No rating

St. Agnes School

Private | PK-8

Student diversity

Living in Arlington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $750,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,640.

Sweep tile

Posted January 14, 2014

We are new to St. Agnes this year. We transferred from another Catholic elementary school in Arlington because the administration in the former school was deficient in so many ways. That said, we LOVE, LOVE St. Agnes!!! The academics are superior, care and concern from teachers, wonderful, discipline is kind but firm, parent involvement, tremendous. We were made to feel welcomed from the first moment. It is no wonder that many classes already have waiting lists for next year. This school is like a hidden gem in the community.

Posted January 19, 2013

I am not sure when the previous reviewer attended the school, but our experience was completely different. All three of my children attended the school, and we could not have been happier. The books that are currently being read in the junior high exceed grade level, and the students have gone on to top high schools and colleges (Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, Cornell, NYU, etc.) The community is exceptionally warm and supportive, and the academics both demanding and individualized. They currently have waiting lists for several grades.

Posted August 21, 2012

I attended Saint Agnes for many years and I can honestly say, it was an unsatisfactory experience. Most of the teachers at SAS are very mediocre. While there are a couple that stand out, most of them have no passion for teaching. The academic program is not challenging at all. Students read books that are way below grade level and are not really encouraged to read books at or above. Saint Agnes is very poor at accommodating for anyone who does not have the conventional learning style. The community is very gossipy and standoffish, both the parents and students. I have to agree with one of the previous students who stated that the administration shows very poor judgement. Little issues are blown completely out of proportion, and real problems are ignored. There are truly so many great schools in Arlington, that Saint Agnes shouldn't even be an option. I am very happy that I am not attending Saint Agnes anymore. Please don't send your child here if you want them to have a good elementary and middle school experience.

Posted March 3, 2011

We started our eldest son at St. Agnes this school year (2010-11), and we couldn't be more pleased with his academic progress, personal development, faith formation, and charity toward others. The teachers and staff here are professional, caring and get results. The community and parish are exceptionally welcoming, supportive, and involved.

Posted March 9, 2010

My children have a combined 23 years at St. Agnes, encompassing literally every grade level. I strongly disagree with the student's review below, and point out that enrollment is increasing, not decreasing as it is at other inside-the-Beltway Catholic schools. The reading program includes DRAs, which the excellent local public schools also offer, and there are differentiated reading and math in primary and middle school grades. Class sizes are on the smaller side, which benefits the students and the teachers. The enrichment activities are varied and affordable, the energy of the parents is well-utilized, and the community is very friendly. Is every teacher exceptional in every way? No. Are the students happy, engaged, polite, responsible, academically prepared for the top local high schools (Thomas Jefferson; Georgetown Visitation; Gonzaga; Georgetown Prep; many more)? Absolutely. The teachers are happy and the parents have tremendous loyalty. Don't overlook this gem in Arlington.

Posted October 19, 2009

I have three children at St. Agnes and it has been a wonderful experience. The teachers are involved with the students and very caring. The school's academic program is excellent and there are many opportunities for parents to become involved. They have back to school parties for each grade, parent coffees with the principal as well as literacy night, a book fair, and after school enrichment programs. I have found the teachers to be very responsive when I have had questions or concerns.

Posted October 14, 2009

I think St. Agnes is a good school. Not many schools have a class size of only 14-15 children. The academic program is good overall. They really enforce behavioral rules (no bullying, etc.). They have a very nice healthy lunch program and they are very generous with their time. They do need to improve their language arts, computer and physical education programs. Also, a gifted & talented program would be welcomed. Many parents are professionals and they should reach out to us for help with grant writing and more fundraising.

Posted October 13, 2009

My child loves St Agnes school, nice community, teachers are excellent. I strongly recomended St Agnes schoool as one of the best in Arlington.

Posted October 3, 2009

It is a wonderful, warm, welcoming, happy environment for children to learn while having tons of fun....

Posted September 27, 2009

My children have been at St. Agnes for years, two are still there and one is in high school now. It is a Blue Ribbon School with excellent teachers! It is a tight knit, diverse community with plenty to offer. I do not agree with the review of the staff being 'standoffish' as they are very warm and accommodating. I have always found our teachers open and accessible. The NOVA are is a highly educated area with motivated and involved parents. St. Agnes is up to the task to educate children about the world and develop and nurture them spiritually It is a very well run school that easily competes and exceeds the standards of other public and private schools in the area.

