Arlington, VA
Before care: Yes

St. Ann Elementary School 1

Posted August 08, 2014
This school has taught my son NOTHING! He is learning material he has learned in the third grade! Many of the teachers are too old to teach and have no passion for it. There is a small class size but they are very racially biased. So the only people they would pay attention to are from a certain race.

Posted October 16, 2013
St. Ann's is a close-knit, nurturing place. The physical plant is meager, but if that's what you prize in a school, no Catholic school in Arlington will impress you. What impressed us on our first visit as parents of a five-year-old 11 years ago: the kind, well-mannered, well-spoken, thoughtful, funny, and smart 8th graders who opened doors and answered our questions at the open house. With one kid having gone K through 8th there and two more doing the same, we've had our bumps and bruises along the way. But St. Ann's has proven to be a wonderful little Catholic school and community. Eight years of it produces a precious commodity: a 14-year-old you'd be proud to call your own, well-prepared to succeed in the area's best high schools, well-grounded in the virtues, and habitually kind to his or her fellows. Plus, St. Ann's beats St. Agnes like a rug, which is nice.

Posted June 14, 2013
We walked in one day after my child had a traumatic experience in his neighborhood public school. With nothing but a report card and an email, the principal welcomed him to "visit" for the day, gave us access to a closet full of uniforms, and treated him like a prodigal son. She explained to him that they have laboratory science in the lower graders, use computers often, offer robotics after school, and the other kids are excited to have a new friend. In three weeks he had almost all As and would not take the uniform off after school. I'm blown away by the science here, but most importantly, the teachers differentiate instruction gracefully for all kids and love them so much. They also group students into communities (houses) so they have mentors in upper grades and are leaders to younger students from day 1. I am so grateful for this school. The parents are warm and welcoming too. Supportive of working moms & dads, especially military families. Also, my kid now looks forward to church. A miracle on so many levels. Wish we had started sooner.

Posted June 19, 2012
St. Ann School is a hidden treasure in Arlington, VA. The church and pastor are very supportive of the school. The principal and teachers have made numerous improvements to the school in just the past couple of years in terms of academics (Lab Learner science curriculum, computers, etc.) and enrichment (expanding after school opportunities for arts and music, mentoring program). The class sizes are small and children receive individual attention. The teachers are innovative. The school was also recognized in 2011 as a Department of Education Blue Ribbon School. It is a close knit and welcoming community and the school encourages parental involvement and feedback.

Posted December 12, 2011
St. Ann is a really excellent school. We looked hard at St Thomas More, St Charles, St Agnes and McKinley when choosing a school but we liked St Ann the best. The academics are equal or superior to any of the others (test scores and 2011 Blue Ribbon Award are an indication of that). The smaller class sizes mean a better student-teacher ratio, plus there is an effort to integrate all the kids preK-8 (e.g., buddy system for events). The teachers are very good and totally dedicated to their students. Parents are very involved in supporting the school and volunteer work, plus you really feel like you have a say as a parent. The graduating kids go to Gonzaga, Visitation, O'Connell, etc. Since the new prinicipal joined a few years ago, there has been a steady influx of the latest educational tools (e.g., Science Lab Learner), too. The kids are really well-behaved, good kids with great study habits and few discipline problems. St Ann isn't as fancy as some other schools in this relatively upscale area, but it is the most solid place to send our kids. I read the one critical review below and I just don't get it. St Ann really is a nurturing learning community with shared values.

Posted October 14, 2011
St Ann's in now a Blue Ribbon School (2011). The Blue Ribbon program is an extemely stringent process, which honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools that are high performing or have improved student achievement to high levels. The is how the Dept of Ed identify's and disseminates knowledge about best school leadership and teaching in the U.S. This honor says it all! One of the areas St. Ann was lacking were hot lunches. They now have a hot, healthy lunch program! Great programs, staff and students, love this place! Where else can you find a kindergarten teacher with a PhD?!

Posted August 16, 2010
We absolutely love this school, and are very happy that we decided upon St Ann's for our children. The academics are strong (we like the computer lab and new science program especially) and we know our kids are getting a great education. The school community is great, and we've made very close friends among the other parents. There is a sense of togetherness among the families (probably because it's a Catholic school, and also because it's small) that you simply don't find at many other schools. The school is fairly small, so the kids get a lot of individual attention. That said, it certainly would be nice if the school was bigger, and I would advise any parent to strongly consider St Ann for their children. We simply love this school.

St. Ann Elementary School 2

Posted April 16, 2010
I really started my child here because of the other reviews. These people had very different experiences than I have had this year. My daughter had attended other Catholic Schools prior to St Ann and this was by far the weakest in terms of academics, social opportunities, and school community. We really know no other families, despite having volunteered for several events and signing up for others. I did meet a few people, but it was very fleeting conversation. As for instruction, I don't think it was very strong overall. There may be a few times when challenge and learning took place, but these were rare. It could be a much better school. I think it has amazing potential. I was just hoping for a nice, close knit school where people really work together. What We found was just skating by.

Posted October 26, 2009
I absolutely love teaching at St. Ann's School. We are a small school with big results. One parent mentioned to me that their child is almost getting private tutoring with out small class sizes. Check out our web site at http://www.stann.org for more information.

Posted May 30, 2008
Outstanding school with excellent academics. Top notch teachers who truly care about the kids. Very close community, families are very supportive of each other. Award winning art program, many enrichment/extracurricular activities including highly acclaimed athletic program that emphasizes sportsmanship. State of the art computer lab.

St. Ann Elementary School
980 North Frederick Street, Arlington, VA  22205
Last modified St. Ann Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Ann Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top