St. Thomas More Cathedral School 3

Posted September 12, 2014
The school has hired some good new teachers in the past several years. They have, however grown beyond their capacity to handle increased enrollments. Last school year they had grown to just over 400 students. This year they have grown even more and really don't have the space. A planned expansion is dependent on a funding campaign that seems to be progressing slowly. Teachers are less able to handle to growing class sizes; some long-time families are leaving as a result.

Posted August 08, 2014
this school has really helped my middle school child grow. The teachers have really taught my child how to experience life at the fullest. I must disagree with some of the other posts because saint Thomas more has become a nurturing place for my child. My child has always been bright and has now paved his future. I believe that the current principal was overwhelmed by all of the good things that the previous principal has done that she didn't know how she could finish them! Over this past year she has proven herself to be more than worthy of her principal title. She welcomed us with open arms to the school and has given my son a personal tour of the school. Saint Thomas more is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your child to grow religiously and academically. There is no possible way this school could get any better! Their classes are rigorous and challenging yet my child still knows what he is doing. I wish my child would've went to this school since he was in Preschool

Posted March 25, 2014
What I saw happen at STM - after being there for many years - was an increase in enrollment (due to much hard work by the prior principal and parents) and a current principal who completely lacks the leadership and administrative abilities to handle it. We saw increased class sizes, involved families leave, teacher turnover, teachers who seemed to be stressed and unhappy and disgruntled parents who pulled their kids out of school mid year. We felt like it went from a small, happy community to a large bureaucracy, and that is why we finally left. We are very happy at a smaller, well run, Catholic school.

Posted February 11, 2014
Sad to see this happen.... This school has some great qualities but I agree with some of the previous posts, administration doesn't really seem to care, and if they show they care its really done in a condescending way. Part of teaching children does sometimes involve shaming but not to the extent that they do it at this facility. Punishment or disciplinary action often is extreme when compared to the behavioral infraction. Some of the expectations about behavior are unrealistic for age groups. The academics and the teacher involvement is stellar but the way they handle behavioral problems is disappointing. I can understand why several parents have removed their children as stated in previous reviews here. I remember another parent removing one of her children one year and the next she removed the other two. There exists a rigidity and unwillingness to see things another way. Some of the shaming that they do towards children unfortunately extends to the adults as well which is inappropriate. You don't conduct yourself that way with parents who are responsive and do their best to work with you because they care a great deal. They're ruining school as a fun place to learn and grow.

Posted December 17, 2013
Few involved parents, Principal who either doesn't listen or doesn't care about serious parent concerns (regardless, they remain unresolved), teachers who humiliate children and, in one case, puts her hands on them as a form of "correcting" their behavior. Strict is one thing, abusive is another. Small classrooms reflective of exodus of families. The Diocese (and parents) should really expect more of The Cathedral School.

Posted December 11, 2013
I m pleased with the education my children have received and I can t say enough about how dedicated and caring their teachers have been. I love the pride they have in their students, and appreciate the extra time they've spent to address special concerns. Parents asked for after school enrichment classes. It happened. My kids love The Science Seed, Drama, Tiny Chefs, and Lego Robotics. We haven't tried Yoga or Chess. Parents asked if we could help in the classroom more, and that happened. I ve set up math games, helped with a Halloween party and supervised in the Computers classroom while students learn about the satellite they re building. Yes, it s a Catholic school with strict rules, and that s what we wanted. It s also a place where manners count and values matter. I like the way you meet any middle school student and you're greeted with a handshake, direct eye contact and a polite introduction. btw, the largest elementary school class is 3rd grade: 23 students. The largest middle school classes are 6th and 7th grades: 28 each. Like others who posted, we could send our kids anywhere, but we are happy with our choice to send them to St. Thomas More.

Posted November 12, 2013
What an awful place. The principal is a horrible administrator, has no clue what's happening in the classrooms. She is unwilling to address parent feedback or to make proposed changes. Suggestions are viewed as criticism/attacks on the way they do things. The teachers and principal shame the kids. The things some of the teachers say to the kids have left me slack-jawed. There is no respect or appreciation for the students. It doesn't even seem like anyone who works here LIKES kids. What a mess. Those who stay do so saying, "This is the devil we know," fearful of leaving here and ending up in another lion's den. Not likely they'd find a worse school. The same parents volunteer for everything and end up getting burnt out. There is no enthusiasm to participate in anything and the PTO is a joke. Can't believe we stayed as long as we did. My kids were emotionally scarred at this place and are SO happy elsewhere.

Posted October 19, 2013
Horrible, horrible principal. Now that we are gone and experiencing a well run school, I can't believe we didn't leave earlier.

Posted June 24, 2013
Our daughter just finished Pre-K at STM and absolutely thrived. We moved her to STM mid school year because our daughter would cry for 30 minutes every time we dropped her off at school. Her first day at STM she went right into her classroom with a smile and it stayed that way all year! Amazing teachers, we love the "specials" (music, gym, computer, art, library, Spanish) and as a whole the school has been incredible. Even the pre-schoolers got to participate in the satellite that STM is sending to space next year.

Posted March 26, 2013
Our child is thriving now that he has left STM. The environment at STM is not friendly and the administration is standoffish.

St. Thomas More Cathedral School
105 North Thomas Street, Arlington, VA  22203
Last modified St. Thomas More Cathedral School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Thomas More Cathedral School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top