Posted September 24, 2009

My daughter started at St Agnes Catholic School in Arlington for the 4th grade 4 years ago. We followed an exceptional teacher to this exceptional school. Although, we are not Catholic, we are Christians. We felt welcomed immediately. The staff responds and resolves issues quickly. I cannot say enough positive things about the school, the teachers, and the overall environment. The teachers are unbelievably generous with their time, not only in regards to academics but personal growth as well. The students leave prepared to attend and succeed at some of the best high schools in the area. I would recommend this school to all parents who want to see their child grow as a person and a student!

Posted August 26, 2009

I have to agree with the reviewer who wrote that they found the faculty to be standoffish. In my experience, an inexcusable lack of communication led to a situation where my child was on the verge of having to repeat a grade despite no earlier communication to indicate there were any unusual problems with their learning habits. While the community is close knit at St. Agnes, I found that it did not make up for what I consider to be the faculty's inexcusable and unprofessional failure to communicate. As such, I ultimately decided to move my child to a different school and hopefully a better structured learning environment.

Posted July 7, 2009

My experience in this school is one of the most damaging and worst plummet in my education. When i attended this school many situations weren't addressed, such as violence, harassment and other inappropriate behavior. They would lightly adress extreme situations with the poor judgement of the staff and principle. Not only is the justice in the school poor, but the actual school is poor. They are cutting programs and teachers because of the budget. Many parents are taking their kids out of the school and the classes now contain a few amount of children. many of my friends that still reside in this school want to leave very much, but in the end its the decision of thier parents. After my first year, i gladly left this schoo to attend a public one where my grades skyrocketed as well as my happiness. I strongly do not recomend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 16, 2008

We have been a part of the St. Agnes community for 10 years and I can say that although there are outstanding public schools in Arlington, I wouldn't change my decision to send my children to St. Agnes. It's a very traditional school, with emphasis on the core academic subjects, and the teachers are very caring and very good. Class sizes are small compared to public schools and there are intangibles that add to the quality of the school - outstanding parental involvement, a rich academic enrichment program, annual traditions that involve the entire school from Pre-K through Grade 8, and a close feeling of community. When we started at the school I felt 'on the fringes' but when I dove into volunteering, I began to feel very at home and welcome. I highly recommend this small jewel as the best school in Arlington, public or private.

Posted December 2, 2008

A lovely school with committed teachers and supportive, involved parents. We are pleased with the academics as well as the emphasis on faith, community and character development. Best of all, my children love it!

Posted September 13, 2007

Our family has gone to St. Agnes for 8 years and we have enjoyed it and would recommend it. We recently moved and decided to interview 2 of Fairfax County's best schools as well as one other Catholic school. After studying all of the schools we decided to stay at St. Agnes. We feel that St. Agnes provided the healthiest environment. No school is perfect we have had issues with an occasional teacher from time to time but I don't know of any school where you will not. I do feel that the teachers are very good and that the spirit of both the faculty and the school is superior. The faculty is always looking for ways to improve and is receptive to suggestions. I don't know what all the class sizes are but I believe they are very manageable. Our children's class sizes are under 15 which is great.

Posted June 27, 2007

This school is the best thing that has happened to me and my family! My children are so happy here and have thrived socially and academically! We have always felt like such a special part of this wonderful St. Agnes community, from the families, to the teachers, administration and priests as well. We couldn't be happier and feel so blessed to have found such a great school!

Posted April 7, 2006

Look into the school first, ask potential teachers questions, interview them. We did not have a good experience and switched our children to St. Ann's. The parents at St. Agnes are very nice, but the attitude of the faculty was a bit stand-offish. If you feel comfortable after interviewing the teachers, then good. But I think a chat with them about their ideas, teaching, parent involvement, etc. will let you know if the school is right for you. One thing, if the temp was below 40, the kids would not have recess. I never liked that.

Posted January 2, 2006

St. Agnes is one of those schools that you would want every child to attend. The teachers are caring, sensitive and always go the extra mile for the students. The enrichment program is fantastic with great extra programs for the kids. Most of all, St. Agnes is a spiritual learning environment. The classes are well organized and the children get alot of one on one attention. The academic achievement of the students here speak for the success in having parish support and parent involvement. This school is not only a 'great choice,' it is a great choice in a warm and positive environment.

Posted December 29, 2005

Excellent school. Extraordinary core subject teachers. Needs improvement in music and art curriculum. Loving and supportive environment.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Kris Carr
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Arlington