Arlington, VA
Students enrolled: 1,100
After care: No

Posted July 20, 2015
So far this has been a great experience for my student and a great experience for the family.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 20, 2015
I am sure the students would like less, but it seems about right, at least to the parents.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 20, 2015
My student has learned to self advocate during their two years here. That alone makes me proud, the school wants the students to be able to stand on their own, it helps prepare them for college.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 20, 2015
The community outreach from DJO is one of the reasons we selected it. There are always service projects going on and service is a big part of the message.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 20, 2015
I have a student currently at DJO and my student is having a great time. The teachers are caring and helpful, they have even created more time during the day for the students to obtain extra help should it be needed. Academically, my student went from being an average student to one who is engaged in learning and excited for the next school year. The new class additions are great! The counseling staff is wonderful, they are doing a great job to get the kids ready for college. It is a friendly, caring environment. There is an emphasis on athletics but there is also an emphasis on the arts-be it musical or theatrical or art for arts sake. They are trying to ensure that the students are graduating as well rounded individuals. One of the things we like best is that there is a place for everybody at this school. The administration is supportive and helpful. There have been some great changes over the past two years. This is a great school! Please check it out!

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School 2

Posted December 13, 2013
Very few teachers appeared to enjoy any aspect of their job. Very politically-driven school with biased leadership who cares more about athletics and image than education.
4 people found this helpful

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School 1

Posted March 01, 2012
What a mistake; not only once but twice. After our daughter begged to get out of Bishop O Connell after her second year we relented and sent her to a much better school in the area. She complained that she was not being taught by the instructors. She had to teach herself. We just didn t really believe her. We asked why such low grades, why do you think you re not learning. She was student of the quarter seven out of eight quarters in Jr. High. It wasn t until she arrived at her new school and the English instructor told us how ill prepared she was in English. Her last school did her no favors. Her new school prepared her and has accepted an appointment to a service academy. I only wish my wife had listened to my daughter when we sent our son there. Two years of misery again! Worst money spent.
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 05, 2011
I love Bishop O'Connell and everyone I know does too. There's not a single one of my friends who wishes they could go elsewhere. At O'Connell everyone fits in! No matter what, each person has at least some friends and that's what's important. The uniforms are cute and tasteful for girls and standard for boys. The teachers are so nice and genuinely care about the students. Overall the vibes are REALLY good! It's a much better environment than public school. (I went to public school before OC and now often times in class i want to pinch myself because i cant believe how much nicer people are!) I knew from the second I stepped foot here that I would love it and I don't think I'll ever change my mind. It really is a gem of a school. If you decide to attend Bishop O'Connell your High School memories will be wonderful!!!! take my word for it :) this is a place where people respect you and are always incredibly supportive!

Posted June 29, 2011
When I read the reviews below I wonder what kind of grudge former students/parents have to discredit a good school like O'Connell. Our son went and thrived. Great caring teachers and guidance couselors, good coaches and lots of challenging honors and AP classes. He did well in college placement exams and was accepted to his first choice university. He was well prepared for university classes by the O'Connell staff and maintains a high GPA. I highly recommend this high school.

Bishop Denis J O'connell High School 1

Posted April 29, 2011
Ok, I recently just graduated from Bishop Denis J. Oconnell and dont really know where to beign about this school. First off before you even send your kid here, stop. The school is terrible and i have probably a list of 50 reasons but i will sum it down to five. 1) The academics here are an complete joke, even my parents agreed with me sophmore year, but i decided to stay because of my friends. 3/4s of the teachers just pound you with home work and massive amounts of work that does not accomplish anything productive but stressing you out. I learned more in my first month in college then all 4 years at O'Connell. 2) The rules their are absurd, half the time kids dont even follow them so their set up to fail from the beginning. The administration needs to easy up and stop hosting a prison where kids have little freedom. 3) i could have gotten into better or the same colleges that i did from a public school and saved $40,000. 4) The kids their are all rich so that means for all your parents that dont know, Lots of drug use and alcohol use. 5) at a public school your childs friends are all in a close designated area, not all over Virginia like some of my friends were
3 people found this helpful

6600 North Little Falls Road, Arlington, VA  22213
Last modified Bishop Denis J O'connell High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Bishop Denis J O'connell High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top