Ashburn, VA
Students enrolled: 1,760

Briar Woods High School 4

Posted July 17, 2015
BWHS is a large academically challenging school and has lots to offer students. As a parent, I saw the need for my kids to be connected to a club/team to help them find their way. I highly recommend the Band as a way to connect. The director is truly a wonderful leader who respects students and makes BWHS feel more like home.

Posted May 27, 2015
My son is very happy at Briar Woods. Students are very supportive to each others, have amble of extracurricular and social activities. Not to mention sports programs are fantastic. The academics are equally great. Most of the teachers are very proactive, well educated, and keep the parent in the loop on what is happening in class.

Posted September 28, 2014
Briar Woods is the universe. This school has the best academics and athletics. I am so proud to be a Falcon and will always be able to honor that. I wouldn't want to graduate from anywhere else. The reputation this school has made is fabulous. No other high school can compete with this school in any way. Briar Woods was the best, is the best, and will always remain the best. I have given my soul to this school and remember it everyday of my life. I am one of the luckiest people of whom currently go to Briar Woods. Keep the spirit and the excellence up Falcons!!!! Bleed Navy Blue and Orange!!!!!

Briar Woods High School 1

Posted September 02, 2014
Briar Woods is unfortunately a huge disappointment. The kids are quite disrespectful, using phones in class non-stop, swearing, ignoring the teachers, overall very poor behavior. The teachers are out of touch and one teacher uses foul language in class frequently. Cannot in good faith recommend this school.

Briar Woods High School 2

Posted December 09, 2013
I moved here from last year and I have found this school to be extremely sub-par. The school itself is nice aesthetically speaking but the academics is poor. AP classes are not set out to challenge you but just to give you rigorous work. They seem to take more pride in sports and clubs than academics, which in my opinion should not be a school's top priority. The teachers are unresponsive, even when I'm seeking extra help and the students have no real sense of motivation to do work. It is frustrating for me because I would have expected the "#1 school" in the "#1 county" to show that they're truly deserving of that title. Unfortunately, I can say that they do not. In fact, every school in Loudoun is terrible. I would recommend moving to Fairfax County where schools like McLean and Oakton offer far superior academics and teacher.

Posted October 01, 2013
We moved from Europe and we are so happy that we found this school. Thx

Briar Woods High School 3

Posted June 12, 2012
I am a former teacher at this school. While I enjoyed my students overall,and had some outstanding well motivated ones, I encountered a huge sense of "entitlement" among parents and students here, more than anywhere I've worked previously. This was regularly reflected in parent/student attitudes about grades throughout the year. Some parents were extremely demanding and refused to accept the fact their child might not get an A or a B - and some tried intimidating/bullying me regarding grades given, or making comments/complaints about their perceptions of being "too hard" a grader. In my opinion there is rampant grade inflation at this school which seems to be the definite expected norm to adapt to, and is fostered by both student/parent and administrative expectations and attitudes. I didn't have behavior issues with students here, but found it discouraging to adapt to this school's overall culture and climate, and lack of administrative support in some respects, even though my students overall were hardworking and respectful, and my immediate colleagues were overall helpful during the year.
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 10, 2012
Briar Woods is a great school. There dreama, academics and sports are good! how is stonebridge better?

Briar Woods High School 4

Posted July 14, 2011
I graduated from BW this year and it was the best 4 years of my life. I was on the cheerleading team my freshmen and sophomore year and I did drama freshmen through senior year as well as being a hockey manager. Although some teachers aren't the best, my overall experience at Briar Woods was amazing! It was great to be a part of a class that created traditions as well as having my senior year be the football, cheerleading, and softball state champs year. I wouldn't trade my experience as a falcon for anything. Forever Briar Woods <3

Posted May 03, 2011
I am a Briar Woods alumni. Sure, some of the classes were easy but it was a new school establishing itself, it won't be perfect. I took more than 5 AP classes and felt sufficiently challenged. The AP French class I took was far more challenging than the 300 level French i tested into in college! Loved the art department and the rest of the staff. Everyone was supportive and it was the best three years of high school. I attended Stone Bridge my freshman year and hated it. I felt lost in the crowd and you only got recognition if you were an all star. Sorry, but Briar Woods was way better.

Briar Woods High School
22525 Belmont Ridge Road, Ashburn, VA  20148
Last modified Briar Woods High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Briar Woods High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top