Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

My daughter has not seen or experienced any bullying-related behavior.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Outstanding principal and staff. Very caring and dedicated to helping the students achieve their potential.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have been thrilled with the teachers. The teaching is excellent. Further, they are always willing to provide extra assistance outside of the classroom. And their academic credentials are extremely impressive.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework is manageable, provided the student is organized and diligent.

I am a parent of a Wakefield student, and we could not be happier with her academic, athletic, and social experience. Thanks in large part to outstanding teachers, she is excelling despite an incredibly rigorous freshman course load, including AP World History, Trigonometry, and other intensified courses. The Wakefield athletic experience has been equally rewarding, both as a participant and spectator. The varsity basketball team just won its fourth consecutive basketball conference championship on a buzzer beater, followed by the student body rushing the court in celebration. And her social life has never been better. She has developed strong friendships with a great group of Wakefield students, each of whom is smart, caring, funny, and mature enough to enjoy speaking with other parents. In short, Wakefield has exceeded all expectations!

As with every high school, it is what you make it. My oldest son graduated last year and as a military child, he has experienced many, many different schools and he loved Wakefield. It very diverse, as is Arlington. My oldest is a leader by nature, not a follower, he has his values in check, and there is little anyone can do that would have him to deviate from that. With that said, his friends are/were similar to him and he did well socially and academically there. I do have another son and my oldest told me not to send him to Wakefield because he is not, by nature, a leader and could easily fall into a "not so ideal" group, which are present EVERYWHERE. With my oldest advice, my youngest does not go there. It's that simple. Parents need to know their kids and stop looking at the outside influences for reasons/excuses as to why our children aren't succeeding . It starts at home and not when he or she hits puberty and starts doing things we don't like. It starts as soon as they come into our lives.

Being a transfer student at from half a world away, facing all those cultural differences and having no idea how the US education system works, not even mentioning language problems, I should be the last person whom you expect to be writing a review. Yet, having a chance to be here at Wakefield is indeed a life changing experience. Knowing about the school's through president Obama's speech in 2009, as a young, Vietnamese 5th-grader, I got the impression that Wakefield is an amazing school, a school that is recognized nationally. 5 years later from then, coincidentally, I have the chance to attend that high school as an international student and having the experience I could never ever dreamt about before. Not as I expected, Wakefield is not where unicorns and angels fly in the sky and everything is not pink. I freaked out, stepping in the building on the first day of school, I was terrified, worried and nervous. Being new to the school and the country, how can I probably fit in, and the most important thing, how the hell can I study when everything is in English? Magically, I did. The teachers were very understanding, not only they respect my background, they also understand my struggles. Who could ever imagine a US-VA history teacher that won't assume you know who George Washington is, a Pre-Calculus Intensified teacher that won't assume you know what is a TI-84 calculator, a Physics teacher who says that your English is ridiculous and you should be in AP Physics instead of Physics Intensified, a German teacher teaching you how to celebrate Thanksgiving, an English teacher who gives you a perfect recommendation letter even when you work extremely slow because she knows you're trying your best and last but not least, an incredible Sociology teacher who grades your efforts over the quality of your work. My life has totally transformed to a whole new level while being here at Wakefield as I discovered a lot more about the world, its diversity, myself and especially, the values of the United States of America and its people. I realized that unicorns and angels don't fly, they walk, ride bikes, drive cars and ride the school bus instead. I realized everything is not pink but green and white. Wakefield is an amazing community that helps students develop their perfectly imperfect personalities, and you must be an idiot if you're not realizing that.

From the principal to staff, the adults are generally positive, responsive, respectful, caring, and dedicated. The diversity of the school and the inclusiveness of students is exceptional. It isn't perfect but the culture of the school is strong and allows each student to succeed and many thrive.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The staff at Wakefield are committed to seeing each student excel and do their personal best. Because to the amazing diverse student body each student is treated fairly.

Passionate & committed teachers; they pushed my son who has always been an average "just get by" student to be the outstanding scholar he is today. He graduated with honors and 21 AP credits and he is thrilled with his accomplishment and you can sense his pride. Wakefield is truly one of a kind.

Last modified Wakefield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.