Arlington, VA
Students enrolled: 1,100
After care: No

Posted December 13, 2013
Very few teachers appeared to enjoy any aspect of their job. Very politically-driven school with biased leadership who cares more about athletics and image than education.

Posted March 01, 2012
What a mistake; not only once but twice. After our daughter begged to get out of Bishop O Connell after her second year we relented and sent her to a much better school in the area. She complained that she was not being taught by the instructors. She had to teach herself. We just didn t really believe her. We asked why such low grades, why do you think you re not learning. She was student of the quarter seven out of eight quarters in Jr. High. It wasn t until she arrived at her new school and the English instructor told us how ill prepared she was in English. Her last school did her no favors. Her new school prepared her and has accepted an appointment to a service academy. I only wish my wife had listened to my daughter when we sent our son there. Two years of misery again! Worst money spent.

Posted September 05, 2011
I love Bishop O'Connell and everyone I know does too. There's not a single one of my friends who wishes they could go elsewhere. At O'Connell everyone fits in! No matter what, each person has at least some friends and that's what's important. The uniforms are cute and tasteful for girls and standard for boys. The teachers are so nice and genuinely care about the students. Overall the vibes are REALLY good! It's a much better environment than public school. (I went to public school before OC and now often times in class i want to pinch myself because i cant believe how much nicer people are!) I knew from the second I stepped foot here that I would love it and I don't think I'll ever change my mind. It really is a gem of a school. If you decide to attend Bishop O'Connell your High School memories will be wonderful!!!! take my word for it :) this is a place where people respect you and are always incredibly supportive!

Posted June 29, 2011
When I read the reviews below I wonder what kind of grudge former students/parents have to discredit a good school like O'Connell. Our son went and thrived. Great caring teachers and guidance couselors, good coaches and lots of challenging honors and AP classes. He did well in college placement exams and was accepted to his first choice university. He was well prepared for university classes by the O'Connell staff and maintains a high GPA. I highly recommend this high school.

Posted April 29, 2011
Ok, I recently just graduated from Bishop Denis J. Oconnell and dont really know where to beign about this school. First off before you even send your kid here, stop. The school is terrible and i have probably a list of 50 reasons but i will sum it down to five. 1) The academics here are an complete joke, even my parents agreed with me sophmore year, but i decided to stay because of my friends. 3/4s of the teachers just pound you with home work and massive amounts of work that does not accomplish anything productive but stressing you out. I learned more in my first month in college then all 4 years at O'Connell. 2) The rules their are absurd, half the time kids dont even follow them so their set up to fail from the beginning. The administration needs to easy up and stop hosting a prison where kids have little freedom. 3) i could have gotten into better or the same colleges that i did from a public school and saved $40,000. 4) The kids their are all rich so that means for all your parents that dont know, Lots of drug use and alcohol use. 5) at a public school your childs friends are all in a close designated area, not all over Virginia like some of my friends were

Posted January 25, 2011
O'connell was a great time, however I felt very unprepared for college once I graduated. I always thought the teachers and security guards were more concerned with pointing out students flaws rather than preparing us for the real world. If you are a girl or low key boy you will do fine there. The sporting teams there are ok. Football and lax teams need the most work. Overall, not worth the money. There were alot of babes though :)

Posted January 14, 2011
Does not show a Catholic environment. The atmosphere at sporting events is violent and mean. To sum up the attitude of O'Connell: Do whatever you have to to come out on top...integrity doesn't matter.

Posted August 11, 2010
I couldn't be happier with my experience at O'Connell. If you are trying to decide on a school in NOVA I don't think there is a better option. O'Connell had amazing school spirit, not just for sports, but for the drama and music departments, for religion, and academics. Everyone can find a place to fit in at O'Connell. The principle, Dr. Vorbach, is the absolute nicest man alive. He knows every single student in the school and makes a point to always be available to his students. The guidance department is extremely helpful in the college application process. And finally, every teacher really has a love of their job. In all my time at O'Connell I never met a teacher who genuinely didn't love teaching and try their best to help the students learn.

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School 0

Posted April 01, 2010
Our son is a Junior at O'Connell and has enjoyed his time there very much. Academically: the teachers and curriculum have helped him turn from someone who hated writing, into someone who thinks surprisingly deeply and coherently, and has become a very good writer;. He has played club sports (i.e. not a sponsored, mainstream sport) which he has loved, and his teammates have become another supportive group of friends for him;. He had a group of friends from his grade & middle schools when he entered O'Connell, and while that group has remained tight, he has developed new groups of friends, and even fallen in and out of 'love' a few times. When he has had difficulties with a subject, his teachers have been more than accommodating in helping him through it; meeting before or after school, or during lunch. O'Connell has been a really good experience for him!

Posted November 18, 2009

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School
6600 North Little Falls Road, Arlington, VA  22213
Last modified Bishop Denis J O'connell High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Bishop Denis J O'connell High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top