Arlington Science Focus School 1

Posted October 29, 2014
I have noticed that the children who have working parents and are not seen as much around the schools somehow, the teachers pick them as targets for summer school and said to be lower performing students. If you really notice, the students who's parents stick around the schools who have no jobs and are wealthy seem to have no problems academically....these parents donate a lot of money to the school and are volunteers. Since when does having to work to support your children, yet being an active parent make your child less than. My child is great over all. I am sorry i can not stick around the school each day or donate several thousand dollars....Teachers are a hit or miss. If they really value being a teacher they would not fear the principal or the parents that have the money and feel their children are entitled. All of these comments are correct. I have seen it first hand.

Posted June 16, 2014
This school is good for people who like to brag that their kid is in a science-focused school. But we're underwhelmed by the curriculum, especially in science and math instruction. Some of the teachers are great, but there are many teachers who are just tired and bitter and take it out on the kids. The principal is very into media bits that say how awesome the school is. I've never witnessed her being interested in my child's personal academic growth in the 3 years he's been there. And really, I don't recall ever meeting a group of meaner people that some of the cliquey parents and their entitled children. The school can't help that, but they can stop enabling it. Our kid would have been happier and better educated in a different APS school.

Posted June 01, 2014
In theory, this school should be great. But at the end of the day, this school is just mediocre. Our kid is moving on to middle school next year and has excelled academically at ASFS ... but we feel despite the school administration and many teachers.There a couple of standout teachers, but the curriculum and administration are geared toward mediocrity. One of the biggest problems has been the out of control cliquiness of a handful of parents who suck up all the oxygen under the guise of "parental involvement" and rule that school like the worst junior high. Why does the principal pander to these people and their kids while other kids pay the price? For us, it wasn't worth a move into this district for the education our kid got. It is sufficient but not inspiring or excellent. We're not impressed and are looking forward to moving on.

Posted April 03, 2014
Arlington Science Focus is a wonderful School! I am so excited to have had the opportunity to afford my kids this experience. We came from Alexandria Public Schools where the standard of learning is little different and less challenging. The Principal is amazing, teachers are great! The staff has done everything in their power to assure that my children have not fallen behind they have provided excellent additional assistance and my children are performing VERY well! Thank you so much to all the Staff for making my children feel at home and welcoming them with open arms!!

Posted March 05, 2014
I cannot agree more with the following review posted by another parent: 'If you enjoyed the "cliquey" feel of high school, then you will love it here. If you live for "fitting in" at any cost then you will have ample opportunities to rush one of the parent cliques that snubs their noses at the rest of the parents... The staff is a hit or miss... One interesting trend is the noticeable amount of teachers who are introverted, timid, effeminate and not very warm people. This is likely due to the overwhelming aggressive and punitive style of the principal who hires more passive types of teachers she can easily control. Remember, you were warned.... " I wish I had known all of this before putting my child through 5 years of this military-style, unfair, unhappy learning experience. Talented staff runs from this school. The principal doesn't have a day's worth of classroom experience, she was just a reading specialist. She's all about politics, she doesn't care about your kids, it's all about the recognition she gets from squeezing by all possible means above average scores from exhausted teachers and students. Miserable 5 years.

Arlington Science Focus School 3

Posted February 21, 2014
The school has a great reputation, but we have been very underwhelmed. If this is one of Arlington's finest, we are in trouble. The principal Ms. Begley runs a tight ship...too tight. I don't think her staff does ANYTHING without her permission. The teachers and staff are micromanaged to an uncomfortable degree. Her praise of the staff seems too effusive at times. This school is ALL about testing, testing, testing and statistics and not seeing the whole child. Great extended day staff though. Lots of parents attend the PTA meetings and school wide events. The PTA (also heavily controlled by the principal) raises alot of money for the school.

Posted February 05, 2014
ASFS has great academics, high parental involvement, and wonderful teachers. I would agree that there are parental cliques. But you have your child go here for the school, not the parental social life. It's a Type A environment. If you don't like that, then you will not like your child going here.

Arlington Science Focus School 1

Posted February 03, 2014
My son was in Kindergarden class , they were giving us hard time, it was horrible experience, they had lots of concerns that doesn't really make sense, the principle ambushed my husband at the parking lot, telling him how my son was not following directions, we were shocked coz my son never had problems before, his actually shy boy it sounded like if they were talking about another boy, we asked them to have a meeting, after we had the meeting ,It sounded like if they had nothing "serious" to say, my son just needed a time to adjust, and the teacher was upset for no apparent reason, I had to come and stay with him to see how he was doing, he was doing good, I actually saw a lot behavioral problems with other kids, it seemed like they were not treating kids equally, I have seen a teacher on the playground yelling so laud with anger on a student, it was not a healthy environment, and one more thing, most of the kids cloths "disappear" I actually lost 3 jackets in that class, kids are taking each others jackets or when kid leave it you won't find it again.

Posted July 22, 2013
This is great school with an extraordinary leader and principal MS Begley. My daughter loves the school and its learning environment.

Posted July 19, 2013
Both my children attended this school for the last 3 years. All you need to do is attend the annual fundraiser that the PTA holds every year. The efforts that parents and staff put into the annual fundraiser is unbelievable and shows the pride and committment they have to the school. After that, go see the Science Center and Space Shuttle in the school. Then see the garden and aquarium that the children maintain year round. The principal, Ms. Begley is a no-nonsense leader who makes the education of the children her #1 priority. On the last day of school this year JUN 2013, I picked up my children from the bus stop and they were sad because it was the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. Some children on the bus were crying because they love this school THAT MUCH and they truly enjoy going to school. Can you say that about any other school?

Arlington Science Focus School
1501 N. Lincoln Street, Arlington, VA  22201
Last modified Arlington Science Focus School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arlington Science Focus School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top