Arlington, VA
Students enrolled: 1,622

Posted February 13, 2015
This is a horrible school. I am surprised it gets 4 stars here. After two years, we finally had our son transferred. I knew the school had poor reputation, but I used to think how bad can it be? New, fancy building, AP classes... I was wrong. It is worse than one can imagine. A teacher tells the class that they are free to do anything they want, because they are losers anyway, and 'works' on his computer. School principal is one big disappointment. I wish I took serious bad reviews from the very beginning. My piece of advise to parents - If you love your kid, stay away from Wakefield High School.

Wakefield High School 4

Posted January 18, 2015
we just moved here from NC . beautiful high school . newly renovated. good teachers . smart board in each classroom. very happy with academic program . son is in advanced classes. very friendly

Posted October 02, 2014
This is a wonderful school. There are many cultural and economical differences in the school, so that the children see the reflection of America as it is. Opportunities abound for students to choose career paths and college level course work. Arlington is lucky to have it.

Posted September 03, 2014
After tutoring a student at this school observed that his English skills and math skills were below average from 9-12. It was amazing how his teachers kept pushing him through with "A" grades.

Wakefield High School 2

Posted January 14, 2014
My child has had an IEP since the seventh grade. After years of watching him struggle and trying to desparately to effectively collaborate with teachers and staff I came to the conclusion that the IEP was not worth the paper it was printed on and didn't provide any benefit to my son. While my experience was primarily limited to Wakefield the actual problem was with the Arlington Public School (APS) Special Education process. The particularly areas of weakness are Implmentation, teacher accountability, data collection and analysis strategy (undefined and poorly executed), progress monitoring, and progress tracking. The lack of defined process and procedures made it overly easy for the teachers and staff to be non-responsive and insensitive to the needs of the student, my child. My son is graduating this year. In restrospect I think that I did him a disservice and injustice by allowing him to be labeled as a Student With a Disability or Special Needs student.

Posted September 06, 2013
I am a recent student and am now a certified teacher. There is such a character to the school. Very little bullying incidents, very few problems with "clicks," the popular kids earn it b/c they're friendly with everyone. It is a great place for any student to grow up-if you want your student to have a happy high school experience-Wakefield is perfect. This is the BEST part of the school and it is so often ignored. Alumni genuinely look back and smile at their high school experience here. I have many friends from other schools who hated their high school. Yes, we have students who just don't do the work for a number of reasons (what school doesn't?) -but if your student can/does- there is no need to worry! They will excel! If your student doesn't do work- it probably won't matter what school they go to but WHS teachers will work with them. They have absolutely some of the BEST teachers. And the teachers are proud to work there and most of them have been there for years. An outstanding Advanced Placement program. Those exams are free to the students. Everyone is able to try out an AP class and see if they like it. Overall, the AP Network will prepare your student for college.

Posted January 27, 2010

Wakefield High School 0

Posted July 17, 2009
My child graduated with the class of 2009. He graduated having taken 6 AP classes, which translated into 19 credits accepted by his university. He participated in fall, winter and spring sports and believed the diversity of the student population greatly enhanced his high school experience. The counselors did an excellent job of keeping him on track senior year, as the college selection/application process and senior social activities demanded more and more of his time. The Senior Project experience required that he work independently; he gained confidence and became a more responsible student because of it. The relationships he developed with students, teachers and administrators are strong and meaningful. I believe he was exceedingly well prepared for college by the teachers and staff at Wakefield.

Posted December 29, 2008

Wakefield High School 0

Posted July 03, 2008
I really like Wakefield, it's a great school just like Yorktown and W&L The only thing that bothers me is that we are the last school to get remodle...but other then that i like it. Most of the staff are cool and you learn a lot at wakefield.

Wakefield High School
1325 South Dinwiddie Street, Arlington, VA  22206
Last modified Wakefield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wakefield High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top