn't be more lovely if she tried and is so sweet with every child in the class.

Amount of homework: Agree

Minimal homework for Kindergarten, encouraged 15 minuets of reading a night and one book report a week.

This is our first year at Tuckahoe and we couldn't be happier. My daughter loves her teacher, who is incredibly dedicated and approachable . There is a sense of strong leadership from the principle, and a wonderfully involved PTA. I was concerned after reading some of the negative reviews, but we have had an outstanding experience so far.

This has been a great place for my kids. I know the principal is retiring. Found the assistant principal to be down to earth and approachable. Hoping he'll stay on.

Tuckahoe is over-crowded and this is a serious issue. I have two children -- one of whom was just ahead of the worst of the demographic bulge and another who was in the middle of the bulge. For my older child, Tuckahoe has been a very positive experience. She had experienced teachers -- though it hasn't always been sufficiently challenging for her. For my younger child, it was terrible and he now attends private school. He consistently got new and not fully experienced teachers because they were expanding the number of classes in his grade; had inadequate play space at recess; was stressed by the short length of lunch (a side effect of crowding); etc. My daughter had a five-star experience at Tuckahoe; my son a one-star as the district's inability to plan for demographic shifts has ended up costing us his neighborhood friendships and private school tuition. I will say the positive change in my son after pulling him from Tuckahoe and placing him a less crowded school showed me that it was about the over-crowded environment; not my son. He has thrived academically and socially at his new school. Tuckahoe needs to be less crowded -- full stop!

My school is overcrowded. There are many people in each grade. It can make school stressful.

Tuckahoe is not all sunshine and flowers. There is bullying going unresolved, minimal classroom management in some classes, and weak academics. I would not recommend this school. There is wide spread concern that overcrowding is the root cause of some of these issues, but really I think it is poor teacher selection and retention.

Parent involvement is strong. Many excellent teachers. Discovery Schoolyard, which used to be a proud centerpiece of the curriculum, is now sort of an afterthought -- maintained, parent and kid volunteers, but not what it used to be. Main problem with Tuckahoe right now is lack of decent leadership from the top. Think it's time for a new principal.

I am a proud Tuckahoe student from many decades ago (1955-1961). My best, most meaningful school years were spent here, and I've stopped by the school to look at it periodically when I visit the DC area from North Carolina. My 2nd grade with Miss Fish (1956) was spent at Stewart Elementary School up the street and is now a park. I'm happy they made that school's granite name over the door into a monument. Other teachers of my era included Miss Sherwood (Mrs Stay), Mrs Snell and Mrs. Bozzo. The elementary school years are a very formative period of time for a student, and I am happy to see that Tuckahoe does such a great job of paying so much attention to its students. I am very proud to have been a Tuckahoe student.

Last modified Tuckahoe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.