Arlington, VA

Posted April 08, 2015
This is our first year at HFB, which we chose due to its STEM concentration (it is not our neighborhood school.) We were going to see how the year went before deciding whether to remain here, primarily because of the negative reviews. We are so happy we decided to try it out - the staff here is amazing, as is the administration. Ms. Graves is committed to both improving the school and to bringing the community together, and genuinely cares about the students and their families. The art, music, and STEM teachers are absolutely fantastic, and my child loves going to school (she gets so upset when I take her out for a day, or even if I pick her up early!) Many of the students here are from immigrant families, which is why the English scores are a bit lower than average, but any child can thrive here!

Posted March 23, 2015
Love Ms. Tagle Pre-K teacher!!! My daughter have learned so much since she was enrolled at HBS. Staff are friendly

Hoffman-Boston Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
This is my son's second year at Hoffman-Boston. I enrolled him with great hesitation because of the negative review provided to me by people in the community. After observing the school keenly and getting involved (as all parents should), I must say that I have no regrets enrolling my son in this culturally and economically diverse school. It will make better prepared to have successful interactions with all types of people. The staff, from the Principal (Ms. Graves) to the custodians, are so invested in making this school a great representative of Arlington Public Schools. Sure their rating isn't as high as North Arlington Schools, but I can assure you that their teaching staff is just as strong, creative, intelligent, and dedicated to the students. Needs of many students at this school are greater than those of students in N. APS schools, but that is not a cause to flee to another school, but this school has the supports in place to give these students the best education they can get. Strong parental support in the PTA will help move this school up a N. APS school rating so parents of this school community, let's rally together and show people how fantastic HB really is!!!

Posted June 07, 2012
Hoffman-Boston is an excellent school with extremely dedicated, caring, kind, and compassionate teachers, staff, and administrators. I have two sons that attend here and I call their teachers the miracle workers. Both of my sons are diagnoised with ADHD, which is difficult to deal with and requires much patience, the teachers and staff here have given me so much support as I travel through the adventures of ADHD. They were always supportive and addressed each and everyone of my concerns and they were very flexible and accomadating with my request to visit their classroom. The level of teaching and academic experiences present at Hoffman-Boston are superb in my opinion. My children have had experiences here that will touch and enrich their lives and they will be that much fortunate for having been there at Hoffman-Boston! Also I would like to say that when looking for schools for your children, don't let one bad review stop you, you have to inform yourself and visit the school and really become involved to make your own wise deciscions about what is best for your child.

Hoffman-Boston Elementary School 1

Posted January 25, 2012
My autistic son had a horrible experience in the so called "ABA" autism classrom here last year. He regressed so much that it's taking him a year now and he still hasn't caught up. I was not allowed to observe or even talk with the teacher unless the autism coordinator (who, by the way, is over 19 schools!) was present! I was told things were being done, only to find out later, they weren't. I wasn not welcome in the school, and sent back to the office to wait even when I had signed in for an IEP meeting! I picked up my son every day, but was never allowed to talk with the teacher. My son was only 3 years old. I do not trust that school. It seemed they were hiding things from us.

Posted June 16, 2009
Hoffman-Boston is a school that is overlooked. The teaching and learning that goes on within and outside of the school walls is incredible. The administration and staff are dedicated to giving our children the best education they have to offer. And they do it EVERY day. Don't just look at the test scores, though they are on the rise, take an hour to come see what's happening for yourself. Seeing is believing.

Posted April 20, 2009

Posted December 27, 2008
Look at the test scores---look at the reviews...this school is bad news--until there is a change in administration my children will not go here. Parents you have a right to go to another public school and a right to transportation there--don't be duped into letting this underperforming school go on.

Posted January 15, 2008
As a product of private school, I had every intention of placing my child in one. After discussions with other parents in my neighborhood, I placed my son there for pre-school. He is now in Kindergarden and I can't wait to put my other son in there. This school has set the standard as how any school should be. My oldest loves studing and going to school and my youngest tears up to go with him. The teachers and the staff have created an environment that is safe, fun, personal and full of educational encouragement. I could ask for a better school.

Posted October 07, 2005
My child used to go to HB and I was very involved in the school day to day. I believe the teachers who were there were very dedicated and some of the social studies activities that they were involved in were absolutely amazing. There was a real change in the atmosphere with the change in principals and many of the teachers moved on. We have since transferred to another school in the county. I recommend observing the behavior before enrolling.

Hoffman-Boston Elementary School
1415 S Queen St, Arlington, VA  22204
Last modified Hoffman-Boston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hoffman-Boston Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top