Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Cedar Lane Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 05, 2015
Mrs. Plummer helped us through some concerns with our child and we can't thank her enough. She is a Wonderful human being.

Posted October 05, 2015
Bob Marple is the current principal. This school is packed with caring and smart teachers. This school also has a hometown feel and has great turn out for school activities, events and PTA functions. Not sure why the rating is a 7 currently but my feeling is this data is not correct.

Posted September 17, 2015
Please note that my rating is based on the new Principal and VP, Mr. Marple and Mr. Tracey and my child's 5th grade teacher. My child was at Cedar Lane from K-5. When Mr. Marple became the school Principal, the kids no longer switched classes from grades 3-5 for Math and English. For my child, this posed problems, as she has difficulty sitting for long periods of time and becomes distracted. And, put that together with a teacher that doesn't tolerate a child that is easily distracted and it's a recipe for failure. My child was singled out on more than one occasion by her fifth grade teacher. It was to the point that she was sending home notes about my child being a problem at least once a week. (My child, who has never had issues with teachers until this year). The teacher played mind games and bullied my child. The teacher was very young, she graduated early, and immature. And, when I went to seek assistance from the administration, I was made to feel as though the problem was my child, not the teacher. I asked them on numerous occasions to evaluate the classroom and they would not. Especially, since she was a new teacher. And, there was no previous history of any problems with my child (6 years at this school). The teacher would complain about my child's desk and her surroundings. She would smile if my child didn't do well. (i.e. The 5th graders were evaluated for math honors and when I went to pick up the results she smirked when she saw my child didn't make it in). The teacher accused me of assisting my child with projects. It was an absolutely miserable year. If it wasn't my child's last year at Cedar Lane, I would have removed her from the classroom or school. Mr. Tracey, VP, was brand new and didn't appear to have any experience dealing with these sort of problems. And, Mr. Marple took a backseat once Mr. Tracey came onboard. Even though Mr. Marple was cc'd on all the exchanges, he didn't feel it warranted his involvement. And, now my child is in the 7th grade and absolutely flourishing. The classes in her middle school are 45 minutes long and she's a straight A student, able to pay attention and retain information. No complaints from teachers.

Posted May 15, 2015
This school breeds a tolerance for bullying. The kids are not properly supervised on the playground infact their playground does not even have a fence. When issues occur it's one kid's word against another. However, the bullying does not just stop with the kids, the P.E. teachers are bona fide bullies themselves. I am vigorously looking for other schools to enroll my kid in. I would NOT recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 10, 2014
Awesome school, friendly environment, kind teachers who care, and a dynamic principal who is visible, engaging, and very approachable. Implementing Watch Dog Dads was a great move on the schools part! Video newsletters are very 21st century, not to mention a solid and regularly updated Face Book page and Twitter account! A new focus on technology is very visible in this school, and the teacher are working hard to embrace all student needs and learning styles!

Posted July 11, 2014
We are moving to Loudoun from out of state and have two children with IEPs. Based upon recommendations from other parents, we met with Mr Tracey to get a feel for the school and the admin. I was so impressed!! First, he took the time to read our kids' IEPs (!!!) before the meeting (keep in mind we hadn't purchased a home yet but were merely visiting schools to get a feel for things) and had a good grasp on my children's abilities and needs. He was enthusiastic about the school and gave us a personal tour. The school also houses an after school social skills group called Marvin's Club, which is based on a reputable program called Social Thinking. The concept had garnered the school many awards and accolades. This is so exciting because clearly, they invest in all types of kids! I would definitely recommend!

Posted July 01, 2013
As a former student of this school, I can honestly say this place was incredible. I stayed every year, from Kindergarten to 5th grade. The teachers were absolutely perfect. The school is really nice and clean too. Everyone there was just full of energy, motivated, and excited to learn which is what kids need to be in elementary school. I remember how amazing the assemblies used to be, how fun the choir concerts were, and making lasting friendships. If your child or someone you know goes here, they are lucky, because this really is the best school in the county. Trust me ive seen the other ones.I wish I could have stayed forever. Love you Cedar Lane. LIONS RULE!!!!

Posted May 02, 2013
I volunteer a lot at Cedar Lane. I cover K-5, the atmosphere is very positive. The students receive Paw Prints for demonstrating acts of kindness. The Principal, Mr. Marple and Vice Principal, Mrs. Hines are active with the student body, staff and parents. I think the expectations of a school starts at the top. Mr. Marple defiantly sets the tone with a happy, supportive environment. He has an open door policy and is very easy to talk with. He works hard to have a team atmosphere. And it shows! Of course, kids have disagreements, however, these are taken care of immediately. I have 3 children. We have been at 2 other schools in Ashburn. And to tell you the truth, we have enjoyed all of them, however, Cedar Lane has a family environment. There are fun programs happening and everyone is involved. There is even a club for people who have English as their 2nd language. They pair up families that speak both languages. And toghether they attend the school programs. So bullying a problem...No, not at all. Just the opposite. Congratulations to the entire staff who make Cedar Lane a positive place to learn!

Posted February 09, 2013
This school lacks what many of the other Ashburn schools have. It's breeds a tolerance of bullying. The kids aren't properly supervised on the playground so when bullying issues occur, it is always one childs word against another and nothing is done. The bullied kids can't go to the administration and have no recourse but to switch schools. Very disappointed in this school.

Posted January 19, 2013
We have been at Cedar Lane for almost 5 years and it has been an amazing experience. There are many schools that can boast great test scores, but Cedar Lane is more than that. The school is a very special environment of tolerance and inclusion which is important for all students - from special ed to the gifted. The culture starts with the amazing administration and is pervasive throughout the school.

Cedar Lane Elementary School
43700 Tolamac Dr, Ashburn, VA  20147
Last modified Cedar Lane Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.