No rating

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School

Private | 9-12 | 1193 students

Student diversity

Living in Arlington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $595,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Posted December 13, 2013

Very few teachers appeared to enjoy any aspect of their job. Very politically-driven school with biased leadership who cares more about athletics and image than education.

Posted March 1, 2012

What a mistake; not only once but twice. After our daughter begged to get out of Bishop O Connell after her second year we relented and sent her to a much better school in the area. She complained that she was not being taught by the instructors. She had to teach herself. We just didn t really believe her. We asked why such low grades, why do you think you re not learning. She was student of the quarter seven out of eight quarters in Jr. High. It wasn t until she arrived at her new school and the English instructor told us how ill prepared she was in English. Her last school did her no favors. Her new school prepared her and has accepted an appointment to a service academy. I only wish my wife had listened to my daughter when we sent our son there. Two years of misery again! Worst money spent.

Posted September 5, 2011

I love Bishop O'Connell and everyone I know does too. There's not a single one of my friends who wishes they could go elsewhere. At O'Connell everyone fits in! No matter what, each person has at least some friends and that's what's important. The uniforms are cute and tasteful for girls and standard for boys. The teachers are so nice and genuinely care about the students. Overall the vibes are REALLY good! It's a much better environment than public school. (I went to public school before OC and now often times in class i want to pinch myself because i cant believe how much nicer people are!) I knew from the second I stepped foot here that I would love it and I don't think I'll ever change my mind. It really is a gem of a school. If you decide to attend Bishop O'Connell your High School memories will be wonderful!!!! take my word for it :) this is a place where people respect you and are always incredibly supportive!

Posted June 29, 2011

When I read the reviews below I wonder what kind of grudge former students/parents have to discredit a good school like O'Connell. Our son went and thrived. Great caring teachers and guidance couselors, good coaches and lots of challenging honors and AP classes. He did well in college placement exams and was accepted to his first choice university. He was well prepared for university classes by the O'Connell staff and maintains a high GPA. I highly recommend this high school.

Posted April 29, 2011

Ok, I recently just graduated from Bishop Denis J. Oconnell and dont really know where to beign about this school. First off before you even send your kid here, stop. The school is terrible and i have probably a list of 50 reasons but i will sum it down to five. 1) The academics here are an complete joke, even my parents agreed with me sophmore year, but i decided to stay because of my friends. 3/4s of the teachers just pound you with home work and massive amounts of work that does not accomplish anything productive but stressing you out. I learned more in my first month in college then all 4 years at O'Connell. 2) The rules their are absurd, half the time kids dont even follow them so their set up to fail from the beginning. The administration needs to easy up and stop hosting a prison where kids have little freedom. 3) i could have gotten into better or the same colleges that i did from a public school and saved $40,000. 4) The kids their are all rich so that means for all your parents that dont know, Lots of drug use and alcohol use. 5) at a public school your childs friends are all in a close designated area, not all over Virginia like some of my friends were

Posted January 25, 2011

O'connell was a great time, however I felt very unprepared for college once I graduated. I always thought the teachers and security guards were more concerned with pointing out students flaws rather than preparing us for the real world. If you are a girl or low key boy you will do fine there. The sporting teams there are ok. Football and lax teams need the most work. Overall, not worth the money. There were alot of babes though :)

Posted January 14, 2011

Does not show a Catholic environment. The atmosphere at sporting events is violent and mean. To sum up the attitude of O'Connell: Do whatever you have to to come out on top...integrity doesn't matter.

Posted August 11, 2010

I couldn't be happier with my experience at O'Connell. If you are trying to decide on a school in NOVA I don't think there is a better option. O'Connell had amazing school spirit, not just for sports, but for the drama and music departments, for religion, and academics. Everyone can find a place to fit in at O'Connell. The principle, Dr. Vorbach, is the absolute nicest man alive. He knows every single student in the school and makes a point to always be available to his students. The guidance department is extremely helpful in the college application process. And finally, every teacher really has a love of their job. In all my time at O'Connell I never met a teacher who genuinely didn't love teaching and try their best to help the students learn.

Posted April 1, 2010

Our son is a Junior at O'Connell and has enjoyed his time there very much. Academically: the teachers and curriculum have helped him turn from someone who hated writing, into someone who thinks surprisingly deeply and coherently, and has become a very good writer;. He has played club sports (i.e. not a sponsored, mainstream sport) which he has loved, and his teammates have become another supportive group of friends for him;. He had a group of friends from his grade & middle schools when he entered O'Connell, and while that group has remained tight, he has developed new groups of friends, and even fallen in and out of 'love' a few times. When he has had difficulties with a subject, his teachers have been more than accommodating in helping him through it; meeting before or after school, or during lunch. O'Connell has been a really good experience for him!

