Arlington, VA

Posted January 25, 2015
Best Middle School in Arlington County!!! My Child is half way through Gunston (its the middle of 7th grade) and I can't say enough good things about this school and its many wonderful teachers. Where I have heard through friends about bullying and cliques of entitled kids in the North Arlington Schools, Gunston has cultivated a positive culture and stresses constant academic achievement. As one teacher said during conferences, Gunston is the best kept secret in Arlington...

Posted April 02, 2014
Great staff and teachers. Wonderful school for my daughter to transition to! Student body was very accepting.

Posted September 17, 2009
Great teachers, diverse student body and fascinating learning environment.

Posted January 05, 2009
Great School only down fall needs more things for the Art and Music Departments

Posted October 06, 2008

Posted September 28, 2007
After thoroughly researching all the possible APS middle school options and attending all their orientations/tours, I decided that Gunston was the best choice for my child. I love the small classroom sizes(ranging from 15-18 students.) I think the 'family atmosphere' enhances the learning experience. I can't say enough positive things about Ms. Gill's (the principal) dedication and awesome leadership. My son was placed in intensified math and reading and is held to high standards and is academically challenged. (in case there is fear about 'teaching down'.) The school provides so many different resources for ensuring that the new 6th graders succeed in their transitions from elementary school. The communication between the teachers and parents is excellent. The Gunston website is awesome and a great and useful resource. Ms. Gill runs a 'tight ship' and the students are very clear on the rules. The majority of parents are quite loyal.

Posted September 28, 2007
We chose Gunston for my two children because it offered a continuation of the partial-Spanish immersion program they began in kindergarten. Since it is not our neighborhood school, it was a deliberate choice for our family. I have found the school to have a warm and welcoming atmosphere, from the front office to the classrooms. Parents are invited and encouraged to be involved. Many dedicated parents are involved in PTA, which supports a wide variety of events, academic programs and other activities that support every child at Gunston. My children and I have benefited from the cultural and racial diversity of the school. The teachers work hard to help every child achieve, spending many extra hours in the classroom, mentoring students and sponsoring clubs and activities. I encourage anyone in Arlington County to visit Gunston and see for themselves what a great place it is.

Gunston Middle School 4

Posted August 07, 2007
Gunston is a very good school that has shown good flexibility for students at different ability levels. My son went there and was able to complete Algebra and Geometry before the end of 8th grade. The teachers were wonderful. I think the Principal runs a tight ship and clamps down on students who mouth off or misbehave, which is very important in middle school as children are developing so fast and dealing with hormones. Gunston has a truly awesome TV studio and the students' work has been recognized nationally thanks to the teacher, Mr. Costner, and the support of the principal. The PTA is pretty active and has gotten more so in the past three years. Many students from outside of Gunston's neighborhood attendance zone go to Gunston for the Spanish Immersion program. Overall, a strong school.

Posted December 30, 2006
Gunston is a awsome school. the teachers and staff are great. it is very different from most schools i have seen this school seems to act as a family. they have many classes for students and many activities for students the whole school is wonderful. the best of the best.

Gunston Middle School 4

Posted November 24, 2006
This is a really great school... All 3 years of my life @ gunston has been a great expierience for me...

2700 S Lang St, Arlington, VA  22206
Last modified Gunston Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gunston Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top