Posted July 17, 2009

I've been going to O'Connell for three years and am about to enter my Senior year there. I have never had a problem with any of my classes. If I ever needed assistance on a topic, the teachers were readily available. I was able to either meet with them before school, after school, or during my lunch period if they didn't have a class. Everyone there has been very helpful and I'm sure I will benefit from these experiences in the future.

Posted March 11, 2009

GREAT school !! The public school my children should attend is five minutes from my house. We drive 45 minutes to a hour to get to O'Connell and it is worth every minute and every penny. Excellent academics, phenomenal teachers, wonderful christian atmosphere, incredible competitive sports. The school has the whole package. Loads of extracurricular activities and clubs to participate in. Although the best attributes is the sense of moral and ethical values the school instills in it's students. We have sent our two children to O'Connell and we send the other two there as well. This is a school to believe in. We are, and continue to be very impressed.

Posted January 17, 2009

Just a great school with tradional core values.

Posted December 13, 2008

We agree the education at DJO is good. But the administration and the coaches show a lack of consideration and respect for our children. In an atmosphere that is supposed be an example to our children of what a christian community should be DJO falls so far below what is expected.... very disappointing -

Posted October 25, 2008

I disagree with the below post. Im an athlete at O'Connell, I was not recruited, and to be honest im not a phenomenal athlete. I've had an amazing experience at OC and never had a problem with athletics. Many of the sports teams are very competitive and are highly ranked, but more power to them. There are still many opportunities to stay involved in some form of athletic activity regardless of skill level. Also, the number and variety of clubs is awesome...there is something for everyone as long as you take the initiative to get involved. My experience has been positive academically, athletically and socially.

Posted May 21, 2008

Academically, this is a stellar school with an outstanding faculty. My child has attended for one year. Unfortuately,the downside of this school is the coaching and recruiting for sports that goes on at this school. If your child is not one of the 'chosen recruits' they are basically treated like second class citizens and for the students, the school should be a well rounded place for them to enjoy their high school experience academics and extracurricular activities. Again, academically, I can not say enough great things about O'Connell...sports wise..BEWARE... they have away of make 'great' athletes feel belittled for not being PHENOMS... If it's all about academics..this is the school...If it's about academics AND sports...THINK TWICE before sending your child here.

Posted February 12, 2008

This past fall, we decided to move our daughter from Langley to Bishop O'Connell. We were at first nervous to transfer our daughter to O'Connell because she didn't know anyone there, but that immediately changed. The school works hard to ensure that there is something for everyone....the number of clubs and activities is amazing. The sense of spirit and community is something even we as parents never experienced at Langley. The curriculum and course offerings are great and the service component has led to a well-rounded education. O'Connell is by no means an academically 'easy' school; However, O'Connell truly defines 'college preparatory.' We will surely send our two younger kids to DJO!

Posted January 3, 2008

Being a graduate of Bishop O'Connell and a graduate of Virginia Tech twice for BS and Masters recently, I have to say that Bishop O'Connell served me extremely well. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I made lasting friendships, played football and baseball and excelled in the math and sciences especially. I will send my future children here.

Posted December 27, 2007

Great school, great teachers, great extracurricular activities and something for everyone! The atmosphere is very positive and there is a positive peer pressure to do well and to do your best. The students are wonderful, respectful, service oriented and just plain fun to be around. A very well rounded experience for our four children. Our eldest, now attending UVA and excelling there, attributes his success to how well prepared he was at O'Connell. His AP classes were true AP classes he tells us and he is so very thankful!

Posted December 2, 2007

This school has severe problems. The school does not consistently apply its rules, does not consistentlty treat students, and does not teach respect thru showing respect. The last straw for me was when the proincipal refused to apologize when an accusation against my child was shown to be wrong.

Posted November 12, 2007

My daughter is a senior, my son is a sophomore, and my husband is an alum of O'Connell. We have been very pleased with the academics at O'Connell. My children have taken regular academic, honors, and AP classes. I feel that my daughter is well-prepared for college. I like the fact that they attend Mass, do service projects for people in the community, and are required to learn about their religion. While there have been times we haven't always agreed with the teachers, their methods, or their ideas, it is unrealistic to think that that would not have happened anywhere else. I appreciate the range of activities available to my children -- clubs, sports, service opportunities -- at O'Connell. I would wholeheartedly recommend DJO to any student who wants to attend a Catholic high school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Richard Martin
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Arlington